Over/Under - Iowa Total Offense in 2023?

MelroseHawkins

I'll set it at 75 which would be a dramatic improvement. This would be about 370 yrds a game which would be well above the 255 yrs a game Iowa has been managing the past couple seasons. Will the additions of McNamara and Ali be enough to gain an extra 120 yrds a game which would play into Iowa winning the line of scrimmage and TOP which is so important for KF's style? Will the line be improved enough to get around the 75 best total offense by the end of the year.

What do you say...................75......over or under?

I think Iowa the OP had it about right.

If you've racked your brain trying to understand what in the world Iowa is doing on offense - year in and year out. Brian gives a very clear explanation of their philosophy in this interview. This is what it is whether you like it or not.

I think Iowa the OP had it about right.

If you've racked your brain trying to understand what in the world Iowa is doing on offense - year in and year out. Brian gives a very clear explanation of their philosophy in this interview. This is what it is whether you like it or not.

Brian talks a lot but does not give you much useful information. What exactly did you learn from that specifically? If he is trying to come across as some secret genius, he is failing.

Ok, maybe I should try harder to understand what he is saying, so let me try to summarize what he said, but I am no genius either.

so Iowa has a defense that tries to limit the number of points it gives up. So how do you do that? Limit the number of the possessions the other team has, Try to maximize the time Iowa offense has the ball and never turn the ball over. So on 2nd and 1 Iowa won't waste a down taking a shot diwnfield because... at this point, I have to guess at what he is implying because he never says anything specifucally..... Anyway, Iowa does not think that way. You might take a shot now and then, but down and distance has nothing to do with it. The key is keeping the ball and not turning the ball over. So Iowa might decide to run a safe play that will get the first down because that keeps the clock running and does not turn the ball over.

Ok, fine but he never gets to the point where he explains how Iowa eventually scores on offense, and how do you balance out taking risks needed to score vs limiting risks that help the defense, unless I missed it.

Just give us one specific example to help us understand.

Brian talks a lot but does not give you much useful information. What exactly did you learn from that specifically? If he is trying to come across as some secret genius, he is failing.

Ok, maybe I should try harder to understand what he is saying, so let me try to summarize what he said, but I am no genius either.

so Iowa has a defense that tries to limit the number of points it gives up. So how do you do that? Limit the number of the possessions the other team has, Try to maximize the time Iowa offense has the ball and never turn the ball over. So on 2nd and 1 Iowa won't waste a down taking a shot diwnfield because... at this point, I have to guess at what he is implying because he never says anything specifucally..... Anyway, Iowa does not think that way. You might take a shot now and then, but down and distance has nothing to do with it. The key is keeping the ball and not turning the ball over. So Iowa might decide to run a safe play that will get the first down because that keeps the clock running and does not turn the ball over.

Ok, fine but he never gets to the point where he explains how Iowa eventually scores on offense, and how do you balance out taking risks needed to score vs limiting risks that help the defense, unless I missed it.

Just give us one specific example to help us understand.
Is there any other school in America that their OC defines their offensive philosophy by what their D does?

I think there's some Big 12 teams that say we need to just give up less than we score, but that's a DC.

I'll set it at 75 which would be a dramatic improvement. This would be about 370 yrds a game which would be well above the 255 yrs a game Iowa has been managing the past couple seasons. Will the additions of McNamara and Ali be enough to gain an extra 120 yrds a game which would play into Iowa winning the line of scrimmage and TOP which is so important for KF's style? Will the line be improved enough to get around the 75 best total offense by the end of the year.

What do you say...................75......over or under?
Over, I’m not buying an Iowa offense until I see results. I will be pleased if they break 90. Big Ten title is my expectation if they go under. I don’t expect them to go under.

There are no waste downs. Waste them and you perform like Iowa has been performing. If I ran the offense I would have a trick play for every game. And I would often use it. A successful trick play would have won us some games in the last two years. And I would almost never complete a pass behind the line of scrimmage unless I had definite superior speed.

There are no waste downs. Waste them and you perform like Iowa has been performing. If I ran the offense I would have a trick play for every game. And I would often use it. A successful trick play would have won us some games in the last two years. And I would almost never complete a pass behind the line of scrimmage unless I had definite superior speed.
Yes, like KC in the superbowl! They used the same trick play twice just in opposite directions and it worked both times.

I have always said they should run the flea flicker play once every game. It's not going to hurt the overall outcome of the game if it doesn't work, but the team could be rewarded nicely if it does work. The risk vs reward is there. It would be something that opposing teams will always have in their heads if they know Iowa runs it once every game and just don't know when it is coming.

This could keep the D a bit honest if they know one is coming at some point. It's just another thing to think of. This would be a case where being predictable could play to your advantage.

Latest posts