Patrick McCaffery - Workout Video

I think we're gonna have to give him some more time. He's still shooting from his chest.
Yeah I noticed this also. He needs to shoot the ball from over his head with his arms extended and at the height of his jump. Would like to see him put on more upper body muscle, but he's still got time.

Not sure he’s going to change his release point, but he can improve how quick he can get his shot off. A quicker release is more important at this point. No time to gather and shoot in the Big Ten. The competition is too good.

At 6’8/6’9 he can get away with a slightly lower release point, especially with his athleticism and ability to get past a taller slower player.

I think what’s impressive about the video is his ability to handle the basketball and his footwork to be able to complete the various moves. That’s fairly rare at that height and the reason he was rated so high.

He has some time here to keep getting stronger and put on some weight (hopefully).

As I’ve mentioned before Syracuse’s Marek Dolezaj is similar stature. Listed 6’10/185. He put up 10/6 this year for Cuse on 50% from the floor.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278032/marek-dolezaj

Last edited:
I saw him last week at the arena. He said things are moving in the right direction and he's feeling better more often. He looked really good, like he's adding some muscle.
That's great news. I'd love to see him on the floor for the Hawks.

If anyone is wondering, here is how the rest of Pat’s AAU team D1 Minnesota did this year as college freshman.

Zeke Nnaji (Arizona) (Iowa recruited) - 16.7 PPG / 8.9 RPG

Tyrell Terry (Stanford) (Iowa recruited) - 14.6 PPG / 3.2 APG

Matthew Hurt (Duke) - 9.7 PPG / 3.8 RPG

Tyler Wahl (Wisconsin) - key reserve for the Badgers

He s going to get his shot off...especially inside how?
I think he’s going to play the 3 spot primarily. I don’t think he’s going to be asked to post up back to the basket much. I also don’t think we are going to look for him to score a ton unless both Wieskamp and Garza go which seems unlikely. He should be good in transition and then hopefully knock down the open three at a decent clip. Effect the game in other ways with his length and athleticism.

Iowa doesn’t need scoring, but athleticism, length, and high basketball IQ, now that we could take.

I think he’s going to play the 3 spot primarily. I don’t think he’s going to be asked to post up back to the basket much. I also don’t think we are going to look for him to score a ton unless both Wieskamp and Garza go which seems unlikely. He should be good in transition and then hopefully knock down the open three at a decent clip. Effect the game in other ways with his length and athleticism.

Iowa doesn’t need scoring, but athleticism, length, and high basketball IQ, now that we could take.

Think back to IL. Conner shooting brought the back. No doubt he can shoot and maybe handle the ball.

Not being able to up and shoot over someone.....limiting. With JB, CM and PM...great passes for sure.

He s going to get his shot off...especially inside how?
He is not going to be playing the post. I see him and Joe T coming off the bench with the second unit. Pressing and defense those two are gonna be fun to watch. Both Joe with his athletic skills and speed and Patrick with his height and wingspan are gonna put some teeth into our full court press. This year we used it for slowing down teams, next year Iowa will be scoring points off T/O's. If JBo and Conner start, Joe T probable comes off the bench. With the incoming talent we should be able to make a formidable second unit. Patrick should be able to go all out and rest when he's tired. If seniors get an extra year I'm sure those won't count against the number of scholarships. Iowa could be extremely loaded next year if Garza comes back. Our second team could be Kreiner, Patrick, Joe T, top two freshman. I think Wiese bounces back next year with JBo back, teams won't be able to hound him like this year.

A 6'9 kid with a quick release and low release point can get shots off better than a 6'5 kid with a slow release and a high release point. Every individual kid knows the spacing he needs to get a shot off and shoots accordingly. Clearly he could get more shots off with a higher release point. But he will still get off plenty in his career.

He is not going to be playing the post. I see him and Joe T coming off the bench with the second unit. Pressing and defense those two are gonna be fun to watch. Both Joe with his athletic skills and speed and Patrick with his height and wingspan are gonna put some teeth into our full court press. This year we used it for slowing down teams, next year Iowa will be scoring points off T/O's. If JBo and Conner start, Joe T probable comes off the bench. With the incoming talent we should be able to make a formidable second unit. Patrick should be able to go all out and rest when he's tired. If seniors get an extra year I'm sure those won't count against the number of scholarships. Iowa could be extremely loaded next year if Garza comes back. Our second team could be Kreiner, Patrick, Joe T, top two freshman. I think Wiese bounces back next year with JBo back, teams won't be able to hound him like this year.
Here is a video of the exhibition game. Joe T and Pat seem to have some pretty good chemistry in transition.

A 6'9 kid with a quick release and low release point can get shots off better than a 6'5 kid with a slow release and a high release point. Every individual kid knows the spacing he needs to get a shot off and shoots accordingly. Clearly he could get more shots off with a higher release point. But he will still get off plenty in his career.
I thought Wieskamp was 6’7”.

Nicholas Baer 2.0

Latest posts