Penn State and Iowa Set to Battle in Non-Conference Dual

pin2win

@hagertony
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The University of Iowa and Penn State University announced Friday that the two schools will meet in a nonconference wrestling dual on Saturday, Dec. 21, at 8 p.m. (CT) on Mediacom Mat inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

The Hawkeyes and Nittany Lions have met every year since 1982, but their annual meeting was omitted from the Big Ten schedule when conference dates were announced earlier this summer. The upcoming dual will be the 36th meeting between the schools. Iowa leads the all-time series, 26-7-2.

Iowa and Penn State have combined to win the last six NCAA titles. The Hawkeyes have won 23 national championships in program history, including a three-year run from 2008-10, while the Nittany Lions enter the 2013-14 season as three-time defending NCAA champions.

The dual is considered a special event, and is not included in the Iowa wrestling season ticket package. Season ticket holders will have the first opportunity to purchase tickets to the dual beginning Sept. 23. Beginning Oct. 7, all seats will be available for purchase to the general public. Tickets are $15 for adults and $8 for youth. There is no admission charge for UI students or children five-years old and younger, but everyone entering the arena must have a ticket.

The dual will be televised live by BTN at 8 p.m. (CT). The complete BTN wrestling schedule will be announced at a later date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possible Matchups?

125 - Clark vs Megaludis
133 - Ramos vs Guilibon
141 - Dziewa vs Beitz
149 - Grothus vs Alton
157 - DSJ vs Dalton
165 - Moore vs Taylor
174 - Evans vs Brown
184 - Lofthouse vs Ruth
197 - Burak vs McIntosh
285 - Telford vs Lawson

glad they made it happen. very cool. Ruth didn't graduate? crap, that dude is scary.

We have no one at 149# that is going to beat a 'conditioned or non conditioned ' Alton. This is the weight that hurts Iowa the most.

Possible Matchups?

125 - Clark vs Megaludis
133 - Ramos vs Guilibon
141 - Dziewa vs Beitz
149 - Grothus vs Alton
157 - DSJ vs Dalton
165 - Moore vs Taylor
174 - Evans vs Brown
184 - Lofthouse vs Ruth
197 - Burak vs McIntosh
285 - Telford vs Lawson

there are so many toss ups here. what a great dual, i can't wait for it. Iowa better come ready to roll for this one. not a lot of holes in PSU's lineup, but we'll have a pretty good team as well.

They talked about this meet with Barta on the Football pre-game on Saturday. He said that season ticket holders would have the first shot at their seats. Have those emails went out that those tickets were available?

Since it wasn't part of the official Big Ten scheduling (i.e. the schools are doing this independently of the conference), it doesn't count towards the conference records. That's all that's meant by non-conference dual.

Since it wasn't part of the official Big Ten scheduling (i.e. the schools are doing this independently of the conference), it doesn't count towards the conference records. That's all that's meant by non-conference dual.

I agree with what you write. But it would be odd to see Iowa and PSU tie for the conference Dual Championship....while the winner of this "non-sanctioned" event would not be credited with the outright title. (BTW - i know minny and osu have good teams this year too so they may factor into the equation)

Email arrived for Season Ticket holders telling them that they have until October 4th to place your ticket orders for this event. This will be a "premium" dual with adults costing $15, Youth Tickets (6-18) $8, Children 5 and Under Free. Everyone will need a ticket to enter.

Latest posts