Pacific Ten to Consider Expansion

Dude, you beat me to it! :)

It's an interesting thought though. If they were to go to 12 schools my initial reaction is to add Utah and Boise State. Then we'll see how good they match up and not have to hear any excuses!

Hadn't thought about Utah. I was figuring Boise and Fresno would be the logical choices, but Utah would be a good one too.

So, let's say the Big Ten adds Missouri and one of the two teams that the Pac 10 adds is Colorado. The Pac 10 becomes the Pac 12, the Big 10 becomes the Big 12 and the Big 12 becomes the Big 10.

Utah and BYU or Colorado and Colorado St. both make sense for the Pac-10. I don't know if Fresno St. or Boise St. would meet the Pac-10's academic requirements, plus the Pac 10 uses travel partners when scheduling for basketball and several other sports and picking two new schools that are close to each other would allow them to continue scheduling like this.

If they pick Colorado, I want us to pick either Missou or Nebby. That would leave the Big 12 with 10 schools and then that conference may push ISCC into the MAC. Thats my pipe dream. I could give my ISCC friends 5 years worth of crap over that.

If I was the Pac Ten, I would choose Utah and Colorado if I could get them, which I think is a strong possibility.

Colorado made their mark recruiting out of California. They would do way better if they could tell their recruits they would be playing in LA, Berkeley, and Palo Alto, instead of Columbia, Lincoln, and Manhattan, Ks.

BYU should be in a National religious and military independents league with the likes of Notre Dame, SMU, TCU, and the service academies.

The thing to understand is that the MWC is really close to getting an automatic BCS bid due to conference performance. Accordingly, it would behoove the bigger conferences to go after a MWC juggernaut, like Utah or TCU to drop their winning percentage numbers down. So, if the Big Ten pulls from the Big Twelve, look for them to go after TCU, or Utah. While most would think TCU the likely choice, the Big Ten will be pulling from the Big Twelve North, (Nebby or Missou) which means that Utah might be the more likely choice. A Big Twelve north of Utah, Colorado, and Nebby as the top three teams looks a lot more representative of a regional group than Colorado, Missou, and Nebby.

Basically, watch BCS conference expansion raid the MWC. Also, watch Boise try to to something to save themselves. If the MWC folds, the remaining teams will try to bolt for the WAC, which will reduce the viability of that conference even further. If that happened, I would suggest that the WAC, CUSA, MAC, and Sun Belt form some kind of super conference with the a playoff structure to get the champion into the BCS.

Finally, if the Big Ten pulls Rutgers from the Big East, that league would look dangerously close to losing their BCS automatic bid. They would then have to consider some drastic moves.

Last edited:
If they pick Colorado, I want us to pick either Missou or Nebby. That would leave the Big 12 with 10 schools and then that conference may push ISCC into the MAC. Thats my pipe dream. I could give my ISCC friends 5 years worth of crap over that.

you do realize in that scenario if ISU beat us they could say we lost to a team from the MAC?

So is the Big 12 nervous about the possibility of losing 2 or more schools or would it just be like a papercut to their Texas league?

So is the Big 12 nervous about the possibility of losing 2 or more schools or would it just be like a papercut to their Texas league?

The Big Twelve should be pro-active. If not, they could lose Colorado, Missouri or Nebby, and also lose the option to pick up Utah. That would be very bad.

The Pac Ten move with Colorado would be the big one. That would start the dominos falling as Missou and Nebby would have to start jumping at the Big Ten opportunity.

If I were the Big Twelve, I would be going after Utah RIGHT NOW, even if they would temporarily end up with a 7 team north, and not wait for the chips to fall. If you bring in Utah, you might be able to keep Colorado from looking West, even if you can't stop them, you have a strong replacement.

If the Big Twelve isn't pro-active, then they could end up having to pick up Houston and TCU, which would diminish their status as a major conference.

But again, the BCS leagues do not want the MWC to get an automatic bid. They will start raiding that league very quickly.

Last edited:

Latest posts