Pemsl season ending surgery

"Remove hardware"..........What does that even mean?
Scar tissue? Bone chips? Other debris? Pemsl is so used to surgical procedures at this point that it is probably, for him, as routine as getting his blood pressure checked.

It's your time Ryan. Be ready.

Long term is it a good thing or bad thing for Pemsl to redshirt.
Hard to say. Wade Lookingbill tried to make a go of it his junior year and opted after two games to have season ending back surgery. He came back after the redshirt to be a solid bench player his fourth year (after being overmatched as a starter his sophomore year) then played his best ball the second half of his fifth year. He really stepped up after the Chris Street tragedy and was the first Hawkeye to receive the annual Chris Steet award.

Pemsl has had as much trouble with his knees and legs as one of Lookingbill's teammates, Rodell Davis. We never got the chance to see the real Rodell after two major knee operations and we may have already seen the best of Pemsl. Bad knees and basketball are a bad combination.

Scar tissue? Bone chips? Other debris? Pemsl is so used to surgical procedures at this point that it is probably, for him, as routine as getting his blood pressure checked.

It's your time Ryan. Be ready.

Radio (Gary and Bobby) mentioning Cordell was talking about how he could feel the screws that were implanted in his knee earlier and it was bothering him. They decided he should have the surgery to help fix that.

Radio (Gary and Bobby) mentioning Cordell was talking about how he could feel the screws that were implanted in his knee earlier and it was bothering him. They decided he should have the surgery to help fix that.

That's what I assumed hardware meant.

Strange? I had three screws in my top femur/ hip area. They bother me sometimes when I lay on my side. Iowa City doctor / va says he could take them out and I could go back to do what I want in a week with no limitations. Odd if it screws it would be season ending. I'm sure what ever they were holding together as far as bone to bone would be healed.

So, no talk about Nunge changing his mind?
I was thinking the same thing myself.

It's very rare, however, for a coach to reverse a redshirt once it's agreed upon. If it has happened, we're getting near the point of no return of any possible precedents.

Tom Davis kept Acie Earl on redshirt in 1989 even after we lost Michael Ingram for the season and Matt Bullard for almost two months, to name one example.

Boy that guy has had some tough luck. Hopefully all good after this. Might not be a bad deal for Iowa though to have his game the next few years.

I was thinking the same thing myself.

It's very rare, however, for a coach to reverse a redshirt once it's agreed upon. If it has happened, we're getting near the point of no return of any possible precedents.

Tom Davis kept Acie Earl on redshirt in 1989 even after we lost Michael Ingram for the season and Matt Bullard for almost two months, to name one example.

I think Nunge really needs more development. They are deep enogh at that position anyway. They havent had Pemsl up until this point anyway and have found a nice rotation that works with Cook, Garza and Kreiner. No reason to add to the rotation and play too many like last year. My $.02.

I think Nunge really needs more development. They are deep enogh at that position anyway. They havent had Pemsl up until this point anyway and have found a nice rotation that works with Cook, Garza and Kreiner. No reason to add to the rotation and play too many like last year. My $.02.

Don't forget about Baer at the 4 as well. He played there quite a bit last night with Cook at the 5 due to Pitt playing small with 4 guards. Plenty of depth still with Cook, Garza, Kriener, & Baer at the 4 & 5. If another one of these 4 have to miss some time, they'd still be fine until foul trouble hits.

Feel bad for Cordell, but I know exactly what he's dealing with. I'm scheduling a similar surgery for January. The screws from a compound fracture are killing me when I try to do anything athletic. The reason for the loss of season is that when he has them out...he can't really do any serious lateral movement for 3-4 weeks or risk a break or damage where the screws were removed depending on where they are. They will need to put artificial bone in the area where the screws were to ensure closure of the holes...that process takes time to heal and strengthen.

If an elite athlete can't do full work for 3-4 weeks, then has to rehab for 3-4 weeks after that to get to peak production...then get some game time to shake off the rust...well...you get the picture...he gets fully recovered sometime in late February. He loses 80% of the season.

I can't imagine what this is like for him...i'm just riding my Peloton at a high level and it's painful...trying to compete with B10 basketball athletes, I can only imagine.