Parallels btw. 1998 & 2012: Or, why Kirk needs to go, and why he might

BSpringsteen

In 1998 Hayden Fry was coming off a season where he was expected to go to the Rose Bowl, and ended the season 7-4. That season saw the Hawks fall to a level that they hadn't seen in 18 years. A 3-8 finish.

What had been said quietly fot the past two seasons stopped being said so quietly. That it was time for Hayden to go. That the game was passing him by.

And he knew it. And he did.

14 years later Hayden Fry has a festival named after him to start the football season and still walks into Kinnick Stadium to huge applause and a standing ovation.

Now here we are 2 years removed from a year of huge expectations and it looks like there is a very real chance that we will finish under 500 for the first time in 12 years.

And the grumblings are the same. The program needs a change, the game is passing him by etc.. etc...

If Kirk were to retire after this season, he would be revered as a guy who took Iowa to heights not seen. Only a few will remember the disappointments. He'll be remembered as a great coach. His accumulated wealth will reach down generations. He likely could easily get a gig in a broadcast booth or studio. Steven will likely not be a major player on the team, and James is graduated.

If Kirk goes down with this ship, he might also be taking his sons career down with him. The guy who came back to Iowa from the NE Patriots only to preside over the bottoming out of the program. What's worse, no one will remember the B1G Championships, or 12 straight years of finishing .500 or better. They'll remember the horrible, disgusting end.

Those that want Ferentz gone, and I now unfortunately count myself among that group, can only hope that pride rules Kirk's ind more than his bank account does.

Also kinda ironic that in 1998 a former Hawk player was a rising defensive coordinator at Florida. And 2012 theres a former Hawk whos a rising defensive coordinator at Notre Dame

I'll go one step further...

This could be Barta's way out.

He can simply say that this has to be fully back to the level he expects by 2014 or it's done, and he needs to be realistic about what he thinks his chances are with it. He can even tell Kirk that if next year is just as bad, that he might make the move after next season.

I'll go one step further...

This could be Barta's way out.

He can simply say that this has to be fully back to the level he expects by 2014 or it's done, and he needs to be realistic about what he thinks his chances are with it. He can even tell Kirk that if next year is just as bad, that he might make the move after next season.

Unless Gary has a big donor or two already pledging the money to buy Kirk out there is no way this happens. The university will not let Barta just toss around 16 mil plus next year to shove Kirk out the door.

Unless Gary has a big donor or two already pledging the money to buy Kirk out there is no way this happens. The university will not let Barta just toss around 16 mil plus next year to shove Kirk out the door.

You can say that but stop to think about this for a second.

After 2014, Kirk needs an extension or else he's officially considered lame duck and will get crushed on the recruiting trails for not even having a contract to finish the careers of the kids he's recruiting.

So I really think that 2014 is a major fork in the road year for them.

Now consider if you are the U - if things unravel further next year, do you risk the success of your football program that funds the entire athletic department over one year?

Do you fire Barta? To hire who? A guy who will almost for sure say I want control over my coaches from day one.

So look, it's not like it's easy or like it's an easy decision... it's just that there are way more layers to it.

I really wish the Kirk would do the right thing and retire and not stay untill things get really ugly. I would still wait until next season before making that move. We are young and maybe Sokol can be the QB savior along with many returning starters.

After 2014, Kirk needs an extension or else he's officially considered lame duck and will get crushed on the recruiting trails for not even having a contract to finish the careers of the kids he's recruiting.

How so? After the 2014 season is the 2015 signing class. They are:
Fall of 2015: True Frosh
Fall of 2016: RS Frosh
Fall of 2017: Soph
Fall of 2018: Juniors
Fall of 2019: Seniors

The recruiting Class of 2016 (which immediately follows the 2015 season), they can even say Kirk would be there all their years.

KF has a son on the team that is a freshman. I doubt he goes anywhere until he has that son a job somewhere in the NFL.

But Steven is not going to be a major player on this team. I'm sure there are a lot of things that are rewarding about coaching your son. But James and Brian both turned into starting centers and were scholarship athletes. Steven is a walk on that likely will not see any meaningful playing time.

How so? After the 2014 season is the 2015 signing class. They are:
Fall of 2015: True Frosh
Fall of 2016: RS Frosh
Fall of 2017: Soph
Fall of 2018: Juniors
Fall of 2019: Seniors

The recruiting Class of 2016 (which immediately follows the 2015 season), they can even say Kirk would be there all their years.

You are right about that Jon - my counting was bad yesterday.

Also kinda ironic that in 1998 a former Hawk player was a rising defensive coordinator at Florida. And 2012 theres a former Hawk whos a rising defensive coordinator at Notre Dame

Diaco has unreal talent. And his best player isn't a guy he brought in. Diaco could run this Iowa defense and you wouldn't see a material change. Our fanbase is so spoiled it is unreal. Iowa is a middle of the road B10 program and no coach is going to change that at this point in the game. Some years, we'll overachieve, some years we'll underachieve, but that 6 or 7 win mark is going to be our average and we'll always be around that average, sometimes a little better (or even a lot better) sometimes a little worse.

Latest posts