Other Site in Complete Meltdown Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
dncolo2 - you come across as a jilted lover. I've been a member of HR for a couple of years and have followed the events the past week. Your assessment is way off base....seems like you have an axe to grind with Tom and Todd.

Not going to get into details but the other Hawkeye site - not Howe's- is in complete meltdown mode due to two admins that are proving more inept by the day.
One earler this week jumps the gun on reporting news about Horner and gets his butt chewed by the new basketball staff.
Now the head administrator is making strong claims that make Barta look very bad because he has gotten way way too close to two of the incoming recruits and their families.
The head administrator has no clue how to draw the line between being a journalist and getting in bed with recruits and their families and should lose his job for it.
The other admin is just incompetant period for a long list of reasons.
Jon it's makes me appreciate your site so much more.

I'm a member at HR, and it doesn't look like you have your story straight. Tom has said he hopes Barta comes out with clarification today (Saturday) on the situation, but nothing is confirmed. I'm glad they've shared with us what they have.

Can someone give me the cliff notes on what is being discussed?

Iowa gave the Brust and Larson a full release. Turns out the Big Ten has a rule that even when you sign a LOI with a Big Ten school you cannot transfer to another Big Ten school and receive a scholarship this first year. So, if Brust or Larson want to sign with a WI, IN or tOSU, they will have to pay their own way next year.

Somehow, the admin at HR decided this was Barta's fault because maybe this rule was not fully explained to the recruits. Posting that Iowa needs to do something before they take a big publicity hit. Got a lot of posters worked up. Brust's family is supposedly meeting with the Big Ten suits today to get a waiver.

Bottom line - Iowa gave a full release, Big Ten says this means Brust or Larson must pay their own way next year if they attend a Big Ten school, HR admin gets everyone worked up saying Barta screwed something up, OP in this thread decides it is a melt down.

Iowa gave the Brust and Larson a full release. Turns out the Big Ten has a rule that even when you sign a LOI with a Big Ten school you cannot transfer to another Big Ten school and receive a scholarship this first year. So, if Brust or Larson want to sign with a WI, IN or tOSU, they will have to pay their own way next year.

Somehow, the admin at HR decided this was Barta's fault because maybe this rule was not fully explained to the recruits. Posting that Iowa needs to do something before they take a big publicity hit. Got a lot of posters worked up. Brust's family is supposedly meeting with the Big Ten suits today to get a waiver.

Bottom line - Iowa gave a full release, Big Ten says this means Brust or Larson must pay their own way next year if they attend a Big Ten school, HR admin gets everyone worked up saying Barta screwed something up, OP in this thread decides it is a melt down.

Thanks, Cliff, excellent distillation.:)

So lemme make sure I gots this straight.

Iowa, which is a member of the Big 10, releases two recruits unconditionally. Yet, the Big 10 has a rule in place that you can't transfer within the conference without paying your own way, and this is somehow Iowa's fault for not explaining this? EFF THAT!

Want some cheese with that whine?

Isn't this kinda like when a state creates a law that violates the United States constitution, that law is no longer legal?

dncolo2 - you come across as a jilted lover. I've been a member of HR for a couple of years and have followed the events the past week. Your assessment is way off base....seems like you have an axe to grind with Tom and Todd.

I have posted on their site less than 100 times in 2 years so absolutely no axe to grind.
What happened is Tom ran with info. from the Brust and Larson camps on how they were angry and that Iowa deceived them in their understanding of the release from the LOI.
Tom never even checked with Barta first.
Go read the original thread, about 200 posts long now, and you'll see I am far from being the only one who feels Tom was way out of line.
And if any of you who are HR memebers dont believe Tom has gotten far too close with these two recruits and their families then you havent paid attention.
At least Jon here waited until he got the full story from Barta before jumping to conclusions.
Amazing some of you cant see what the problem was in the reporting.

This.
Another reader over there who saw the same thing. I used the word meltdown because there were 150 posts in the thread in about 2-3 hours time last night; so yeah, worked up; meltdown, call it what you will but it got the emotions worked up.

I have posted on their site less than 100 times in 2 years so absolutely no axe to grind.
What happened is Tom ran with info. from the Brust and Larson camps on how they were angry and that Iowa deceived them in their understanding of the release from the LOI.
Tom never even checked with Barta first.
Go read the original thread, about 200 posts long now, and you'll see I am far from being the only one who feels Tom was way out of line.
And if any of you who are HR memebers dont believe Tom has gotten far too close with these two recruits and their families then you havent paid attention.
At least Jon here waited until he got the full story from Barta before jumping to conclusions.
Amazing some of you cant see what the problem was in the reporting.

For a few hours last night, it was pretty hectic over there, not sure if it was a full on meltdown, but interesting to watch.

I was one that took some issue with the way Tom was commenting on the situation, and voiced my thoughts in that is seemed out of the ordinary for him. Tom to his credit replied and admitted he could of phrased things a bit better, he was trying to defend the kids, from comments made by posters over there.

It could of gotten out of control, but I think he reigned things in pretty well.

