Our 3 point shooting

I

Ian Pike Hammer

We are rocketing up the stats, since JBo, Baer and Moss have found their shots. We currently are the 53rd best 3 pt shooting team in the nation. During our non-conf. schedule, we sat around #233. Early conf. games, we moved up about 100 spots to 102 and now we are 3rd in the B1G behind only #14 Mich. St. and #`7 Wisc. nationally.

We are rocketing up the stats, since JBo, Baer and Moss have found their shots. We currently are the 53rd best 3 pt shooting team in the nation. During our non-conf. schedule, we sat around #233. Early conf. games, we moved up about 100 spots to 102 and now we are 3rd in the B1G behind only #14 Mich. St. and #`7 Wisc. nationally.

we sure could have used better shooting against WUs.

I get a lot out of listening to opponents broadcasts. IL has the best commentary on opponents.

About Iowa:

Great defensive length (causes problems against shorter players.

Switching up defenses rapidly creates chaos for the opponents, especially young and inexperienced.

JS and Moss have great shooting form.

Highly impressed with JW defense playing beyond his experience.

Pushing the ball the way Iowa does is hard to get adjusted.

They think the world of Cook and J Bo.

JBo works well with Moss.

Free throw shooting is a big plus and a result of pushing the ball.

Outstanding inside outside game

Historically can tend to lose their way implying they struggle with adversity.

My own personal opinion is that JW with his fundamentals and steady hand/head is the biggest improvement this year aside from experience.

Our conference wins are against atrocious teams. The real test of this squad is coming up with MSU, UM, and Indiana. If the Hawks can hang with those teams then they're the real deal.

Our conference wins are against atrocious teams. The real test of this squad is coming up with MSU, UM, and Indiana. If the Hawks can hang with those teams then they're the real deal.

Regardless of who the opponents have been we're winning the games we should. Real deal or not were definitely playing better than we did last year and at this point I just hope we continue to improve. I don't know if it's fair to use MSU and UM as points of comparison as I don't think we're at that level, but definitely playing much better ball than we did last year.

I get a lot out of listening to opponents broadcasts. IL has the best commentary on opponents.

About Iowa:

Great defensive length (causes problems against shorter players.

Switching up defenses rapidly creates chaos for the opponents, especially young and inexperienced.

JS and Moss have great shooting form.

Highly impressed with JW defense playing beyond his experience.

Pushing the ball the way Iowa does is hard to get adjusted.

They think the world of Cook and J Bo.

JBo works well with Moss.

Free throw shooting is a big plus and a result of pushing the ball.

Outstanding inside outside game

Historically can tend to lose their way implying they struggle with adversity.

My own personal opinion is that JW with his fundamentals and steady hand/head is the biggest improvement this year aside from experience.
Wiescamp's confidence, and swag, are growing by the game.

Now, opponents are going to have to account for him and give him extra respect. That will open things up for others even more.

We will get one of the two Michigan's at home. We could potentially carve the Wolverines up inside, forcing them to play bigger.

Tyler and Luka had the high low game working yesterday that wasn't working against Wisconsin. Cook and Moss both had some nice assists in addition to the usual contributions from JBo and Connor.

Regardless of who the opponents have been we're winning the games we should. Real deal or not were definitely playing better than we did last year and at this point I just hope we continue to improve. I don't know if it's fair to use MSU and UM as points of comparison as I don't think we're at that level, but definitely playing much better ball than we did last year.

It's just the nature of fandom and who people are. Before the year, if you discussed even making the tournament, you were put in the corner. How could you possibly believe that? How dumb can someone be to think that? I'll admit, that doubt came into my head. Was I just cheering blindly for Fran, or did I really believe in him and what he was doing? I started to think I was a blind homer. The posters on here, got to me. I started listening. I was 1 foot in 1 foot out guy. But I said, I'll give Fran 1 year to turn it around. He deserved that IMO. He had built enough good will with me...which was why I found it so disheartening that fans turned on Fran the first chance they got.

A lot of us fought for Fran last season because many people thought that last year was an outlier on a fairly solid resume that Fran had built taking over for a program that had tanked. It hadn't been great, but it had been taking steps. Some argued that his recruiting had actually gotten better. At least on paper. I definitely subscribed to that. I made a $50 bet with Lightning1 on Iowa making the tournament this summer. I felt pretty comfortable with Iowa having a bounce back season. Everyone called me crazy and to be honest, there were tons of points along the way I was starting to agree with them.

But make no doubt, now Iowa is 16-3 and those same posters who said Iowa wouldn't make the dance are now moving the target. Now, the bar is beating top 10 teams and pretty soon it's going to be "Does Fran need to make a sweet 16 this year to not be fired"?

That's how it works... or at least how it works here. Always has. The minute they lose their next game it will open the door for criticism and that's fine by me..... that's what we do.

