Pemsl season ending surgery

I like our current rotation and don't see many minutes for Pemsl. I think this is good for both Pemsl and the team this year and long term. Lose Cook and Baer. Add Nunge, Pemsl and Patrick...if he doesn't RS.

I hope it all goes well. He's had a tough time going back to high school.

Everything depends on the initial injury (what it really was). If i'ts a few screws, maybe back in full shape. It he has major metal in his knee, it will never be right. If that's the case I'd suggest to him speaking from experience to not risk injuring the good knee as having a bad one later on is bad enough. Two really reduces the quality of life.

Everything depends on the initial injury (what it really was). If i'ts a few screws, maybe back in full shape. It he has major metal in his knee, it will never be right. If that's the case I'd suggest to him speaking from experience to not risk injuring the good knee as having a bad one later on is bad enough. Two really reduces the quality of life.
One would have to think there's a possibility this could be career ending. The trick is convincing a 20 year old.
I can remember being twenty, twenty one and spending my summers working for a grocery service for towboat barges on the Mississippi River (top that one, Gold:)). Anyway, I remember jumping onto the steel hull of those barges from the lockwall with a box or ice chest in my hands. I remember thinking I was indestructible. I'm 53 now and my knees remind my daily that I wasn't.

I think Nunge really needs more development. They are deep enogh at that position anyway. They havent had Pemsl up until this point anyway and have found a nice rotation that works with Cook, Garza and Kreiner. No reason to add to the rotation and play too many like last year. My $.02.

...unless Cook's head bump is more serious thab first thought.

One would have to think there's a possibility this could be career ending. The trick is convincing a 20 year old.
I can remember being twenty, twenty one and spending my summers working for a grocery service for towboat barges on the Mississippi River (top that one, Gold:)). Anyway, I remember jumping onto the steel hull of those barges from the lockwall with a box or ice chest in my hands. I remember thinking I was indestructible. I'm 53 now and my knees remind my daily that I wasn't.

Yes that is hard to do. I was older than that and completely inverted my leg at the knee in soccer. Major reconstruction with lots of apparatus stuff in my knee.I was kneeling on my knee....backwards. TTore everything but the ACL and obliterated my meniscus. I know have someone poor souls meniscus. It really does change your life when you get to be our age. Too young to walk like a cripple. Too young for a knee replacement. I do face plants periodically and likely will be a real problem as I get into my "mature" years.

But yes, it's hard to convince young guys.

Sorry, but I can't top jumping onto bridges. I did wash windows at Washington County Hospital on the second floor ledge without a safety line. They couldn't see me and the windows were dirty. Gave me a chance to look into the room where I was born. Stupid on my part. It was cool seeing where I was hatched.

But you went to an Iowa game with Wisky fans. That's thinking you are indestructible isn't it? that would be cool working on barges like that. I'd rather wash windows on the 2nd floor than sit with Wisky fans. Michigan I think are the worst.

Yes that is hard to do. I was older than that and completely inverted my leg at the knee in soccer. Major reconstruction with lots of apparatus stuff in my knee.I was kneeling on my knee....backwards. TTore everything but the ACL and obliterated my meniscus. I know have someone poor souls meniscus. It really does change your life when you get to be our age. Too young to walk like a cripple. Too young for a knee replacement. I do face plants periodically and likely will be a real problem as I get into my "mature" years.

But yes, it's hard to convince young guys.

Sorry, but I can't top jumping onto bridges. I did wash windows at Washington County Hospital on the second floor ledge without a safety line. They couldn't see me and the windows were dirty. Gave me a chance to look into the room where I was born. Stupid on my part. It was cool seeing where I was hatched.

But you went to an Iowa game with Wisky fans. That's thinking you are indestructible isn't it? that would be cool working on barges like that. I'd rather wash windows on the 2nd floor than sit with Wisky fans. Michigan I think are the worst.
I only delivered groceries to the barges. And occasionally drove workers to or from the airport. What was cool was the midstream service, when you drove a johnboat right up to the galley door.

River workers can be real characters. And well compensated. But it's also hot in the summer and very dangerous. Everyone knows a deckhand who has fallen overboard or gotten crushed between two barges. Lines, ropes, and cables can break at any time going through the locks. (I once stepped on a cable and severely sprained my ankle). You are also away from your family for thirty days at a time. Of course your also home for the same.

Last edited:
I only delivered groceries to the barges. And occasionally drove workers to or from the airport. What was cool was the midstream service, when you drove a johnboat right up to the galley door.

River workers can be real characters. And well compensated. But it's also hot in the summer and very dangerous. Everyone knows a deckhand who has fallen overboard or gotten crushed between two barges. Lines, ropes, and cables can break at any time going through the locks. (I once stepped on a cable and severely sprained my ankle). You are also away from your family for thirty days at a time. Of course your also home for the same.

I know a guy who captains one. And we're hours from the river. After reading Huck Finn, I thought it would be cool. He seems to enjoy the time away from his family and is cool when with them. Kinda weird. Grandparents lived near some locks on the MS. Was totally taken in. Ya, I'm jealous you even got that close.

I know a guy who captains one. And we're hours from the river. After reading Huck Finn, I thought it would be cool. He seems to enjoy the time away from his family and is cool when with them. Kinda weird. Grandparents lived near some locks on the MS. Was totally taken in. Ya, I'm jealous you even got that close.
Many barge workers are from Illinois, especially the Saint Louis area down to the Cairo area.

I grew up within walking distance of the the Mississippi, probably threw a fishing rod in the river before I ever threw a baseball or shot a basketball.