Patrick McCaffery Enters Transfer Portal

I've been saying it for a year. Jack not wanting to play at Iowa was tough enough. Patrick now leaving is recruiting suicide. No way does our competition not use this against us and if I were a potential recruit I'd wonder what was going on as well
Yeah, it will be a miracle if this doesn’t have a snowball effect, and Fran has to know that. Patrick has to know that. I think we all know that.

This is why I’m pissed haha

I've been saying it for a year. Jack not wanting to play at Iowa was tough enough. Patrick now leaving is recruiting suicide. No way does our competition not use this against us and if I were a potential recruit I'd wonder what was going on as well
It's a pretty easy explanation tho. Fans are extra hard on coach's kids. It's pretty easy tp accept that explanation and that issue won't pertain to any future recruits.

But, but...the women. The town ..CHA loves a winner. I don't disagree....no 100% certainly a new guy pans out. But I only want to try it if Fran leaves voluntarily....no axing at this time.
I'm intrigued to find out what a new coach can do too. And like you said, only if Fran leaves voluntarily. With the state of our fanbase and NIL, I just don't see how we can get anyone that does better. And I also agree that there's a good chance Fran won't even be able to do as good as he's done in the past. Even if we hit lightning in a bottle, that coach will just bolt. We need someone with Iowa ties that dreams of being the coach here. That's the only way to solve that problem.

Too much effort reading between the lines in this thread. Earlier in the season Patrick took two weeks off. Dix took his place and Patrick no longer started. Prior to that pause it appeared Patrick was dealing with some internal issues. I'm surprised he made the decision to go in the portal. It remains to be seen if he get any offers.

Iowa, with or without NIL is going to add transfers.

Too much effort reading between the lines in this thread. Earlier in the season Patrick took two weeks off. Dix took his place and Patrick no longer started. Prior to that pause it appeared Patrick was dealing with some internal issues. I'm surprised he made the decision to go in the portal. It remains to be seen if he get any offers.

They're down to nine scholarship players. They have no choice.

Whatever happened to the original portal, junior college transfers? Some coaches would pick one up every other year or so. Others would rely on them as their lifeblood. You could get one with sophomore or junior eligibility and they would be eligible immediately. Now you never hear of them.

This is very unfortunate. I wish Patrick the best at his next stop. The kid was an absolute stud while at Iowa. I’m certainly going to miss him.

I think this obviously has some merit. I also think maybe Patrick does his own thing next season and Fran bails next year and they move closer to wherever Jack decides to go. I was actually surprised Patrick didn't just hang it up since next year will be his COVID year.

I assume PMac has graduated right? Maybe he's transferring to get a jump start on grad program that Iowa doesn't offer, and might as well use up his last year of eligibility in the process.

Also...total rumor here...but I did hear that Fran just bought a new house? I wouldn't think he'd do that if he was planning leaving. But I guess when you have that kind of money, you could take that loss and not really worry about it?

No one here knows the dynamics in the McCaffrey household or the Iowa locker room. Both of the McCaffrey boys decisions are understandable under the totality of the circumstances and I don't see any evidence that the three personnel decisions (PM, JM, or TP) are likely to have any snowball effect. Jack was never in the fold. PM may honestly be addition by subtraction. And TP is looking for a pay day and that will open the minutes up to a couple talented younger players. There is nothing head scrathing here.

As for Fran leaving, as we have argued elsewhere, he said he is not done coaching. So, one has to ask where he would go that would be a better coaching situation and improve his family dynamics? Neither Jack or Patrick are good enough that a good program will hire Fran to get them. Fran is old and does not have an overwhelming resume. So again, where he gonna go?

Could he leave? Sure. Do the signs point to that? They do not.

No one here knows the dynamics in the McCaffrey household or the Iowa locker room. Both of the McCaffrey boys decisions are understandable under the totality of the circumstances and I don't see any evidence that the three personnel decisions (PM, JM, or TP) are likely to have any snowball effect. Jack was never in the fold. PM may honestly be addition by subtraction. And TP is looking for a pay day and that will open the minutes up to a couple talented younger players. There is nothing head scrathing here.

As for Fran leaving, as we have argued elsewhere, he said he is not done coaching. So, one has to ask where he would go that would be a better coaching situation and improve his family dynamics? Neither Jack or Patrick are good enough that a good program will hire Fran to get them. Fran is old and does not have an overwhelming resume. So again, where he gonna go?

Could he leave? Sure. Do the signs point to that? They do not.
Signs point to his kids not wanting to play for Iowa though, I feel that it's a uphill battle convincing another parents that Iowa is a good experience and place to play.

And I feel like there are plenty of "signs" here right? Patrick going into the portal and Jack declaring he's not going to Iowa. If those aren't signs then I am not sure what signs are.

I don't think having his sons go elsewhere speaks badly of Fran at all. It simply says they are going to try it the other way. And it says that Fran is a flexible coach who wants the best for his players.

