Pemsl

Cordell is a good player, its to bad he has had all the injuries. He probably would be looking for a great year coming up if he was able to get the playing time, but it probably would be unlikely.

He's a beast around the hoop, no doubt, but has no range outside 6 feet. He could have great success at a mid-major, maybe even dominate, put up huge numbers, if that's what he's looking for. Would have to sit a year. Future will depend on his loyalty to Iowa bb, or his desire to get attention at the national level. Certainly, we all hope he stays!!!

Seems like Pemsl might be basically saying that if Cook comes back he goes, and if Cook stays, he will leave. I don't think it is about him not liking Cook, I think Pemsl just realizes that Cook >>>>> Pemsl and Fran might learn someday that you play the better player and sit the player who isn't as good.

Oh and we will be soooo much better next year if Cook stays.

pemsl needs to show a lot more before he moves on from being just another player. he had an inconsistent SO season and that happens. pemsl must develop a 15 ft jumper. it was clear as day that teams backed way off pemsl when he had the ball 10 ft and out and took away the high-low because they knew he wouldn't take a 15 ft jumper and if he did, he wouldn't make it. is he a beast around the rim? that is going a bit to far, for me. he misses a lot of bunnies, but he is a good rebounder. i agree w/deano, if cook comes back, pemsl leaves. i said that right after the season ended.

There's got to be a niche for someone with Cordell's skill set on a good team. The question, as some have stated, is will that be on a power five team. I don't think he's incapable of hitting the fifteen footer. I just don't think he has confidence in it (He missed an open jumper from the free throw line his freshman year that could have sent the TCU game into another overtime.)

The fact that he is still frustrated six weeks after the season ended is not a good sign. And Fran going to be in the same boat next year as he was this year. How is he going to find enough minutes for his fours and fives to make everyone happy. Especially if Cook returns. Wagner leaving opens up a little bit of daylight and I would love to see Nunge settle in at the three, but he's going to have to show he can guard threes. If anything, with Connor presumably healthy and if Cook leaves I can see more smaller lineups out there with Moss/Bohannon at the two, Weiscamp at the three, and Baer at the four. That would really create a logjam inside. One more caveat: Will Garza avoid the dreaded "sophomore jinx" that plagued Cordell this year. Where is Kreiner going to get his minutes? He seemed to shoot ahead of Pemsl once he finally got healthy and that could make things really difficult for Cordell. And you still have Dailey out there, what is his role going to be.

Fran needs to get these damn classes balanced out. You can't bring in five or six freshmen in one year and not redshirt anyone and expect them all to be happy. And we could be looking at a similar situation in 2020 as we may have as many as six seniors on the 2019-2020 team.

Last edited:
Cordell is a good player, its to bad he has had all the injuries. He probably would be looking for a great year coming up if he was able to get the playing time, but it probably would be unlikely.
Interestingly enough he had a much better season last year when he was playing hurt, and many around here thought Fran gave him more minutes than he deserved this year.

I think the kid just is who he is. He's not going to magically get a smooth 15 foot jumper next yr. It depends what his goals are. Does he want to play a lot and be a bigger part of the team? Because he shouldn't find that at Iowa. He's good enough to have a role but he isn't good enough to warrant 20 plus mins a game. He just don't. Can he get you 10 pts and 5 boards. Sure can there's games he can do that. But that's pretty much his ceiling at this level on this team. What's his ceiling someplace else? Heck if I know just depending on where he'd go I suppose. But he's talking like a guy that's got wandering eyes so I guess we'll have to wait a while and see

I think the kid just is who he is. He's not going to magically get a smooth 15 foot jumper next yr. It depends what his goals are. Does he want to play a lot and be a bigger part of the team? Because he shouldn't find that at Iowa. He's good enough to have a role but he isn't good enough to warrant 20 plus mins a game. He just don't. Can he get you 10 pts and 5 boards. Sure can there's games he can do that. But that's pretty much his ceiling at this level on this team. What's his ceiling someplace else? Heck if I know just depending on where he'd go I suppose. But he's talking like a guy that's got wandering eyes so I guess we'll have to wait a while and see

The videos show he had one before Iowa. I watched him intently as Iowa was recruiting a player on my son's team with similar attributes at the same time. The other kid I thought had more upside, but today is Mo Valley and didn't play much this year. Pem did have a shot. He plays differently now than the recruiting videos.

Seems like Pemsl might be basically saying that if Cook comes back he goes, and if Cook stays, he will leave. I don't think it is about him not liking Cook, I think Pemsl just realizes that Cook >>>>> Pemsl and Fran might learn someday that you play the better player and sit the player who isn't as good.

Oh and we will be soooo much better next year if Cook stays.

In any event, it sounds like Fran can bank on one ship being open.

I for one hope that Pemsl stays, especially if Cook goes. His experience is invaluable to a team that looks horribly young AGAIN losing 2 seniors and a junior in the offseason. I think his progress was hampered more than he'd like to admit by the off-season surgery. I think he comes back this year and starts at the 4 if he stays healthy.

In any event, it sounds like Fran can bank on one ship being open.

That's a good point. And I know they keep recruiting on the DL, but we haven't even heard murmurs about any transfers or other 2018 prospects. I think everyone knows it's silly to bank multiple scholarships with the options a grad transfer offers. Get help in areas of need for a season while still effectively banking the scholarship anyway.

I for one hope that Pemsl stays, especially if Cook goes. His experience is invaluable to a team that looks horribly young AGAIN losing 2 seniors and a junior in the offseason. I think his progress was hampered more than he'd like to admit by the off-season surgery. I think he comes back this year and starts at the 4 if he stays healthy.

I don't know about horribly young. The Senior is Uhl...who never developed into a presence or leader. Ellingson and Wagner are the others. (I count 1 Sr and 2 Jrs). Charlie Rose wasn't a factor. All the underclassmen played significant minutes. Most teams lose 2-3 players each year, and quite often they were key contributors. Not so much here.

A team dominated by Sophs and Jrs who've started or played significant minutes in nearly every game in their career isn't horribly young. JBo, Cook, Baer, Garza, Moss, Kreiner are way past rookie status. Pemsl's depth helps, no doubt. but "youth" will not be a valid excuse this year.

Last edited:
The videos show he had one before Iowa. I watched him intently as Iowa was recruiting a player on my son's team with similar attributes at the same time. The other kid I thought had more upside, but today is Mo Valley and didn't play much this year. Pem did have a shot. He plays differently now than the recruiting videos.
I stand corrected. I googled this on him. He looks so much smoother and more athletic then for some reason too. Maybe some of this was before he started having knee issues? But yeah he was capable of hitting some shots. His confidence must be shot at taking them or something because he just doesn't even attempt them.

Pemsl seems to be a real good kid and any decision he makes i hope turns out good for him. If he does stay at Iowa I think he needs to accept a role player status.

I don't know about horribly young. The Senior is Uhl...who never developed into a presence or leader. Ellingson and Wagner are the others. (I count 1 Sr and 2 Jrs). Charlie Rose wasn't a factor. All the underclassmen played significant minutes. Most teams lose 2-3 players each year, and quite often they were key contributors. Not so much here.

A team dominated by Sophs and Jrs who've started or played significant minutes in nearly every game in their career isn't horribly young. JBo, Cook, Baer, Garza, Moss, Kreiner are way past rookie status. Pemsl's depth helps, no doubt. but "youth" will not be a valid excuse this year.

I meant from next season's roster: Ellingosn Sr, Wagner Sr, Cook Jr. And I'll concede, I did go overboard in calling it "horribly young". However, if we're talking about also losing Pemsl, then our starting lineup may well be Bohannon (2), Moss (2), Wieskamp (0), Nunge(0.5), Garza(1) with the numbers in parentheses being years with starting experience. With Cook and Pemsl back, we'd be considered a veteran team. Without them, we'll be about average, leaning toward young...which I agree is an annoying narrative about why we aren't good.

I stand corrected. I googled this on him. He looks so much smoother and more athletic then for some reason too. Maybe some of this was before he started having knee issues? But yeah he was capable of hitting some shots. His confidence must be shot at taking them or something because he just doesn't even attempt them.

Jiminy Christmas, I forgot how good Pemsl's high school tapes look. I think it goes to show how unhealthy he's been. We've never seen him play above the rim or shoot like that at Iowa. Makes me wonder how much practice time he's had to dedicate toward rehab between the knee and the hernia. I feel horrible for him.

How did Fran not foresee this when he kept adding bigs? Not only did he fail miserably at constructing a roster, but somehow failed to realize this would leave everyone unhappy with their role and playing time.

I'm guessing Cook would feel more inclined to return if he weren't limited to 26 MPG during his first two years on bad Iowa teams and consistently sat with just 2 fouls.

Jiminy Christmas, I forgot how good Pemsl's high school tapes look. I think it goes to show how unhealthy he's been. We've never seen him play above the rim or shoot like that at Iowa. Makes me wonder how much practice time he's had to dedicate toward rehab between the knee and the hernia. I feel horrible for him.
He's not the same kid he was then that's for sure....

Latest posts