Over/Under On The Number Of Weeks It Takes Cleveland To Cut Watson

Fryowa

Administrator
I think the guy's a piece o' shit that they should've cut as soon as the charges were substantiated.

Anyway, even for Browns management who plan on keeping him after his (bullshit) suspension is over, there's no way they can keep playing him, right? I mean holy shit...the guy is the most hated player in the NFL for good reason. Can you imagine the backlash when this douche canoe actually takes the field later this fall? No one's ever going to cheer for the guy, no one's going to support the team other than ignorant die-hards, and there will be guys who probably don't want to play with him.

Even if he was the second coming of Tom Brady you still have to send him packing, because they could go undefeated and win the Super Bowl and it'd still be known forever with an asterisk as the Watson team. Cut the guy and move on. No team would ever touch him anyway.

Wasn't his contract 100% guaranteed? Which is extremely unusual for NFL contracts. Watson will be at Cleveland for 2 years minimum before the Browns even consider cutting or trading him.

Wasn't his contract 100% guaranteed? Which is extremely unusual for NFL contracts. Watson will be at Cleveland for 2 years minimum before the Browns even consider cutting or trading him.
Can they not fire him for cause?

230 million dollars guaranteed. They can't just eat that money and everyone else either have their guy or don't want to take that on. Credit to Watson's agent or blame Browns management for that deal. Even with the missed games from the suspension, that money will come from his base salary not the 44 million signing bonus.

I dunno. If he's still lingering around in the 12th round of my fantasy draft night, I'm takin' him. It's a business, damnit!

I think the guy's a piece o' shit that they should've cut as soon as the charges were substantiated.

Anyway, even for Browns management who plan on keeping him after his (bullshit) suspension is over, there's no way they can keep playing him, right? I mean holy shit...the guy is the most hated player in the NFL for good reason. Can you imagine the backlash when this douche canoe actually takes the field later this fall? No one's ever going to cheer for the guy, no one's going to support the team other than ignorant die-hards, and there will be guys who probably don't want to play with him.

Even if he was the second coming of Tom Brady you still have to send him packing, because they could go undefeated and win the Super Bowl and it'd still be known forever with an asterisk as the Watson team. Cut the guy and move on. No team would ever touch him anyway.

Do you know any Cleveland Browns fans? They'd sign Rae Carruth, Chris Doyle, Art Briles, Orenthal James Simpson and Urban Meyer tomorrow if it got them a Super Bowl. Asterisk. LOL. If you weren't a Millennial you would remember The Drive. Basically John Elway teabagged an entire city, no an entire region of Ohio, and they are destroyed as a people. Then a few years later Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore and they won multiple Super Bowls.

Don't get me wrong, Detroit Lions fans have it really fucking bad, but even they look down at Browns fans with pity.

Do you know any Cleveland Browns fans? They'd sign Rae Carruth, Chris Doyle, Art Briles, Orenthal James Simpson and Urban Meyer tomorrow if it got them a Super Bowl. Asterisk. LOL. If you weren't a Millennial you would remember The Drive. Basically John Elway teabagged an entire city, no an entire region of Ohio, and they are destroyed as a people. Then a few years later Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore and they won multiple Super Bowls.

Don't get me wrong, Detroit Lions fans have it really fucking bad, but even they look down at Browns fans with pity.
Different world. In today's age social justice warriors can take anyone down. And in this case they'd be right.

230 million dollars guaranteed. They can't just eat that money and everyone else either have their guy or don't want to take that on. Credit to Watson's agent or blame Browns management for that deal. Even with the missed games from the suspension, that money will come from his base salary not the 44 million signing bonus.
They could fire him for cause. Urban Meyer lost guaranteed money for giving that chick a proctological exam with no gloves.

They could fire him for cause. Urban Meyer lost guaranteed money for giving that chick a proctological exam with no gloves.

The NFLPA would then file a grievance on Watson's behalf and probably win. Labor law isn't exactly my expertise so OK4P or NorthKChawk could give you a better answer than I can.

Just casually following the Deshaun Watson stuff you hear language like "predatory behavior" and yet I don't hear words like "counseling" or "therapy". Why the Browns gave him that big contract without insisting he get therapy is beyond me. I'm not a mental health expert, but his issues feel a lot deeper than someone just needing to get laid.

