Paul Chryst out at Wisconsin.

Can’t fire a coach, it’s not the Iowa way. Well it wasn’t Wiskys way either but their adapting.
Todd Lackluster and Mr. Davis say, “hmm.” Alford got out before the obvious happened. Didn’t we fire a wrestling coach a while back? Doyle got fired. A couple of football assistants bit the dusty trail. Yeah, I wish BF was gone or demoted to offensive line coach. So there is that…

16 million buyout no problemo... I gotta say that was a bad loss for them Saturday. No doubt but was it a fireable offense based on all that he's done there? I can't go that far no way. So there's obviously some other stuff behind the scenes of why they made such a bold move now. Maybe he's got a strained relationship with their new AD? He didn't hire him obviously. Maybe they are just so gung ho on not losing Leonard that they decided this was how to keep him? To be a fly on the wall to know the reasons would be interesting.

These ADs and schools do know how this makes them look when they so casually fire coaches with solid resumes right? I mean Nebraska is over a decade into trying to dig out of their self inflicted mess. Careful what you wish for Wisky. It's bold I'll give em that.

You are going to see this more and more as the TV deal $$$ comes in. Schools aren't strapped by the contracts and timing of them. They'll just pay them out because the money is so good now. When they need to move on, they're just going to pull the trigger and pay out. That TV deal $$$ is obviously playing into this convenience for schools to change on a dime.

You are going to see this more and more as the TV deal $$$ comes in. Schools aren't strapped by the contracts and timing of them. They'll just pay them out because the money is so good now. When they need to move on, they're just going to pull the trigger and pay out. That TV deal $$$ is obviously playing into this convenience for schools to change on a dime.
Yeah $ is no object anymore that's for sure. It's just interesting when schools decide when that 'need' is. I'd be curious to know how it's going over in Badger land. I could see some of them going both ways on it. Players don't seem none too happy about it. Short term wise could that lead to some transfering and decommitting of recruits?

It’s the SEC-ization of the sport. Keep up or not..............as one writer phrased it.

At least you know where WI stands with their expectations and is giving it more than lip service. No guarantees on how it turns out but gives them some time to take a look at Leonard as a possible replacement with little downside in doing so.

Now we can finally say that Barry rules with an Iron fist. There has to be more to this then his record obviously

Last edited:
Yeah $ is no object anymore that's for sure. It's just interesting when schools decide when that 'need' is. I'd be curious to know how it's going over in Badger land. I could see some of them going both ways on it. Players don't seem none too happy about it. Short term wise could that lead to some transfering and decommitting of recruits?

I lurked over there and you are absolutely correct on the divide about this. Some are saying about time or had to be done. Some are surprised at the timing. Nobody I saw was absolutely appalled by the decision.

To your second point, I don't know if it will have a huge impact on the players at Wisconsin in regards to transferring compared to other programs. There will prob be a few but I don't see a lot leaving due to the change in the HC at Wisconsin. I think making Leonard the interim is definitely going to help retain players.

Now we can finally say that Barry rules with an Iron fist. There has to be more to this then his record obviously
BA retired awhile ago they have some dude named Chris Mcintosh now who obviously didn't hire Chryst so there's no ties that bind with them. There's certainly more to the story then Chryst just had a bad game you're right about that.

BA retired awhile ago they have some dude named Chris Mcintosh now who obviously didn't hire Chryst so there's no ties that bind with them. There's certainly more to the story then Chryst just had a bad game you're right about that.
Yeah, I guess I did know that but thought he was still pretty close to things. That said, they may have needed to get rid of Barry for this to happen.

Yeah, I guess I did know that but thought he was still pretty close to things. That said, they may have needed to get rid of Barry for this to happen.
Another angle that'd be interesting to know. How close is he to a decision like this going down? He might have seen it on Twitter too or maybe he was a part of it. Hard telling

I don't know any of the details, but can only hope this blows up on Wisconsin similar to the decade Michigan had after forcing Carr out. Like maybe they have been targeting Leipold, thinking Leonhard will be content to stick around as DC for a couple more years. Or even assume they'll just go with Leonhard as a great fallback if Leipold doesn't come. (Or if a big name doesn't come swooping in). But maybe Leipold shuns them, and during that process UW pisses Leonhard off and a Nebraska or ISU or whoever throws more money at him than UW was...can only hope they downgrade with the next hire and face some instability for awhile...

With all the current and impending HC vacancies, it is very possible that Leonard got an offer which required an immediate commitment. Wisconsin had to put up or lose him.

