Pass Completion Over Turned

No way. Football is better since they were implemented. There have been WAY more F-ups fixed than there have been caused.

What they need to do is put a time limit on them. 45 seconds and that’s it

Also, decisions need to come from an off site review HQ. 3 review officials physically separated from each other make their call, and majority rules. 2 out of the 3 make a call that’s the way it goes. As much goddamn money as their is in NCAA football they can afford it a million times over. Have say, 6 crews of 3 officials to handle all games. That’s enough for the workload at any given time.
Also stop the interpreting of calls. Stick to the indisputable evidence to overturn, it should be a much higher window to change a call than it is now. A time limit should be imposed and I love the ideal of a majority rule from separate views.

I like that replay exists. It's going to create a few extra instances where it doesn't need to be reviewed, but it almost eliminates the formerly irreversible plays that affect the outcome of games. Not perfect but better than leaving 100% to human error. Gives you the feeling that you can't get "jobbed." No fixes or conspiracy theories. Of course unless you are a.......well, nevermind :)

Anyone else simply in favor of abolishing replays altogether?
At this point, YES! Replay was designed or should be designed to take away the obvious missed calls, especially in critical moments of the game. I knew this would happen, they opened a can of worms with it because now they have to review everything remotely close because "that may end up being a key turning point in the game."

They replayed it and the official watching slow motion STILL GOT IT WRONG!! That tells me trash it. It has now gotten so granular that they are looking at if the ball bobbles slightly, or are the players arm under the ball or in a certain position, etc.. If messes the flow of the game. The officials now have to be a part of the game. If it takes one 3 minutes to dissect a play, INTENTIONALLY LOOKING FOR SOMETHING, then it's time to move on from it.

Again, it should be used to take away the OBVIOUS mistakes on calls, and there are some!! It should not be to analyze plays on a granular level. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
The worst part about that whole thing was that refs got it right initially. Kent State wasn't asking for a review on it either (cause they thought it was a catch plain as day too) then the refs took it upon themselves to do what they did. It was as bad of a call as I've seen in a long long time and I hope KF raises holy hell about it. Nobody has a longer memory then him and it's just a good thing that it didn't matter at the end of the day

At this point, YES! Replay was designed or should be designed to take away the obvious missed calls, especially in critical moments of the game. I knew this would happen, they opened a can of worms with it because now they have to review everything remotely close because "that may end up being a key turning point in the game."

They replayed it and the official watching slow motion STILL GOT IT WRONG!! That tells me trash it. It has now gotten so granular that they are looking at if the ball bobbles slightly, or are the players arm under the ball or in a certain position, etc.. If messes the flow of the game. The officials now have to be a part of the game. If it takes one 3 minutes to dissect a play, INTENTIONALLY LOOKING FOR SOMETHING, then it's time to move on from it.

Again, it's should be to take away the OBVIOUS mistakes on calls, and there are some!! It should not be to analyze plays on a granular level. Just my $0.02.
Totally get your viewpoint and I feel the same way sometimes. However, I think if the tables were turned and the Hawks got screwed by not having instant replay we'd all be wishing it was there. With that in mind I also think (anecdotally of course) that there are more mistakes corrected by instant replay than created. That is good for football.

What they need to do is streamline the process and make it a consensus judgement. The NCAA can afford to put a bunch of people on that job.

The worst part about that whole thing was that refs got it right initially. Kent State wasn't asking for a review on it either (cause they thought it was a catch plain as day too) then the refs took it upon themselves to do what they did. It was as bad of a call as I've seen in a long long time and I hope KF raises holy hell about it. Nobody has a longer memory then him and it's just a good thing that it didn't matter at the end of the day
That came from the booth, though, right?

Totally get your viewpoint and I feel the same way sometimes. However, I think if the tables were turned and the Hawks got screwed by not having instant replay we'd all be wishing it was there. With that in mind I also think (anecdotally of course) that there are more mistakes corrected by instant replay than created. That is good for football.

What they need to do is streamline the process and make it a consensus judgement. The NCAA can afford to put a bunch of people on that job.

I agree. Exactly. With technology, they could have a centralized room (even virtual) with officials to make a consensual decision.

That came from the booth, though, right?
Be it the ref dinging down or whatever? Yeah probably I'm not sure. I just don't think the Kent St coach asked for it. He was clear on the other side of the field and for fs sake it was a catch. The only one that thought it wasn't was whomever it was that made that call.