The NFLPA would then file a grievance on Watson's behalf and probably win. Labor law isn't exactly my expertise so OK4P or NorthKChawk could give you a better answer than I can.

Just casually following the Deshaun Watson stuff you hear language like "predatory behavior" and yet I don't hear words like "counseling" or "therapy". Why the Browns gave him that big contract without insisting he get therapy is beyond me. I'm not a mental health expert, but his issues feel a lot deeper than someone just needing to get laid.
I don’t know man, I’d probably err on the side of firing him and looking like the winner in the public court of opinion. Hard to put a dollar amount on standing up to a dude that was assaulting massage therapists.

If you fire the guy and ultimately end up paying him what’s the damage really? It’s a sunk cost. You know how much they’re going to lose eventually by keeping the guy once he actually goes out on the field…a lot. Because every town they go to there’s going to be protests, boycotts, you name it which are just going to snowball infinitely bigger and bigger with social media the way it is. Even the NFL itself, which is known for being the scummiest of the scumbags is saying he shouldn’t be playing. This thing is gonna blow up in the Browns face more than they think. How is this any different than Ray Rice? He never played another snap.

I don’t know man, I’d probably err on the side of firing him and looking like the winner in the public court of opinion. Hard to put a dollar amount on standing up to a dude that was assaulting massage therapists.

If you fire the guy and ultimately end up paying him what’s the damage really? It’s a sunk cost. You know how much they’re going to lose eventually by keeping the guy once he actually goes out on the field…a lot. Because every town they go to there’s going to be protests, boycotts, you name it which are just going to snowball infinitely bigger and bigger with social media the way it is. Even the NFL itself, which is known for being the scummiest of the scumbags is saying he shouldn’t be playing. This thing is gonna blow up in the Browns face more than they think. How is this any different than Ray Rice? He never played another snap.

I am a Steeler fan and once the specifics of Watson's contract came out I knew it was going to be a disaster. Browns' fans like to point to Roethlisberger, but the Steelers had/have the infrastructure to deal with everything you are pointing out the Browns do not.

First of all OK4P, you do "know" a Browns fan, and I can tell you that we lost a long time with nice guys and Johnny Manziel and decided that it worth trying to win with assholes, which is why we started the whole thing with Baker Mayfield.

Second of all, I'm not standing up for the POS. As a Browns fan (where I got the name topdawg), I have been following it closely and can fill in some holes (no pun intended).

The suspension's going to be what it's going to be because of ol' Roger and nothing else. He wants the longest suspension possible without the NFLPA fighting it. There are some big problems in getting a long suspension.

One is that the 2 strongest cases were taken to a grand jury and they wouldn't indict him for sexual misconduct and it's a common saying amongst lawyers that any prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich.

Second is that the CBA states that owners will be held to a higher standard with regards to suspensions and fines, and Robert Kraft, Dan Snyder, Jimmy Jones, etc. basically got nothing. Suspend him too long and it will end up in court.

Third is that the NFL chose 4 of the masseuses to testify and make their case about. One of these women had friends and relatives talk about how she originally told them how great of a guy he is, how much she enjoyed "everything" and basically shot the NFL's case.

Fourth is that no masseuse that testified in the case said there was violence or coercion.

He did it. We all know he did it. He should be gone. Period. The ones OK4P named should be gone (and Joe Mixon, Stabby Lewis, Rapistberger, Kareem Hunt, and so many others). The players will say they have issues with him playing, but they know that stuff like this happens on a regular basis in pro sports and has for a long time. The league/court should make a huge example of him (boot the SOB) and any others in the near future that do crap like this.

As for the Browns fan in me get your money back if you can, get Jimmy G or whatever, and live off your defense, Chubb, and Hunt.

They can absolutely afford it. The have more than double any other team in cap space ($49 million to $22 million for the #2 team). I'm for it.

Oh, and when I said it's all about Roger, the judge said 6 games, but Roger can suspend him for as long as he wants. The judge just gives the NFLPA some leverage to fight with.

First of all OK4P, you do "know" a Browns fan, and I can tell you that we lost a long time with nice guys and Johnny Manziel and decided that it worth trying to win with assholes, which is why we started the whole thing with Baker Mayfield.

Second of all, I'm not standing up for the POS. As a Browns fan (where I got the name topdawg), I have been following it closely and can fill in some holes (no pun intended).