I don't know any of the details, but can only hope this blows up on Wisconsin similar to the decade Michigan had after forcing Carr out. Like maybe they have been targeting Leipold, thinking Leonhard will be content to stick around as DC for a couple more years. Or even assume they'll just go with Leonhard as a great fallback if Leipold doesn't come. (Or if a big name doesn't come swooping in). But maybe Leipold shuns them, and during that process UW pisses Leonhard off and a Nebraska or ISU or whoever throws more money at him than UW was...can only hope they downgrade with the next hire and face some instability for awhile...

Wisconsin has gotten insanely lucky on all major coaching hires for like 30 freaking years. They're due to miss eventually.

The most staggering thing is how badly they got beaten on the lines on Saturday. They sure didn't look like Wisconsin, but all that said, if I were them I'd be content rolling with the punches and just try to get that line good again. If you get that line good, get a decent TE and then get lucky with another Russell Wilson type transfer that team would be set for a helluva run. You can't really philosophically change what you do if you are Wisconsin because Madison is so far north and if you ain't got lines and a run game, your goose is cooked in November.

What a world we live in.. Half the world is starving and homeless, and Universities (football programs) have millions of dollars to throw at fired football coaches. Sounds like up to 16 million for Chryst? God knows how much Nebraska is still paying former coaches. Yeah, yeah, I know all the booster crap & tv money. Still seems like priorities are way out of whack.

In the grand scheme of things it’s ridiculous. Think about the risk and salaries of firemen, nurses, police officers, paramedics, etc.

These are professions where peoples life’s are at risk and they make on the average $80k a year. We now pay head coaches the annual salary equal to almost 100 of the previously mentioned career salaries to equal one coaches .

These are people that report to work daily. Taking high risk to serve the public.

Speechless.

I'll speculate.

This wasn't all of a sudden. Things were not right for a while and it was showing up on the field. Those close to the program knew it was getting to the end. JL was meeting with the press every Tuesday. How many DC's do that? So its a surprise and not a surprise. Maybe PC had some personal issues that were impacting his ability as a head coach, maybe everyone knew it and maybe this was time.

With all the current and impending HC vacancies, it is very possible that Leonard got an offer which required an immediate commitment. Wisconsin had to put up or lose him.
I disagree in the sense that I don't think it was immediate immediate. I don't think Leonard was leaving his job in the middle of the season for another one. Especially if the new AD bluntly tells him look you're next in line here. I think they coulda played the year out with Chryst then made the move and not lost Leonard.

I think the new AD knew he'd wanted Leonard to be HC for awhile and losing to IL that badly at home with the writing on the wall being that this isn't going to be a good yr for them made it a move worth justified in his eyes.

It's funny as Wisky has always been one of the programs most similar to Iowa, going down to the style of play, culture and great fan support. Wisky was going to fill the seats in Camp Randall with a mediocre team similar to Iowa. Iowa will always have the fans because game day is a festival.

Wisky has shown that isn't enough on its own. Iowa has not at this point.

Don’t get me started on this subject. You’ve heard of things that are like a burr in your saddle? Well this subject is like a giant Cactus in my saddle. Iowa fans should be put on the show “FEAR FACTOR”

Spiders? Nope.
Snakes? Nope.
Heights? Nope

The fear of hiring a new coach who could possible finish in third or fourth pace in the West division when we already have a firm grip on second place. Finishing third or fourth would be absolutely humiliating for fans to suffer through that. Yep, that’s the fear. Don’t ever expect more because of the FEAR FACTOR.

I took a lot of math (maybe meth would have been better) courses in high school and college. Let me see if I can do a math problem.

2022- 2004= my high priced calculus calculator seems to equal 18 years. I wonder how many firemen, police officers, nurses (unless you know a nurse who works in a major hospital you have no idea how much shit they have to put up with) paramedics, military personnel, have suffered death, disease, or permanent injuries during those 18 years? I’d be fine with dropping another ZERO behind their salaries. Maybe two zeros if you really want to consider the importance these public servants make in peoples life’s.

I told you not to get me started.

I think in Iowa it’s like $65k. Remember that’s TOTAL HOUSEHOLD income.

Let’s see that’s eleven households to equal Brian’s one salary. Nothing immoral here.

In the grand scheme of things it’s ridiculous. Think about the risk and salaries of firemen, nurses, police officers, paramedics, etc.

These are professions where peoples life’s are at risk and they make on the average $80k a year. We now pay head coaches the annual salary equal to almost 100 of the previously mentioned career salaries to equal one coaches .

These are people that report to work daily. Taking high risk to serve the public.

Speechless.
Look at the salaries that professional sport players are getting. It is absolutely ridiculous at this point. Nobody needs to make 35 million dollar. Just absolutely nuts.

.................and when you point out the needs this world has, it's shocking and sad.