OWH's Sam McKewon previews the B1G West

Interesting read. Most important thing to note is his system more or less ranks all four teams evenly.

Can't make y'all happy for nothing. You whine cause you don't get any attention from the Omaha media, you whine when the Omaha media give you negative attention, and you whine when the Omaha media gives you positive attention.

SMDH.........

B S nebtard. I could care fricking less about anything that happens in cattle town. All I care about is the scoreboard. And we took care of that in a big way last year. For your sake you better hope you are a lot better this year or we are going to pound you again. This time in our house.

Can't make y'all happy for nothing. You whine cause you don't get any attention from the Omaha media, you whine when the Omaha media give you negative attention, and you whine when the Omaha media gives you positive attention.

SMDH.........
It's a message board, you are going to get a variety of opinions. Some don't want to be projected to have a great season because Iowa typically seems to do better when expectations are lower, and some feel like the program deserves a little more respect than it sometimes gets. It's just a place to come and vent, and what else is there to talk about in July?

Question for you Hunter, I have a friend who feels that winning the West is a lock for Nebby this year. He is a huge Husker fan and feels there is a ton of talent this year. He also thinks there is a good chance for them to win the title game. What is your assessment.

In addition to his comments on the West he is down on the B12. Stating "...the league takes a physical toll on the two lines in ways the Big 12 apparently did not -". and "Has the league switch helped the Huskers' talent profile? Yes, it has. Recruiting wasn't really going that well in the Big 12."
Both I think are true. The B12 is stagnant. They have suffered from having a couple of big teams every year and a lack of competition from the other teams. The B!G is a grind. The bottom feeders in the B1G are less dangerous than the top teams, but they are still demand respect.

But he has Nebraska finishing second in the West. I don't see it. They have Michigan State, Wisconsin and Northwestern away games. It's doubtful that they will win all three of these games. They have had trouble with Northwestern and this year their defense is going to be tested again. Nebraska could very easily be down two games by the time they travel to Iowa City.

As for coaching. There is no way that Nebraska should have lost to Minnesota last year. That was a coaches loss.

"But I'd struggle to rank Iowa and Wisconsin even with Nebraska at this point. Kirk Ferentz waited a year too long to switch out coordinators -- although I can appreciate the delicacy with Norm Parker in 2011 -- which in part led to the team bottoming out in 2012. He's admitted to things like facilities and recruiting getting behind. Though most of it is beyond his control, Ferentz has seen too many veteran players scrape with the local law enforcement in recent years, and his program isn't in nearly the fishbowl Nebraska is. Iowa is just now turning the corner on certain trends -- like the zone read -- that Pelini and Co. embraced five years ago."

This is what dumb sounds like.^^^^^^ How did Kirk wait too long?

Question for you Hunter, I have a friend who feels that winning the West is a lock for Nebby this year. He is a huge Husker fan and feels there is a ton of talent this year. He also thinks there is a good chance for them to win the title game. What is your assessment.

Great question. I think that a lot of Husker fans think along the lines of your friend. I think that our talent level is getting better, but much of it is young. I agree with much of what both McKewon and HawkeyeDenis have said.

If you look at the schedules and how everything sets up, I'd say that Iowa and then Wisconsin are the leaders on paper, but the margin is slim. Many Husker fans think that "It's Iowa" or that "Iowa always craps the bed when they're supposed to be good." I won't buy into that line of thinking.

Iowa has the best returning QB in the division, as well as the most advantageous schedule. If Iowa is as good as many thinks they are, there is no reason that y'all shouldn't have a good shot at being 10-0 heading into the Wisconsin game. Obviously, you have both UW and NU at home.

At this point, I expect NU to lost at MSU. I could see us winning in IC, and yet Iowa wins the Division. I'm not writing this year off, I think that NU can win the Division if we take care of our business. But looking ahead to 2015, we'll have a lot of 3rd and 4th year guys with more experience and a more advantageous schedule.