A little help here, I forgot to record the game and I’m too lazy to dig through the game thread. Can anyone tell me what happened on that over turned pass completion? At the game we couldn’t figure out why they were even reviewing that play and we were all pissed as hell when they over turned it. What happened?
There was an attempt at point-shaving made is what it looked like to me. I was surprised that there weren't more weird calls to contain the spread.

Be it the ref dinging down or whatever? Yeah probably I'm not sure. I just don't think the Kent St coach asked for it. He was clear on the other side of the field and for fs sake it was a catch. The only one that thought it wasn't was whomever it was that made that call.

There are some plays when they are that close that I think you just have to give the player the benefit of the doubt and move one. This is when it fucks the flow of the game up. If an official has to look 8 times or 5 minutes at a play in slow motion, go with what was fucking initially called on the field.

I've seen it watching my boys in youth baseball for years. Great plays taken away from kids because the official decided on a bang bang close call play (too close to really call) call an out or take the great play away. I'm talking about the kid in outfield making a diving catch to take away a gapper, dives for it rolls on the ground and come up with the ball. The lazy official looking out from wherever or home plate sometimes says the outfielder trapped it or something like that. When you don't really know, why take that great play away.

There are some plays when they are that close that I think you just have to give the player the benefit of the doubt and move one. This is when it fucks the flow of the game up. If an official has to look 8 times or 5 minutes at a play in slow motion, go with what was fucking initially called on the field.

I've seen it watching my boys in youth baseball for years. Great plays taken away from kids because the official decided on a bang bang close call play (too close to really call) call an out or take the great play away. I'm talking about the kid in outfield making a diving catch to take away a gapper, dives for it rolls on the ground and come up with the ball. The lazy official looking out from wherever or home plate sometimes says the outfielder trapped it or something like that. When you don't really know, why take that great play away.
No doubt. They need a time limit of 2 mins tops. With technology the way it is they can watch it in slow mo 5 times in that length of time from multiple angles. If they need more then that then leave call as it was initially called on the field and move along

There was an attempt at point-shaving made is what it looked like to me. I was surprised that there weren't more weird calls to contain the spread.
brian-regan-derp.gif

It was a catch. As noted, stutter steps (which are somewhat sketch as a move 'common to the game'), but he put his left hand (opposite of his ball carrying arm) out on the defender and extended his elbow. If that were lacrosse, it would be a "warding" call resulting in change of possession and a 30 second penalty.

In football they have a term for it too....a stiffarm, and it's allowed. And if that wasn't a true stiff arm, it was at least an effort to "ward off an opponent".

Since it's a catch with posession, it can be a fumble. He's down.

Section 4. Article 3. a.
  1. Maintains control of the ball long enough to enable him to perform an act common to the game, i.e., long enough to pitch or hand the ball, advance it, avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.,

I've been able to watch a video of the play and it left me even more confused as to why it was over turned. There is no doubt in my mind that it was a catch and shouldn't even had been reviewed to begin with.

This has to be up there among the biggest botches by the refs since the Florida game involving Iowa At least this call had no factor on the outcome.

Prob one of my top 2 favorite comedians!

1) Brian Regan - For clean material
2) Bill Burr - For when I want to listen to F it I don't care stuff
Bill Burr is the best comedian currently alive right now, Carlin was the greatest ever to walk the earth. As you can probably guess I like the darker or more controversial side of comedy.

Burr
Stanhope (very close second)
Chappelle
Dave Attell
Mitch Hedberg
Segura
TJ Miller
Joey Diaz
Stephen Wright
Pryor
Junior Stopka

Kreischer is tolerable when he’s around other comics, his show is about equivalent to Larry The Cable Guy, it’s mostly just a court jester thing. For all the attention he gets, Rogan just isn’t funny.

Oh....also....all video review should be done like they did it in the XFL 2.0. Put a camera looking over the shoulder of the replay officials and mic them up.

Bill Burr is the best comedian currently alive right now, Carlin was the greatest ever to walk the earth. As you can probably guess I like the darker or more controversial side of comedy.

Burr
Stanhope (very close second)
Chappelle
Dave Attell
Mitch Hedberg
Segura
TJ Miller
Joey Diaz
Stephen Wright
Pryor
Junior Stopka

Kreischer is tolerable when he’s around other comics, his show is about equivalent to Larry The Cable Guy, it’s mostly just a court jester thing. For all the attention he gets, Rogan just isn’t funny.

One of the funniest guys I have ever listened to was Greg Giraldo. To bad he died. Every joke was hilarious and his delivery was unreal. If you have never heard his comedy, search him on YouTube and take a listen.