Pellet Grills

Sorry for replying without really reading the other replies, but I wanted to chime in with my pellet smoker experience.

I have a Rec Tec and I HIGHLY recommend it! The pellet technology in general is great, regardless of brand, because you can just set it and forget it. No need to baby it by watching and checking temps, etc. I realize there are some who enjoy doing that part of smoking, so it might not be for everyone. But the ease of it is what appealed to me.

As far as why I chose the Rec Tec:

HEAVY gauge stainless steel used throughout, making it an absolute tank. The thickness of the grill is what will set it apart from others, more durable and will last longer.

6 year warranty and some of the best customer service/support around! They include their cards with each smoker and encourage you to call/text them with ANY questions or concerns. I have used this many times when checking on certain cuts of meat and how long to smoke something or get hints, always a reply within an hour. Had a tear in my cover, asked them about it, without asking they sent out a new one.

They now make a mini along with their large 680, I hear it is great for camping.

There are also all kinds of mods being made or added to pellet smokers from all brands, if you get one or have one, be sure to check out all the different message boards, Facebook pages, etc for all types of hints, tricks, recipes. Some mods provide more smoke, or the new thing now is a pizza oven made by Green Mountain which heats up to over 900 degrees and cooks pizzas in 2-3 minutes.

Bottom line is these are fun to have and produce delicious food. My advice is to be sure to check out all specs to be sure you're getting the most bang for your buck. I'm happy with the Rec Tec. (Plus it has awesome chrome bull horns for handles!)

After looking, I really like those Rec Tec grills. Will see if I can save up the coin for that one instead of the $499 smaller Traeger or Cabelas.

May I ask what kind of deal you got for that? Where in Kalona?

I got mine from:

Grill Shack
1163 Kola Ave
Kalona, IA 52247
USA
319-325-6078

It's at Fred's Shed Auto Repair. Ben does the grill side, and Fred is his dad. :)

My wife called before Father's Day and got a discount. I got the Daniel Boone with WiFi, a bag of pellets, and a cover (not the blanket) for $724. Looking online, it would be about $800 according to Green Mountain's website. So not a huge discount, but better than nothing. He just got a shipment in, but I don't know if they're all spoken for or not. He said he can't keep them in stock long.

Originally I wasn't going to do the Wifi, because it was something you had to connect your phone to. Now the grill can apparently connect to your home WiFi, so you don't have the connect to the grill with your phone anymore.

Looks like there are a couple dealers in Cedar Rapids too. https://greenmountaingrills.com/find-a-dealer/

I got mine from:

Grill Shack
1163 Kola Ave
Kalona, IA 52247
USA
319-325-6078

It's at Fred's Shed Auto Repair. Ben does the grill side, and Fred is his dad. :)

My wife called before Father's Day and got a discount. I got the Daniel Boone with WiFi, a bag of pellets, and a cover (not the blanket) for $724. Looking online, it would be about $800 according to Green Mountain's website. So not a huge discount, but better than nothing. He just got a shipment in, but I don't know if they're all spoken for or not. He said he can't keep them in stock long.

Originally I wasn't going to do the Wifi, because it was something you had to connect your phone to. Now the grill can apparently connect to your home WiFi, so you don't have the connect to the grill with your phone anymore.

Looks like there are a couple dealers in Cedar Rapids too. https://greenmountaingrills.com/find-a-dealer/

Congrats. Looks nice. I see they have the Daniel Boone on their site right now for $549. Guessing without the WiFi. Still a good deal. Looks nicely made.

How long did you have to wait for it?

Just picked up my Green Mountain Daniel Boone last night in Kalona. Plan to assemble it this weekend and test it out!

You are gonna LOVE this unit. My wife doesn't even like BBQ much, but she loves everything I made on the Daniel Boone Pellet smoker.

If you wanna make something quick and easy, chicken breast on the smoker are awesome. Make sure you put the grates on DIRECT heat, turn it to 325 or 350, put the chicken breast one, flip after about 20 minutes, then cook til 160. It should take 40-60 min. depending on how thick the chicken breast are.

Of course everything else is awesome on it as well, you are gonna enjoy the heck out of that Pellet smoker!

You are gonna LOVE this unit. My wife doesn't even like BBQ much, but she loves everything I made on the Daniel Boone Pellet smoker.

If you wanna make something quick and easy, chicken breast on the smoker are awesome. Make sure you put the grates on DIRECT heat, turn it to 325 or 350, put the chicken breast one, flip after about 20 minutes, then cook til 160. It should take 40-60 min. depending on how thick the chicken breast are.

Of course everything else is awesome on it as well, you are gonna enjoy the heck out of that Pellet smoker!

Thanks Deano! I'll give this one a shot as a pellet-grill-virgin. :)

I like the size. Most people buy way too big of grills, IMO. Just takes more fuel when most times one just needs 300-400 cu inches of cooking space.

Yeah, I don't need anything huge. And I want something that the wife can fire up on her own if I'm not around. She absolutely hates to try and use our existing charcoal grill.

Latest posts