Patrick McCaffery Enters Transfer Portal

No one is saying this is because they players don't like Fran or don't want to play for Fran. I am saying this is because of money, support of the program and them likely being dissatisfied in Iowa City.

I think that's a problem - when we lose Peyton, Freeman or Dix here in the next week, I am sure it's just a sign of the times
Well, I agree with ya. Yes, if those players leave it's a sign there is a systemic issue. Not denying that.

I'm just saying that players are more driven by the chance to earn $$$$ than compared to a player just being disgruntled in the situation like back in the day.

I think we are on the same page.

We are going to see a lot more players enter the portal as a leveraging tool to get more money to stay too. Say you're already going to get 50k next year at your school. Well they aren't just going to say "you know what, here's 100k instead". But if you enter the portal and there's a threat of you leaving, they might change the price to 100k to keep you. I'm kinda hoping that happens with Perkins.

We are going to see a lot more players enter the portal as a leveraging tool to get more money to stay too. Say you're already going to get 50k next year at your school. Well they aren't just going to say "you know what, here's 100k instead". But if you enter the portal and there's a threat of you leaving, they might change the price to 100k to keep you. I'm kinda hoping that happens with Perkins.
What happens in the scenario where a player enters the port-hole looking to re-up his NIL $$ and the school takes in another player from portal but the original player decides to stay. Does he lose his scholarship if they're over the limit?

Signs point to his kids not wanting to play for Iowa though, I feel that it's a uphill battle convincing another parents that Iowa is a good experience and place to play.

And I feel like there are plenty of "signs" here right? Patrick going into the portal and Jack declaring he's not going to Iowa. If those aren't signs then I am not sure what signs are.
And, if I was recruiting against Iowa, I would use this against them. I would be saying why would you want to play there when Fran's kids don't even want to play for him anymore? Fair or unfair, I bet that will be used against us.

Right, that's what I said at the top when this came out, hopefully both players are using this as leverage, or hell, maybe Fran advised them to go into the portal, find out what you can make and then report back to him to see if Iowa can match it? Like, I could totally see a scenario with that.

But like, Peyton Sandfort has a covid year and isn't a lock for the NBA.

Sounds like most of this site is cool with him taking that last season of eligibility and going to play at Nebraska or Kansas, and in that scenario, the kid will have given his time to Iowa and there's just nothing we can do and that's the way things are now. He just wants to play ball and get paid and not have any scrutiny, who can blame him? At some point, this has to get fixed or we're just a feeder program to the top 30 teams in the country.

If that's the case, let's get a coach that doesn't develop (or at least not as good as Fran) or doesn't have an eye for talent (or at least not as good as Fran) because that sounds fucking terrible.

Too bad Iowa's not winning any bidding wars for TP. He's got a laundry list of who's who for offers. Indiana being one of them. It'll be interesting where he ends up but back at Iowa won't be it.

What happens in the scenario where a player enters the port-hole looking to re-up his NIL $$ and the school takes in another player from portal but the original player decides to stay. Does he lose his scholarship if they're over the limit?
If they fill it yes, that scholarship is gone. Fran has room and is likely going into the portal with a fat stack of monopoly money, so while I believe Iowa will fill those spots and bring on people, I'm willing to say that there's a 50/50 shot the spot is not upgraded and it's likely less than that. If Tony wants to come back, you make room for him somehow. Patrick can always walk on a season and Fran has indicated they'd do something like that if push came to shove in the past.

Too bad Iowa's not winning any bidding wars for TP. He's got a laundry list of who's who for offers. Indiana being one of them. It'll be interesting where he ends up but back at Iowa won't be it.
Heard from Ole Miss, Arizona State, Arkansas, Mizzou, Oklahoma, Indiana, Nebraska, UCLA, Miami and BYU in the first hour lol - Iowa is in trouble in basketball.

The optics aren't good, that's for sure, and no doubt opposing coaches will use this development against the program in recruiting. It is what it is.

At the end of the day though, we are looking at a climate where the primary (if not only) factor in recruiting will be the dollars. In that sense, Patrick leaving and Jack going elsewhere may be moot points.

The optics aren't good, that's for sure, and no doubt opposing coaches will use this development against the program in recruiting. It is what it is.

At the end of the day though, we are looking at a climate where the primary (if not only) factor in recruiting will be the dollars. In that sense, Patrick leaving and Jack going elsewhere may be moot points.
Thats true. Other coaches will say "Frans own kids don't want to play with him". The recruit will respond "great. So how much are you going to pay me?"

