PEMSL

so, 30 lbs from FR season? still, that's a damn good bit of weight. he is certainly showing dedication. now, if he can just manage to consistently hit the 15 - 17 ft jumper, he could wind up getting minutes at the 3. i don't believe for a minute he is 6'8"/6'9". he looks more like 6'6"/6'7" tops.

so, 30 lbs from FR season? still, that's a damn good bit of weight. he is certainly showing dedication. now, if he can just manage to consistently hit the 15 - 17 ft jumper, he could wind up getting minutes at the 3. i don't believe for a minute he is 6'8"/6'9". he looks more like 6'6"/6'7" tops.

There is no way on earth he’s getting minutes at the 3 over Joe W!!!! That’s not happening for a guy that can hit from anywhere and a guy who has made zero 15-17 footers at Iowa. Then you have Baer playing the 3 too and maybe Dailey.

Losing weight does not mean getting minutes and hitting long jumpers.

One thing I always liked about Pemsl is he never backed down from anyone. A team needs an enforcer at times to get respect! Also losing that weight will make him quicker and more athletic, more rebounds etc.

I really like Pemsl's work ethic. Unfortunately, he's too small to play inside and not enough handles or shot to play outside. Classic tweener. Surprised he hasn't chosen to transfer.

Perhaps he's happy with the role he is in. If so, more power to him. Have no idea how he is going to get PT, but again, if he's up to the challenge, then go get it young man!

If I'm being honest...I liked Pemsl's game with the weight. He was a bruiser, he could back people down and he took up more space. I think last year was a tough year for him. He played stronger as a freshman.
I was just about to say the same. I thought he made a good banger down there his first year. I felt that was something to build on not tinker with. I don't think him sliming down will have the desired effect. I don't think getting a tad quicker will improve his game if he can get shoved around inside more. He's not a guy that's going to take anyone off the dribble from the wing or spot up and hit 18 and further out jumpers. He may have had room to get a little leaner and stay strong but dropping 30 lbs is quite a bit considering he came in at like 240-250ish? I wonder who's idea that is and if it'll end up being a good one or not...

I was just about to say the same. I thought he made a good banger down there his first year. I felt that was something to build on not tinker with. I don't think him sliming down will have the desired effect. I don't think getting a tad quicker will improve his game if he can get shoved around inside more. He's not a guy that's going to take anyone off the dribble from the wing or spot up and hit 18 and further out jumpers. He may have had room to get a little leaner and stay strong but dropping 30 lbs is quite a bit considering he came in at like 240-250ish? I wonder who's idea that is and if it'll end up being a good one or not...

He probably just got tired of the fat jokes.

He probably just got tired of the fat jokes.
Ha. Well he probably did notice his endurance and how he feels overall improve having done the work to get in that kind of shape. If that extra weight wasn't exactly healthy then it'll be better for him in that way. Just might not make him a more effective player for the role he has.

There is no way on earth he’s getting minutes at the 3 over Joe W!!!! That’s not happening for a guy that can hit from anywhere and a guy who has made zero 15-17 footers at Iowa. Then you have Baer playing the 3 too and maybe Dailey.

Losing weight does not mean getting minutes and hitting long jumpers.

so, what if baer slides to 4? Baer isn't a consistent scorer. He's a hustle guy that can make some 3's and rebound and play defense. IF Pemsl can make that jumper, he's a weapon because he'd be a mismatch because a typical three won't be able to guard him down low. then if you put a bigger guy on him, he could take you outside. Remember, I said IF. I don't see Daily at the 3. He's still at 1&2 unless and until we get a pg. if we do get a pg, then he's a 2 and maybe some 3.

so, what if baer slides to 4? Baer isn't a consistent scorer. He's a hustle guy that can make some 3's and rebound and play defense. IF Pemsl can make that jumper, he's a weapon because he'd be a mismatch because a typical three won't be able to guard him down low. then if you put a bigger guy on him, he could take you outside. Remember, I said IF. I don't see Daily at the 3. He's still at 1&2 unless and until we get a pg. if we do get a pg, then he's a 2 and maybe some 3.
There's a better chance of Daily seeing some mins at the 3 than Baer getting any at the 4. Not just because Baer isn't even remotely a 4 but just pure depth chart. Iowa has Cook taking the majority of those mins hopefully 30-35 of them. Then it's a dog fight between Pemsl, Nunge and Kreiner for more of them. Kreiner may play some 5 behind Garza but those two spots are pretty interchangeable. To say it's a log jam at the big man spots would be an understatement.

The 3 may be a dog fight between Baer and Wieskamp… Some think Wiskamp may start there and have Baer come off the bench. That would surprise me as far as if that's how it is day 1. I could see it getting to that later in the season if Wieskamp is playing well but I guess that'll tell us just how good he's been looking if Fran does that.

They were wrong on this last year and wrong on this again this year IMO. Granted if they thought this would help limit injury risk that’s another story. My personal thought would have been to bulk him up and have him and Kriener fight for the backup minutes at the 5 position.

At the 4 I have him behind Cook, Nunge, and Baer. Yes, Baer can play the 4. Michigan played Duncan Robinson primarily at the 4 last year. Iowa needs to play smaller not bigger. We played sooo many bigs last year that more athletic teams ran circles around us. The way spacing works in basketball you can’t really have 3 post players out there at once, and the post game in general is being used less and less in the sport. Cook and Garza is plenty of firepower down low, we need shooters and guys who can move their feet defensively around them.

They were wrong on this last year and wrong on this again this year IMO. Granted if they thought this would help limit injury risk that’s another story. My personal thought would have been to bulk him up and have him and Kriener fight for the backup minutes at the 5 position.

At the 4 I have him behind Cook, Nunge, and Baer. Yes, Baer can play the 4. Michigan played Duncan Robinson primarily at the 4 last year. Iowa needs to play smaller not bigger. We played sooo many bigs last year that more athletic teams ran circles around us. The way spacing works in basketball you can’t really have 3 post players out there at once, and the post game in general is being used less and less in the sport. Cook and Garza is plenty of firepower down low, we need shooters and guys who can move their feet defensively around them.[/QUOTE

Supposedly Pemsl is moving his feet a lot better and shooting it a lot better too. With all the injuries he has had, you can tell he is a gamer, and I hope the best for the guy. It will be interesting to see how it all works out this fall. They should be a pretty good team.

upload_2018-7-6_14-55-21.jpeg
maxresdefault.jpg

We have to stop putting players at the 3 that can't play the 3. Sorry, but Nunge, or Pemsl should never ever get any minutes at the 3 spot.
Agreed. I felt bad for Nunge last year being forced to play out of position. He actually got to start a few games at the 4/5 with Cook alongside him early in the year and played really well.

I’m really high on Nunge and think he brings something to the table that Kriener and Pemsl don’t. He’s two inches taller than both of them, moves his feet better, and has the better outside shooting stroke. He needs to be playing his minutes at the 4 where he can excel, unfortunately for Pemsl and Kriener that probably means less minutes for them.