OT - Your favorite Beatles song

Greatest song of all time? I don't know about all that. I do like it though. It is like 'Hotel California', great tune, but the greatest song ever? To this day I still don't know what 'Hotel Calfornia ' is about.

'Imagine' glorified atheism. I've heard that 'Hotel California' had elements of satanism in it. I'll pass on both of them.

you've just one-upped your previous comment. Clearly you know nothing about music theory
In my musical theory class, the professor argued that they picked up their theory by osmosis since they were a cover band for years before they became big. The theory here is that by playing other bands songs, the Beatles were able to grab things they liked from each band. Lennon didn't even know what an aeolian scale was despite it showing up in his music. Check out George Martin's book, All You Need Is Ears. It does a good job of explaining where the Beatles "theory" actually came from.

In my musical theory class, the professor argued that they picked up their theory by osmosis since they were a cover band for years before they became big. The theory here is that by playing other bands songs, the Beatles were able to grab things they liked from each band. Lennon didn't even know what an aeolian scale was despite it showing up in his music. Check out George Martin's book, All You Need Is Ears. It does a good job of explaining where the Beatles "theory" actually came from.

That's true of most every artist...be it musical or otherwise. You expose yourself to other music and art...you take it in...you learn from it both consciously and unconsciously...and you develop your own style and interpretations...which come out in your music (art). Listening....is the foundation of every musician... you speak as if it's something to apologize for.

I didn't suggest the Beatles studied theory, I suggested that your statement that their music was "four chord crap" revealed how little you know about it. Some things can't be adequately explained in a class... you have to experience them.

But I understand where you're coming from. Negative revisionist history is hip... especially on campus.

That's true of most every artist...be it musical or otherwise. You expose yourself to other music and art...you take it in...you learn from it both consciously and unconsciously...and you develop your own style and interpretations...which come out in your music (art). Listening....is the foundation of every musician... you speak as if it's something to apologize for.

I didn't suggest the Beatles studied theory, I suggested that your statement that their music was "four chord crap" revealed how little you know about it. Some things can't be adequately explained in a class... you have to experience them.

But I understand where you're coming from. Negative revisionist history is hip... especially on campus.
Yeahhh maaaannnn. You can't just listen to the Beatles.....you gotta experience them maaaannnnnnn. This is good. Now I know where you're coming from, and I'm pretty sure it's this mornings bong rip.

The first three songs I learned when I took guitar lessons were, Twist and Shout, Hey Jude, and All You Need Is Love. I was 8. While they might have been innovative in their time, most of their catalog is so simplistic that an 8 year old can learn it.

You also said something interesting when you call music 'art'. Art is subjective. You may see a masterpiece but I see a bunch of squiggly lines on a canvas. You hear a Beethoven symphony, and I hear 4 chord crap.

I'm done talking about this. But just let me leave you with this....Ahem........

OVERRATED (clap clap clap clap clap) OVERRATED (clap clap clap clap clap) OVERRATED (clap clap clap clap clap) OVERRATED (clap clap clap clap clap)

Yeahhh maaaannnn. You can't just listen to the Beatles.....you gotta experience them maaaannnnnnn. This is good. Now I know where you're coming from, and I'm pretty sure it's this mornings bong rip.

The first three songs I learned when I took guitar lessons were, Twist and Shout, Hey Jude, and All You Need Is Love. I was 8. While they might have been innovative in their time, most of their catalog is so simplistic that an 8 year old can learn it.

You also said something interesting when you call music 'art'. Art is subjective. You may see a masterpiece but I see a bunch of squiggly lines on a canvas. You hear a Beethoven symphony, and I hear 4 chord crap.

I'm done talking about this. But just let me leave you with this....Ahem........

OVERRATED (clap clap clap clap clap) OVERRATED (clap clap clap clap clap) OVERRATED (clap clap clap clap clap) OVERRATED (clap clap clap clap clap)

Of course art is subjective...that's largely the beauty of it. As for "simple 4 chord songs"...that describes 99% of rock and roll.

The list of bands and musicians who site the Beatles as major influences is longer than you and I could list if we tried. Rolling Stone's TOP500 songs of all times lists them 23 times, and more if you include Lennon, McCartney and Harrison as solo artists. Next closest are the Stones with 14. (talk about simple 3-4 chord R&R)

But what do all those people know. Clearly you're the expert here.

Last edited:
Of course art is subjective...that's largely the beauty of it. As for "simple 4 chord songs"...that describes 99% of rock and roll.

The list of bands and musicians who site the Beatles as major influences is longer than you and I could list if we tried. Rolling Stone's TOP500 songs of all times lists them 23 times, more when you include Lennon, McCartney and Harrison as solo artists. Next closest are the Stones with 14.

But what do all these people know. Clearly you're the expert here.
I didn't say that they weren't influential or popular. I said that they are overrated. Their music doesn't come close to the way you, and others praise it.

'Imagine' glorified atheism. I've heard that 'Hotel California' had elements of satanism in it. I'll pass on both of them.
You know what Steve...I have a band that you should check out. They are called the Grateful Dead. I know you'll like them. Their music is varied and raw...although they may deal with a few sensitive subjects you may or may not be ready for.

I didn't say that they weren't influential or popular. I said that they are overrated. Their music doesn't come close to the way you, and others praise it.
I'll bet it would be easier for you if you could just look at their won-lost record. Hint...art isn't like that and you can't tell someone that an artist is overrated. It's in the eye of the beholder...sorry...as cliche as that may sound.

You know what Steve...I have a band that you should check out. They are called the Grateful Dead. I know you'll like them. Their music is varied and raw...although they may deal with a few sensitive subjects you may or may not be ready for.

You know I used to like these kind songs but in my middle age, I'll pass on songs about atheism, satanism, raping women, stuff like that. I like other Lennon Eagles stuff and maybe a song or two from the Dead though.

TONS of great songs by The Beatles. If you ever get a chance to see LOVE at the Mirage in Vegas, it's worth every penny, even if you're just a casual Beatles fan.
That said, every guy you know can easily evaluated by asking the following three questions:
Elvis or The Beatles
Ginger or Mary Ann
mixed drink or beer

Ponder that a bit.
GO HAWKS!!!

The White Album and Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band about covers it for me. I can't just pick one song.
The White Album. That brings back memories. In August, 1969, we landed at Tan Son Nhut in Saigon. The first thing I remember was the intense heat. The second thing I remember, as I was walking toward a large warehouse type building, is hearing the song Rocky Raccoon from the White Album playing somewhere in the distance.

so the Beatles musical arrangements were not overly complex, they were often simple. The lyrics were sometimes simple as well. And at the same time poetic.

Its ok.

Yellow Submarine! My brother had a 56 Caddy and the color was.............yellow! Needless to say the Caddies nickname was the Yellow Sub. That song has stuck in my brain all these years! :)

One of my buddies was a big Dead fan...so I finally went to one of their shows. Glad he was there to wake me up when it was time to walk back to the car and drive home.