Over/ Under on Cubs wins

It SHOULD be...but thanks to big money contracts the team can't even say "F it" and call up a host of younger players to see what they bring on the major league level...until September that is.

this is true, adn there was even a deal for DLee, which he said no too. Way to be selfish. You won't be there next year anyway. If he is Hendry needs to go.

this is true, adn there was even a deal for DLee, which he said no too. Way to be selfish. You won't be there next year anyway. If he is Hendry needs to go.

I don't think player exercising his 10/5 rights is being selfish. Do you think the Cubs would be any better off with Hoffpauir at 1st base?

It SHOULD be...but thanks to big money contracts the team can't even say "F it" and call up a host of younger players to see what they bring on the major league level...until September that is.

There are six rookies on the pitching staff, and Colvin and Castro aren't exactly raking in the cash either. They're not going to have to pay Theriot next year, and DeWitt makes the league minimum for a a player with his experience. It's going to take awhile - at least 2 years - but it seems like the team is heading towards relying more on developing their own talent as opposed to signing free agents.

There are six rookies on the pitching staff, and Colvin and Castro aren't exactly raking in the cash either. They're not going to have to pay Theriot next year, and DeWitt makes the league minimum for a a player with his experience. It's going to take awhile - at least 2 years - but it seems like the team is heading towards relying more on developing their own talent as opposed to signing free agents.
Agreed. The 6 rookie pitchers on the team (when I heard it on TV last night) was eye-opening. I think the Cubs are working towards what you said. It will be an interesting offseason.

I don't think player exercising his 10/5 rights is being selfish. Do you think the Cubs would be any better off with Hoffpauir at 1st base?

I don't think Hoffpauir is better at all, I'm just saying he could've gone to a contender in a city where he is BUILDING a house of his own, and give the cubs some prospects in return. Instead he stays cause he loves the city and it's best for his family, but he's going to be finding a new team in a few months anyway, so yeah it sounds a little selfish to me.

Derrek is building a house in Anaheim? Maybe Derrek realizes that he's toward the tail end of his career, and has a good relationship with his daughters doctors in Chicago. If he thinks staying in Chicago is the best move for his family - something that he no doubt discussed with them - who are we to say otherwise?

I don't think Hoffpauir is better at all, I'm just saying he could've gone to a contender in a city where he is BUILDING a house of his own, and give the cubs some prospects in return. Instead he stays cause he loves the city and it's best for his family, but he's going to be finding a new team in a few months anyway, so yeah it sounds a little selfish to me.

The Angels were 9 games back when he turned down the trade, they were only as much of a contender as the Cubs were. He's been a very good player his entire time here, he's more than earned the right to turn down the trade, plus if the Cubs are getting rid of him why should he care that they get prospects back? And I don't know what kind of prospects you think the Cubs would get back for a two month rental of a first basemen hitting under .250, but odds are they would never contribute on the MLB level.

As a bookie and a huge whitesox fan I'm verry happy to report the preseason line was 82.5 and they have no shot of making that.

I'd just like to say I was at Wrigley the day they put up 15 runs on the "mighty" Brewer. You're welcome. This team is garbage.

Cubs season in a nutshell - 2-4 on the current road trip before Sunday's game. The 2 wins are against Tim Lincecum (struggling recently, but 2 time Cy Young winner) and Chris Carpenter. Interesting.

As of today the cubs are 47-61, with 54 games to go. Where do you put the over/ under on how many wins the Cubs end up the season with.

I'm going with 68.
CF, only because I like to have a little fun, I would like to report that the Cubs have went over the line of 68 wins that you mentioned in the OP here. They are currently 69-84! OK, not really anything to be excited about (maybe they won't win again this year :) ). I do think it is interesting that they have played better (OK, they are 1 game under .500 since then, but it is better!) since this thread was created, but it only shows that you never know in baseball. They are still in 5th place in a terrible division. Of course, most of the improvement has occurred since Lou left and a few players (Lee, Theriot, Fontenot, Lilly, etc.) were traded. The pitching (Dempster's 1 and 1/3 inning with 9 runs given up not withstanding) has been pretty good lately.

You can also see that the Astros are now currently 74-80 and have played well after trading Oswalt and everyone saying they would be terrible. I just think it is fun to look back and see how things work out in baseball. The unpredictableness (word?) is what I enjoy about sports. Carry on, Cub fans. The season is almost over. :D Then, the off-season begins and we have a few months to believe that next year will be different.

Latest posts