The suspension's going to be what it's going to be because of ol' Roger and nothing else. He wants the longest suspension possible without the NFLPA fighting it. There are some big problems in getting a long suspension.

One is that the 2 strongest cases were taken to a grand jury and they wouldn't indict him for sexual misconduct and it's a common saying amongst lawyers that any prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich.

Second is that the CBA states that owners will be held to a higher standard with regards to suspensions and fines, and Robert Kraft, Dan Snyder, Jimmy Jones, etc. basically got nothing. Suspend him too long and it will end up in court.

Third is that the NFL chose 4 of the masseuses to testify and make their case about. One of these women had friends and relatives talk about how she originally told them how great of a guy he is, how much she enjoyed "everything" and basically shot the NFL's case.

Fourth is that no masseuse that testified in the case said there was violence or coercion.

He did it. We all know he did it. He should be gone. Period. The ones OK4P named should be gone (and Joe Mixon, Stabby Lewis, Rapistberger, Kareem Hunt, and so many others). The players will say they have issues with him playing, but they know that stuff like this happens on a regular basis in pro sports and has for a long time. The league/court should make a huge example of him (boot the SOB) and any others in the near future that do crap like this.

As for the Browns fan in me get your money back if you can, get Jimmy G or whatever, and live off your defense, Chubb, and Hunt.

OK4P isn't wrong. Only the Browns would trade for and give Watson such an absurd contract. Deep down inside you already know that Deshaun Watson in Cleveland isn't going to work out.

OK4P isn't wrong. Only the Browns would trade for and give Watson such an absurd contract. Deep down inside you already know that Deshaun Watson in Cleveland isn't going to work out.
I wouldn't say only the Browns. There were 14 teams that made trade offers or inquired about a trade for him. The Browns were considered 4th of the final 4 teams until the trade was made because of guaranteed money.

I agree that it probably won't work out. The thing that makes me think it may work out is that people have short memories in some cases. Ray Lewis pled down from 2 counts of murder. Roethlisberger was accused and suspended for 2 separate rapes. Jamal Lewis was arrested for possession of 5 kg of cocaine with intent to deliver and spent 4 months in federal prison and played the next season. All of these guys went on to have hall of fame or near hall of fame careers. Countless others have come back and had their major legal issues forgotten.

The one that I think this case compares most to as far as severity goes is Michael Vick. He spent 2 years in prison, was released in July, signed with the Eagles, and played 12 games that season. The next 2 seasons he had his only 2 3000 yard seasons. It wasn't forgotten, but it seemed to work out.

I hope the Browns can get rid of him and get someone that can adequately fill his shoes. It's a shameful embarrassment to the team and fans, but the NFL has a way of burying this kind of stuff in the future for its star players because we all know it's all about money for the league. If anyone thinks I'm an apologist, that couldn't be further from the truth. My best female friend in college was raped and I saw how much it affected her and this kind of stuff will always piss me off because I have seen first hand what it does to people. Unfortunately, the guy was in jail before I had the chance to take batting practice on his face.

Because every town they go to there’s going to be protests, boycotts, you name it which are just going to snowball infinitely bigger and bigger with social media the way it is.

First, please say "personcott" because "boycott" is gendered language, which is a grave threat to our fragile democracy.

Second, I think people are figuring out that these personcott threats are bullshit and that the blue haired gender non-binary persons who advance them are (a) full of shit, and (b) not NFL fans anyway.

Joe Mixon was literally assaulted on tape with no provocation and tossed one punch. Dude should have never even been arrested, but the white knight brigade just can't pass up an opportunity to simp. If I did what that gal did to Joe Mixon and he hit me there's no way that he would have been arrested.

First, please say "personcott" because "boycott" is gendered language, which is a grave threat to our fragile democracy.

Second, I think people are figuring out that these personcott threats are bullshit and that the blue haired gender non-binary persons who advance them are (a) full of shit, and (b) not NFL fans anyway.
I use those because I can't stand the phrase, "cancelled." If you want I can start speaking Woke-ese.

This was actually kind of funny. Modell literally had 18 wheelers lined up and loaded in the middle of the night and left town before anybody even knew anything. Remember seeing the pictures of the 18 wheelers leaving Cleveland? Comical!

Latest posts