Our schedule...

Gohawks123

I knew it was soft...but good grief we are playing several of the worst teams in D1 basketball next year. This might be the softest schedule for a major D1 team in the past decade. Lets hope we don't slip up against any of the pasties. Here are the KenPom rankings from last year....there are 345 D1 teams.

Chicago St - 344
North Carolina A&T - 300
Northern Ill - 273
Creighton - 95
Campbell - 256
IPFW - 178
Clemson - 22
Brown - 244
Northern Iowa - 106
Iowa State - 81
Drake - 200
Central Ark - 335
Boise St - 85

I for one am not complaining about the schedule. When was the last time we had at least an equal amount of wins as the football team at the beginning of the conference slate? Our program is in need of a heavy dose of confidence and if a cream puff schedule is the remedy, then I'm all for it.

You make a good point. There is no real chance of an NCAA bid...so SOS doesn't matter. I guess I'm worried we might not be ready for Big 10 play. I'm not excitied about Creighton on a neutral court after we play three high school teams. Clemson and ISU will be good tests...and UNI should be decent.

I agree. The only reason I'm excited about the Creighton game is because it'll be in my hometown. I do think it will be a tough test but there's nothing like a tournament setting at a neutral site with perennial NCAA tourney invitees.

how is Iowa State 81? From hearing the their fans here I thought they were good. 81 is pretty bad.

So how many other teams will be better this year? Cause 81 is pretty damn pathetic. If every other team improves as much as they do we might have the toughest schedule in the world. :)

I'm all for a soft schedule right now. I'd like to see it get a little more tougher next year but I'll take anything for a winning season now. I've seen other teams have softer schedules than this in the past.

Early season - Carver Hawkeye Mausoleum. Just don't see people working too hard to make it for those games. Hopefully the wins will build some excitement for the B1G slate.

For comparison, here was the 2008 non-conf:

Nov. 9 Wayne State University (exhibition)
Nov. 14 Charleston Southern University
Nov. 17 Texas-San Antonio
Nov. 20 at The Citadel
Nov. 23-25 Las Vegas Invitational (Iowa City)
Nov. 23 vs. Southeast Missouri
Nov. 25 Second round
Nov. 28-29 Las Vegas Invitaitonal (Las Vegas)
Dec. 2 at Boston College (Big Ten/ACC Challenge)
Dec. 6 Bryant University
Dec. 9 Northern Iowa
Dec. 12 Iowa State
Dec. 20 at Drake
Dec. 27 Western Illinois

have you watched Iowa basketball the last few years? Give me one reason they need to play a tougher schedule? Right now this program needs wins more than anything else.

Perfect schedule for this program at this point in the rebuilding process.
ISU will have an influx of top 100 players,like them or not,with White,Allen,Luscious,Babb,Booker...right there in terms of talent,they will be very tough.
UNI will be good.
CU is decent.
Clemson will be good.
Northern Ill is going to be much improved with a new coach and some good new talent.
These other teams? Who know,they may have been young last year and be improved.
This schedule is just what the dr ordered for Iowa.

Perfect schedule for this team. and if they start kicking azz and taking names, people will turn out to watch.

I am a bit disappointed we couldn't get a home and home with SIU-Edwardsville. What did we score on them....99 or some crazy number? We aren't trying to convince the selection panel that we deserve a 2 seed based on our SOS, so let's get a few wins under our belt before calling out Duke.

Perfect schedule for this program at this point in the rebuilding process.
ISU will have an influx of top 100 players,like them or not,with White,Allen,Luscious,Babb,Booker...right there in terms of talent,they will be very tough.
UNI will be good.
CU is decent.
Clemson will be good.
Northern Ill is going to be much improved with a new coach and some good new talent.
These other teams? Who know,they may have been young last year and be improved.
This schedule is just what the dr ordered for Iowa.

I don't see Clemson as being good. They will be average at best with the players they lost.

It's not a great deal easier than last year. Somewhat. Should come out of it at a minimum of 10-3, maybe better. If it's below 10 wins it will be real ugly again at the end of the season. First test should be Creighton but still have nightmares of NDSU from last year.

Latest posts