OT: What's Your Scoville Ranking?

https://flavourjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/2044-7248-1-22

Pretty good academic study talking about it. There's a particular gene making a person more sensitive to the soapy tasting particles, more common in Eastern Europeans (me) and less common among Central and South Americans which would explain it's popularity in that region.
Doesn't taste soapy to me but I can't get over how the divas on the Food Network throw it on food in much too generous portions. Cilantro to me can easily overpower a dish, almost as much as using too hot a pepper. It can throw off the balance of flavors all too well if one is not careful.

That's nuts. I kind of do that now but am toned down on both the substance abuse and the heat. After my aforementioned scarred esophagus I have no interest in trying something like that. Glad he found a replacement though, looks like they aren't dangerous to consume - I had heard of holes in stomachs and ruptured esophaguses as risks of the reaper but it seems most experts say they are safe to consume - if you consider the side effects of shortness of breath, vomiting, and dehydration from excessive sweating to be safe :) Those 600 jalepenos look good, but with a shortage of TP right now, probably not a good idea.

The capsaicin that creates the "heat" in hot peppers does not actually create heat, of course, it just binds to our thermoreceptors that sense heat, and in so doing creates the illusion of heat. In much the same way, menthol binds to cold thermoreceptors and creates the illusion of cold. So the pepper itself cannot damage tissues.

However, spicy food can increase gastric reflux (along with tomoatoes, citrus, alcohol, caffeine, garlic and onions, chocolate, etc.), which can cause esophagitis (sounds like this is likely your issue).

Capsaicin can do some serious damage, though, but not directly. Because it activates pain receptors as well as thermoreceptors, it can elicit severe reflex responses that can mess you up good.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...per-world-first-hospitalized-brain/502083002/

Doesn't taste soapy to me but I can't get over how the divas on the Food Network throw it on food in much too generous portions. Cilantro to me can easily overpower a dish, almost as much as using too hot a pepper. It can throw off the balance of flavors all too well if one is not careful.

Boy I agree. A little bit of cilantro can really go a long way. I really like it though. I can't get enough in salsa or on a taco. It can overpower though, like too much cumin or nutmeg. Goes a long way.

The capsaicin that creates the "heat" in hot peppers does not actually create heat, of course, it just binds to our thermoreceptors that sense heat, and in so doing creates the illusion of heat. In much the same way, menthol binds to cold thermoreceptors and creates the illusion of cold. So the pepper itself cannot damage tissues.

However, spicy food can increase gastric reflux (along with tomoatoes, citrus, alcohol, caffeine, garlic and onions, chocolate, etc.), which can cause esophagitis (sounds like this is likely your issue).

Capsaicin can do some serious damage, though, but not directly. Because it activates pain receptors as well as thermoreceptors, it can elicit severe reflex responses that can mess you up good.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...per-world-first-hospitalized-brain/502083002/

Interesting, always wondered why the peppers over 500,000 didn't cause burns in the mouth or esophagus. Makes sense.

Yep! Capsaicin itself is defined as an "irritant for mammals". That "was" my issue, backed the spice down and was better after a few weeks!

Could you imagine the coin one would make if they developed a medication/substance to immediately offset the effects of Capsaicin and take the individual back to homeostasis.

Yep! Capsaicin itself is defined as an "irritant for mammals". That "was" my issue, backed the spice down and was better after a few weeks!

And oddly, birds don't have any receptors that bind capsaicin, which is why you can load your bird seed with cayenne to keep the squirrels away, and the birds think nothing of it. Nature!

Latest posts