They don’t fit the narrative.

see that's what sucks is that they can change the narrative and target when Iowa's winning but when they lose the fans who stick with the team are still here to face the music. When Iowa wins and the fans who stick with the team want to get a little cocky you're still told that you need to wait because impending doom is on the way.

God, why do I like sports?

The real test for Iowa is beating the teams they should beat moving forward, and maybe stealing one or two. Would you be happy if Iowa finished above .500 in the Big Ten? I sure would.

Hopefully the haters on the board won't lose their shit if Iowa loses to a couple of potential final four teams. But, alas, they probably will and we'll see the usual suspects on this board bring their "expertise" to us after a loss or two.

Iowa is a legit top 25 team at this point. Enjoy the moment.

It's just the nature of fandom and who people are. Before the year, if you discussed even making the tournament, you were put in the corner. How could you possibly believe that? How dumb can someone be to think that? I'll admit, that doubt came into my head. Was I just cheering blindly for Fran, or did I really believe in him and what he was doing? I started to think I was a blind homer. The posters on here, got to me. I started listening. I was 1 foot in 1 foot out guy. But I said, I'll give Fran 1 year to turn it around. He deserved that IMO. He had built enough good will with me...which was why I found it so disheartening that fans turned on Fran the first chance they got.

A lot of us fought for Fran last season because many people thought that last year was an outlier on a fairly solid resume that Fran had built taking over for a program that had tanked. It hadn't been great, but it had been taking steps. Some argued that his recruiting had actually gotten better. At least on paper. I definitely subscribed to that. I made a $50 bet with Lightning1 on Iowa making the tournament this summer. I felt pretty comfortable with Iowa having a bounce back season. Everyone called me crazy and to be honest, there were tons of points along the way I was starting to agree with them.

But make no doubt, now Iowa is 16-3 and those same posters who said Iowa wouldn't make the dance are now moving the target. Now, the bar is beating top 10 teams and pretty soon it's going to be "Does Fran need to make a sweet 16 this year to not be fired"?

That's how it works... or at least how it works here. Always has. The minute they lose their next game it will open the door for criticism and that's fine by me..... that's what we do.
what's Nebraska and Ohio State Fryguy?

Nebraska you could probably make the argument that they’re a decent team. Ohio State has dropped four conference games in a row. You’re letting their “used to be ranked” cloud your vision.

Either way I’m definitely enjoying seeing your drama queen come back out. I missed it for a while, ummm, ingoodcompanyguy? I guess?

Now get back in the kitchen and write me another essay.

Inside/Out..... As much credit that should go to the guys knocking down the shots, some has to go to Garza and Cook. Most teams are having difficulty guarding these guys 1-1 and the ball movement has been good too. When they do get the defense rotating, we are making the right passes or an extra pass.

Defensively as a team, that first half is the best I've seen the team play. Nearly every shot was contested, the ball pressure was good without giving up driving lanes.

It's easy to say that we played well when a team shoots like that but the level of basketball that they played on both ends was extremely high.

Nebraska you could probably make the argument that they’re a decent team. Ohio State has dropped four conference games in a row. You’re letting their “used to be ranked” cloud your vision.

Either way I’m definitely enjoying seeing your drama queen come back out. I missed it for a while, ummm, ingoodcompanyguy? I guess?

Now get back in the kitchen and write me another essay.

You never disappoint Fry, what am I being dramatic about now in your estimation? You're the one who called Iowa's wins in conference over "atrocious" teams. I think you're letting your "4 games don't make a season" cloud your vision. Used to be ranked, as in, last week? ok. haha.

I'm the dramatic one

giphy.gif

On top of that Iowa also has an inside game as well. many of the top 3 pt shooting teams are smaller schools that maybe don't get the recruits like P5 schools and are pretty much guard oriented and chuck it teams.

Kenpom has Iowa's adjusted offense ranking at #8 in the country. However, adjusted defense is #95 in the country. Iowa has the worst adjusted defensive rating of any team in the kenpom top 50.

Kind of funny going from football where our defense is great and offense sucks...to basketball where our offense is great and our defense sucks. Maybe Kirk and Fran should combine forces.

Kenpom has Iowa's adjusted offense ranking at #8 in the country. However, adjusted defense is #95 in the country. Iowa has the worst adjusted defensive rating of any team in the kenpom top 50.

Kind of funny going from football where our defense is great and offense sucks...to basketball where our offense is great and our defense sucks. Maybe Kirk and Fran should combine forces.

I get the feeling if you eliminated MSU and Purdue game that defensive rating would be significantly different.

They've improved a lot over last year but they still struggle putting forth consistency on defense. First half vs Ill was great, second half there were some possessions after hitting a three where there was zero effort at all.