I don't think having his sons go elsewhere speaks badly of Fran at all. It simply says they are going to try it the other way. And it says that Fran is a flexible coach who wants the best for his players.
Again, doesn't speak badly of Fran, but does of Iowa. And I would say it speaks to Fran's families happiness, again at Iowa. I would agree if one kid wouldn't have already played here and was the fanbases whipping boy for 4 seasons and they finally came around on him his Sr. year. Same with Patrick. I think it speaks poorly of Iowa, its dwindling fan base and poor NIL backing that players like Pat and Tony want to look to play somewhere else. I kind of want a coach and a program that people want to stay at and guys who have spent 4 years here leaving with eligibility left is in no way a good thing for Iowa.

Also, please point out some players that opted to not play for their dads at a major school. Or, feel free to point out some kids that played for their dad's and then transferred out of their program. If there is precedent here and this is something that happens and is common, that's one thing, what just happened at Iowa seems unique to... well, Iowa.

Signs point to his kids not wanting to play for Iowa though, I feel that it's a uphill battle convincing another parents that Iowa is a good experience and place to play.

And I feel like there are plenty of "signs" here right? Patrick going into the portal and Jack declaring he's not going to Iowa. If those aren't signs then I am not sure what signs are.
What signs beyond the three players we have been discussing, one of which declared long ago he was not going to Iowa? The two McCaffreys and TP both have legitimate reasons for looking at schools other than Iowa. Jack had his legal issues in IC that will hang around him if he stays here, and he has witnessed that his older brothers were under a microscope at Iowa that would not exist if they were at Creighton. Patrick has loyally played at Iowa and seemingly wants a different experience with his final year. Maybe he wants to start again. TP wants to be paid. None of these are indictments on Fran or the program. At all.

What other signs are you seeing that are not being reported? Look, Fran acknowledged a month ago that PM and TP may play elsewhere with their COVID year. They gave 4 full years to Iowa. None of this is shocking. If we lose other material players I will start to be concerned. This is not concerning.

There are 700 kids in the portal right now. Just about every program is losing players. Good ones. Its just the time we are in.

What signs beyond the three players we have been discussing, one of which declared long ago he was not going to Iowa? The two McCaffreys and TP both have legitimate reasons for looking at schools other than Iowa. Jack had his legal issues in IC that will hang around him if he stays here, and he has witnessed that his older brothers were under a microscope at Iowa that would not exist if they were at Creighton. Patrick has loyally played at Iowa and seemingly wants a different experience with his final year. Maybe he wants to start again. TP wants to be paid. None of these are indictments on Fran or the program. At all.

What other signs are you seeing that are not being reported? Look, Fran acknowledged a month ago that PM and TP may play elsewhere with their COVID year. They gave 4 full years to Iowa. None of this is shocking. If we lose other material players I will start to be concerned. This is not concerning.

There are 700 kids in the portal right now. Just about every program is losing players. Good ones. Its just the time we are in.
I agree. It is also known that Fran is a player's coach. I think most of them like playing for him.

This isn't a situation where most players are entering the portal because they are disgruntled, per se. It's either because some legitimately want more PT and more for the chance at $$$$$.

Cool, so we're all good with losing guys who have been loyal Iowa players for 4 seasons and want to go and play somewhere else at the peak of their careers with time left to play. We also are fine with not having NIL to keep them here, in a place they're comfortable, with a staff they are comfortable with. Also cool we have a 1/3rd full stadium because hey, Fran is KILLING it, the program is healthy and this is just the times we live in now.

- 10-4 - thanks for setting me straight everyone.

to me this is absolutely the worse, losing big pieces that wanted to be Hawkeyes.

I agree. It is also known that Fran is a player's coach. I think most of them like playing for him.

This isn't a situation where most players are entering the portal because they are disgruntled, per se. It's either because some legitimately want more PT and more for the chance at $$$$$.
No one is saying this is because they players don't like Fran or don't want to play for Fran. I am saying this is because of money, support of the program and them likely being dissatisfied in Iowa City.

I think that's a problem - when we lose Peyton, Freeman or Dix here in the next week, I am sure it's just a sign of the times

No one is saying this is because they players don't like Fran or don't want to play for Fran. I am saying this is because of money, support of the program and them likely being dissatisfied in Iowa City.

I think that's a problem - when we lose Peyton, Freeman or Dix here in the next week, I am sure it's just a sign of the times
I'm betting Dix and/or Freeman for sure. Sandfort would surprise me big time.

We also are fine with not having NIL to keep them here, in a place they're comfortable, with a staff they are comfortable with.
I think being fine with it and accepting it are two different things. I'd love the Hawks to have millions every year but I know they won't, and I don't have the power to affect it myself.

I'll always follow and love the Hawks, but I think the writing is on the wall that the days of being competitive without a whole bunch of money and a new venue are essentially over. We're never going to see a Murray or Garza here again for more than one season if at all.

Latest posts