Sadly there is a certain degree of arrogance with the administrators on the other site - nothing I can do about it, but continue to support this site!

As for the players, I completely agree with the Big Ten rule, so I have no problem with the situation. Once players ask of of a LOI, they don't come back to that same school (different scenario than backing out of a verbal committment, than re-committing like Riley Reiff).

I agree 10000% with the OP. Yesterday in a thread titled Cody Larson, I had posted on the subject matter, which was Cody and Ben not receiving an unconditional release. Tom Kakert has lost it when it comes to professionalism with me. Below is a discussion that took place between Kakert and myself that led to him blacklisting me from his site. I wanted to get some others opinions on this, preferrably Jon's as he is an administrator himself and runs this site. This is off the premium board, however it contains no insight into any premium info from Hawkeyereport. Let me know what some of you think.

Myself and how I felt about the unconditional release:

I agree. This isn't the first time or last time that type of practice has occurred. I have no problem with Iowa making that part of the deal as it was a binding contract that the kids signed on for. I'm sure no where in the contract it stated that they were signing on to play for Todd Lickliter University. I'm sorry, but they signed and this does happen at other institutions quite often. If you want to play in the Big Ten they should have to pay their own way.

Tom Kakerts response to me:

Your blind hate for Lickliter knows no end does it?

My response to Tom Kakert:

I actually don't have any kind of hate for Lickliter, I just think he wasn't right for Iowa ultimately. I still think he can coach. However, your coddling of Lickliter is very noticeable up until he was fired. Straddle the fence!

Tom Kakerts response to me:

Whatever there tough guy. Good to see you can make blanket statement about me that you can't back up either.

After that last response from himself, he blacklisted me. Keep in mind that I have never called Todd Lickliter any names or anything of the sort. In fact in an earlier thread there were numerous people ripping on Todd Lickliter and his not being able to connect with recruits. The title of that thread was Chasson Randle. I simply said in that thread that people needed to stop hijacking the thread with the Todd Lickliter bashing.

Whenever I did criticize Todd Lickliter, I did so with presenting of facts, ie, transfer rate and overall record. Kakert also accused me of ripping on Cody Larson and Ben Brust. That is an outright lie and this whole experience has left me flabbergasted as to what Mr. Kakert is doing over there. The only thing I have mentioned in regard to Brust and Larson is that while they are good players, they are no what I would call difference makers for a program. That is all I have said. For those that know me from over on the other site (screen name of TWISM) I would like some dialogue from you on whether I went anywhere near close to crossing the line. I have always respected every poster on any site I've belonged to.

I have contacted Mr. Kakert by mail and right now we have a running conversation going on. I've asked for him to provide exact post of mine that have contributed to him blacklisting me because I have absolutley no clue what he is talking about. So much to the point that I've told him that I think he must have me confused with someone else.

I right this because, I do believe the admins on that site have lost all sense of professionalism. Reporting the Horner thing without confirmation and then basically only getting one side of the story from the Brust and Larson families before running with it. Also Kakert posturing and calling me a "tough guy". What? Is that professional? What the heck is that all about.

Again, I would like feedback from people if you feel that Mr. Kakert was right in his stance to blacklist me. Thanks!

I guess he does not like being called a coddler. :)

Unfortunately for you, he chooses who posts to his site. I am sure he will reinstate you after you show the "proper amount" of contrition.

I do agree, the admins over there are very thin skinned (yet they dish out the insults pretty freely).

SCHawk, yes I did call him a coddler, which is an observation I made, much in the same way he mad the assertion that I "hated" Todd Lickliter, which is absolutely not true. Not to mention calling me a "tough guy" lol! What? I do agree with you though, they dish out the insults over there and they do have the power of who they can blacklist. My assertion is that they have turned completely unprofessional which is sad.

Tom and Todd over there have incredibly think skin while Todd is a complete D-bag especially.
This latest incident with them is what happens when they get their personal feelings far too involved-which happens often with them.
Kakert even admitted a couple months ago he especially like Lickliter and one of the reasons is because Lickliter would always ask him how he was doing and called him by name.
On the other side Todd talked openly about not liking Alford for personal reasons.
Bottom line neither is professional in the responsibilities they are to have and that is why their site has gone downhill quite fast.
Unfortunately they are too arrogant to even recognize this.

I am on that site a lot and I don't get that from Kakert. I see him as being pretty fair. I haven't heard anything about him saying that Payne is leaving?

NewMexHawk, did you read my post above? Do you think that is fair treatment? If you do, that's fine, but I definitely think Kakert has lost his professionalism during the Todd Lickliter firing until today.

I signed up for that site at the end of the bball season when it seemed obvious there were going to be changes in the program. I saw some of what the OP mentions (not directed at me but at others). Amateur hour; not what I would call a professional operation. I canceled my subscription after three weeks (they make that somewhat hard to do). Not worth my money.

tweeterhawk, I'm currently blacklisted over there for actually asking how to cancel my membership. Todd & Kakert have both posted wrong info in the last several days about Horner and the original LOI stuff. They seem to be in such a hurry to be the first to report something that they don't check it out first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts