Our lineup next year will be extremely diverse

Agreed Duff. First time in a long time that we are going to have 13 legit D-1 basketball players on the team.

Another thing to consider is how much more competitive practices are going to be because of the depth we will have.

Remember the days of Alford when it seemed like every other year we would be down to 7 or 8 scholarship players?

And then with licklieter is was every year.

You think it was by accident he ended up at Iowa? No one recruited this kid. With his lack of size and no outside shot, he has hit his ceiling. I think he can continue to get a few minutes a game but that is about it. Basabe would have been great on this team a few years ago, but as Fran continues to bring in real B1G talent, I don't see how he can keep up.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think it's crazy to claim that someone in their Soph season has reached their ceiling. Players progress in spurts, and they have their ups and downs. Just look at McCabe - he's playing at a much different level than he was earlier in the year.

Basabe has not hit his ceiling. I'm not sure why he is not playing up to what he did last year, but even if he was playing at that level, his ceiling is higher.

If he can develop a 12-15 foot jumper, which I believe he is capable of doing, he would be a lot more difficult to defend.

Do people not remember the Alford years? I saw many players max out their potential after their Freshmen year.

Do people not remember the Alford years? I saw many players max out their potential after their Freshmen year.

1) Please name them
2) That doesn't mean they've reached their ceiling
3) Alford doesn't coach here anymore

Maybe. But the question is whether or not you could have predicted after these player's frosh seasons that they had maxed out. I doubt it. But you seem to think you can make this prediction for Basabe. Tell us which other Iowa players have reached their ceiling.

Has Basabe reached his ceiling? I don't know and neither does anyone else on this board. I do find it interesting that so many rate him ahead on McCabe when his play this year is no where close to McCabes.

Agree with AZ...I wasn' intending to bash Basabe, just can't figure out why anyone who has watched a game this year would rate Basabe ahead of McCabe. McCabe is so far ahead of Basabe in both current talent level and potential, and it's not even that close.

Maybe. But the question is whether or not you could have predicted after these player's frosh seasons that they had maxed out. I doubt it. But you seem to think you can make this prediction for Basabe. Tell us which other Iowa players have reached their ceiling.

This is a strange hijack from the OP. Are you a relative of Mel?

IMO, Mel needs to 'evolutionize' himself. With the upcoming big men recruits (I'm not forgetting you O) and the rigors of the B1G, I don't think Mel will have much of a future down low.

At the beginning of the season, Fran asked Mel to put on weight because Iowa didn't have a lot of athletes who could contend down low this year. Mel put on the weight but shortly after took it back off because he said he felt more effective as a player when lighter.

Will Mel find a 12-18 foot jump shot? Will he learn to shoot the ball facing the basket? Will he practice his ball skills? Using the weight gain-loss example in the previous paragraph, I'm skeptical. I'm, however, hopeful.

The question isn't if someone is sure Mel has reached his ceiling. The question is, rather, will Mel put in the effort to be a contributor to this team.

Last edited:

Latest posts