SMDH.........

Somebody ****** in this cat's Corn Flakes this morning.

My dream scenario has Iowa, Neb and Wis all 9-0 going into the 10th game....then Neb upsets Wisky in Madison, then Iowa beats Wisky in IC and two 11-0 teams square off on Black Friday. OSU is clean on the other side, so the Big Ten has at least 3 undefeated teams going into the last weekend. Iowa beats the Huskers, and then OSU in the Big Ten title game.

One thing about going to 14 teams in the league, like the SEC, it usually gives at least a couple of teams, maybe more, a chance to cruise thru their league season almost without blemish as they do not play in league schedule.

The Big Ten could actually have 5 teams very highly ranked mid-way thru November, MSU,OSU, Iowa, Wis, and Neb.....that is how the SEC built their ''cred'' ....top teams avoid each other until the conference title game.

I would love to see the West win the league this year, upsetting OSU or MSU and giving the West some instant cred.

Ill answer it for him. Your buddy is on some serious ****. Inexperienced offensive line with games at Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Michigan State. Not happening. Theyll be trying to run Pelini out of town again by the Iowa game.

Great question. I think that a lot of Husker fans think along the lines of your friend. I think that our talent level is getting better, but much of it is young. I agree with much of what both McKewon and HawkeyeDenis have said.

If you look at the schedules and how everything sets up, I'd say that Iowa and then Wisconsin are the leaders on paper, but the margin is slim. Many Husker fans think that "It's Iowa" or that "Iowa always craps the bed when they're supposed to be good." I won't buy into that line of thinking.

Iowa has the best returning QB in the division, as well as the most advantageous schedule. If Iowa is as good as many thinks they are, there is no reason that y'all shouldn't have a good shot at being 10-0 heading into the Wisconsin game. Obviously, you have both UW and NU at home.

At this point, I expect NU to lost at MSU. I could see us winning in IC, and yet Iowa wins the Division. I'm not writing this year off, I think that NU can win the Division if we take care of our business. But looking ahead to 2015, we'll have a lot of 3rd and 4th year guys with more experience and a more advantageous schedule.
So if Bo goes 8-4 again, do you think he would be run out of town? Whoever he new coach would be could come in as a hero as I think you are right, Nebraska is set up for a strong 2015.

I think most of us here have a great respect for the Nebraska program. But speaking of great programs don't you feel the sportswriter was remiss to not mention Iowa State's momentum as a cause for Nebraska's exit from the B12?

Ill answer it for him. Your buddy is on some serious ****. Inexperienced offensive line with games at Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Michigan State. Not happening. Theyll be trying to run Pelini out of town again by the Iowa game.

Actually, the reports coming out of Lincoln are that the coaching staff and many who have watched practice think that this year's OL can be better than last year. Remember, we had most (actually I think all) of our OL starters miss some time due to injury last year. The backups got quite a few reps, and the CU transfer Lewis is getting good reviews. They're gonna have to prove it on Saturdays, but the potential is there.

So if Bo goes 8-4 again, do you think he would be run out of town? Whoever he new coach would be could come in as a hero as I think you are right, Nebraska is set up for a strong 2015.

Another good question, but I don't have a real good answer to. To the best of how I can gauge the fanbase, if the team goes 8-4, losing all 4 games in a close fashion to, lets say MSU, UW, Iowa, and NW, and they clean up things like turnovers and the punt return game, we don't get blown out, and Bo doesn't go ballistic, I think that he will be here in 2015. The 2015 recruiting class is looking pretty good.

Now, if we go 7-5 with some blowout losses and some Bo blowups on the sideline and after the game, he might not make it through.

I think most of us here have a great respect for the Nebraska program. But speaking of great programs don't you feel the sportswriter was remiss to not mention Iowa State's momentum as a cause for Nebraska's exit from the B12?

LULZ!

Latest posts