Our Coaches are too Classy

kirby

However,

I would like to see Iowa's football staff to start contacting committed football recruits at N'Wstern and Wisky...the B-10 just made it open season on players who have signed LOIs.

How bout that TE from Illinois? Same deal or not?

CJ never "signed" a letter of intent. He was only a verbal to Illinois which is far different.

I think this opens up a whole new gray area in recruiting in conference. These coaches all have access to kids at AAU tourney's etc even if they are commited to another school. Say a kid like Brust who is commited to Iowa is getting red carpet treatment at Nike camp from Illinois or NOrthwestern; we all know he wants to play in the Big Ten; well, he didn't have that option under scholarship until this ruling today. Now that a waiver has been granted, what is there to stop this from happening regularly?

It does open up a can of worms...kind of like "I have not been contacted by anyone at the university of "fill in the blank", about their head coaching job!" Meanwhile, his lawyer is running information between him and the school's "representative" so the coach can say that.

Who's to say that if School A loses a player to the NBA after a great run in the tourney and it's going to open up a scholly or a lot of PT that they didn't have for a player that wound up committing to his second choice? "Psst...coach wanted me to let you know that if you were to ever want out of your LOI with school B, school A would love to have you now!"

Coaches can't talk to players that have signed LOIs with other schools. Once that player is released, any coach can talk to him. This ruling by the Big 10 changes nothing as far as that is concerned; all it changes is that teams can now sign players that have been released from their LOIs by other conference schools.

It does open up a can of worms...kind of like "I have not been contacted by anyone at the university of "fill in the blank", about their head coaching job!" Meanwhile, his lawyer is running information between him and the school's "representative" so the coach can say that.

Who's to say that if School A loses a player to the NBA after a great run in the tourney and it's going to open up a scholly or a lot of PT that they didn't have for a player that wound up committing to his second choice? "Psst...coach wanted me to let you know that if you were to ever want out of your LOI with school B, school A would love to have you now!"

That could have happened before, just not within the conference.

Coaches can't talk to players that have signed LOIs with other schools. Once that player is released, any coach can talk to him. This ruling by the Big 10 changes nothing as far as that is concerned; all it changes is that teams can now sign players that have been released from their LOIs by other conference schools.

yea,right...technically coaches cannot talk to them,but let me just speculate that the fact that wisky was lining up a visit about 30 seconds after Ben was released could indicate that some kind of contact was made by wisky and NW to ascertain if Ben was going to stick with Iowa or was interested in moving on. And now, with this new ''interpetation'' of the rule,interested parties in the conference will be all over committed players reassuring them that they have interest before they even ask out of their commit...encouraging them to ask out...can of worms is officially open,and big ten recruiting amongst themselves just stepped down into the muck even more....nice job Big Ten academic advisors who know zip about the rough and tumble world of college bb recruiting.

Latest posts