Payton Sandfort Going Through NBA Draft Process

Payton has a much quicker release that Kris, and probably much greater range. A guy like that can sometimes find a NBA team. NBA level defense might be a problem.
Payton does have a quick release. It's probably the quickest amongst the guys we've mentioned. But it's also an inconsistent one. He's been pretty streaky at times. All he's gotta do is impress the right teams GM at the right time as he's shooting well to maybe get a shot. What he does with it from there will be anybodies guess.

Payton does have a quick release. It's probably the quickest amongst the guys we've mentioned. But it's also an inconsistent one. He's been pretty streaky at times. All he's gotta do is impress the right teams GM at the right time as he's shooting well to maybe get a shot. What he does with it from there will be anybodies guess.
Consistency is the key to Py's future. I am counting/hoping he gains that consistency next season. If so Iowa will have a good record and Payton will get drafted. Otherwise, Europe here he comes.

The comp is Duncan Robinson. Am I guilty of the white guy comparison thing? Yeah, a little bit. If I am Payton, I am looking at DR, on how he got to the league and how he stuck. DR has made nearly 100 million dollars in the NBA, by being a 6’7 guy that can shoot. If you are Payton, that is the blueprint.

Last edited:
Peyton is definitely a potential NBA player, he's on the mock drafts as a Jr., which is also a good sign that they might be good enough to play at the NBA level. Takes a lot of the guess work out of it.

He got an invite to the NBA draft combine. It is dicey now, if he is coming back. If he lights it up at the combine, from a shooting standpoint, I am not sure he is coming back. Pryce is a big boy, he doesn’t need his older brother to hold his hand.

He got an invite to the NBA draft combine. It is dicey now, if he is coming back. If he lights it up at the combine, from a shooting standpoint, I am not sure he is coming back. Pryce is a big boy, he doesn’t need his older brother to hold his hand.
If he leans toward going nba, I know a guy who will “talk” to him…

How much would he improve his stock coming back to college? Always gray area and unknowns, but on the surface, I would say, it will be hard to raise it much. Age matters in the NBA more than it should.

Coming back did not help Garza's draft stock much, but he was the face of college basketball for a season. Imagine if he had NIL.

I cannot imagine PS is a first round pick. As such, he is likely going to have to grind his way in The G league for a year or more and hope for something to come along. Personally, I would prefer to come back to Iowa and be the man if the NIL money can at least be on par with G-League money, which I understand isn't all that much. Who knows, maybe he pops his senior year and averages 24 a game shooting 40% from 3. That might raise his stock some. He has, frankly, not been consistent during his college career. A strong senior campaign might solidify his stock a bit.

I can't see Peyton making it in the NBA at this point.

But I get why guys want to give it a shot rather than go to school and be on bad college teams.

But I don't think he is as good an athlete as Wiescamp and Joe was a much more consistent shooter.

I just don't see it at all.

I can't see Peyton making it in the NBA at this point.

But I get why guys want to give it a shot rather than go to school and be on bad college teams.

But I don't think he is as good an athlete as Wiescamp and Joe was a much more consistent shooter.

I just don't see it at all.
I am in the same boat, but in fairness, PS is a bit taller and gets his shots off quicker that JW. JW is a true shooting guard and that takes some athleticism. PS would be a squat 3 type player like a Kyle Korver. I just don't think he has shown that he has consistently shot the 3 at an elite level. Another year might show that.

A buddy I have lunch with swears he is likely to get drafted as this is a weak draft class. He said he is hearing 50/50 on whether he comes back. I will believe it when I see it.

PS is one of 78 guys invited to the NBA combine. A list that includes Zach Edey, Terrence Shannon, and Bronny James. Can we wait and see how he does before we declare he can’t make it?

PS is one of 78 guys invited to the NBA combine. A list that includes Zach Edey, Terrence Shannon, and Bronny James. Can we wait and see how he does before we declare he can’t make it?
No. A high number of nba draftees don’t even make rosters. It’s basic math at this point. Having the size and skill is a given. It really comes down to fit and those are incredibly hard to find

No. A high number of nba draftees don’t even make rosters. It’s basic math at this point. Having the size and skill is a given. It really comes down to fit and those are incredibly hard to find

Thank you Cyclone Larry for telling me something I already knew. Lets just see what he does at the combine first and go from there.

Obviously 78 guys is quite a few more than even get drafted. As we have seen, many second rounders never make rosters. I hope he does well at the combine. Its a great chance to get seen by scouts and to get feedback. From his tape alone, I think he is a maybe second rounder. He does have a skillset that narrowly has a place in the NBA, but a team maybe has one of him.

Unless the scouts tell him something different than my gut, I think he is better off coming back, taking some NIL money, being relevant in BB for one more year, and maybe having a breakout season that ups his stock. Absent injury, he won't be any worse off going into the draft next year.