Heard from Ole Miss, Arizona State, Arkansas, Mizzou, Oklahoma, Indiana, Nebraska, UCLA, Miami and BYU in the first hour lol - Iowa is in trouble in basketball.
Imagine if Freeman hopped in... Hell He's probably being tampered with by that many or more too.

Imagine if Freeman hopped in... Hell He's probably being tampered with by that many or more too.
For whatever reason, him leaving doesn't make sense. I get that he's cut a little different. Someone tweeted at him that he shouldn't leave Iowa and he thumb downed it. I guess he doesn't swear, like at all, and is extremely loyal to coming here and playing with Hardin. He's going to work out with Frank and Luka this off season, he and Harding seem very committed to Fran. But ya know what? I thought Tony Perkins and Pat McCaffery were probably the MOST committed to Fran right? I mean, Pat and TP have been boys since day 1. They spend a lot of time together and with the entire McCaffery family. That's why this hurts me so much.... cause if those guys are going in the portal? It's truly a free for all, there's no loyalty and I don't know why, but I get a weird vibe that Fran is saying to them "hey, you can go make money and play somewhere else that's a better situation, you aren't trapped here" in these exit interviews.... and again, if I am TP's or PM's teammates, the last couple of days have been eye opening decisions about a program that has, so far, done really well with retention of it's best players.

Right, that's what I said at the top when this came out, hopefully both players are using this as leverage, or hell, maybe Fran advised them to go into the portal, find out what you can make and then report back to him to see if Iowa can match it? Like, I could totally see a scenario with that.

But like, Peyton Sandfort has a covid year and isn't a lock for the NBA.

Sounds like most of this site is cool with him taking that last season of eligibility and going to play at Nebraska or Kansas, and in that scenario, the kid will have given his time to Iowa and there's just nothing we can do and that's the way things are now. He just wants to play ball and get paid and not have any scrutiny, who can blame him? At some point, this has to get fixed or we're just a feeder program to the top 30 teams in the country.

If that's the case, let's get a coach that doesn't develop (or at least not as good as Fran) or doesn't have an eye for talent (or at least not as good as Fran) because that sounds fucking terrible.

Payton will test the NBA waters, get an evaluation and come back. I just don’t know what he is coming back to other than his brother is on the team.

Last edited:
For whatever reason, him leaving doesn't make sense. I get that he's cut a little different. Someone tweeted at him that he shouldn't leave Iowa and he thumb downed it. I guess he doesn't swear, like at all, and is extremely loyal to coming here and playing with Hardin. He's going to work out with Frank and Luka this off season, he and Harding seem very committed to Fran. But ya know what? I thought Tony Perkins and Pat McCaffery were probably the MOST committed to Fran right? I mean, Pat and TP have been boys since day 1. They spend a lot of time together and with the entire McCaffery family. That's why this hurts me so much.... cause if those guys are going in the portal? It's truly a free for all, there's no loyalty and I don't know why, but I get a weird vibe that Fran is saying to them "hey, you can go make money and play somewhere else that's a better situation, you aren't trapped here" in these exit interviews.... and again, if I am TP's or PM's teammates, the last couple of days have been eye opening decisions about a program that has, so far, done really well with retention of it's best players.

“Hey, you can go make money and play somewhere else that’s a better situation, you aren’t trapped here.”

That is one thing if he told his son that in private, but it is completely different if he told TP that. If he told TP that then it is time for Fran to go. I’m not saying you try and sell TP on some bullshit to come back, but you do lean on some of the positives if he were to come back and there are a few.

1711671858238.png

“Hey, you can go make money and play somewhere else that’s a better situation, you aren’t trapped here.” Just like you can get a good look at a T-Bone by sticking your head up a Bucther's Ass......

1711672016713.png

Here come's the meat wagon.....all because you used Fran's defense.

Didnt make sense for Hunter Dickerson to leave Michigan either. But he did.

Anyone and everyone on this roster is fair game. There is nothing stopping a seven, eight, even nine player mass exodus if it ever comes to that.

Perhaps if Brock transferred with him

Otherwise No Transfer for Owen

Just have a feeling they are committed to Iowa

Koch and Tadjo are promising players and hold promise for the future

Of course, this is the wait until next year bit

I don't have the sense of gloom that is prevalent

But if Freeman goes and Peyton declares for the NBA

I will have to reconfigure

Latest posts