OT: What's Your Scoville Ranking?

Cilantro is an interesting one, there's definitely a genetic predisposition. Some have exactly your take on it, others love it.
https://flavourjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/2044-7248-1-22

Pretty good academic study talking about it. There's a particular gene making a person more sensitive to the soapy tasting particles, more common in Eastern Europeans (me) and less common among Central and South Americans which would explain it's popularity in that region.

For those who really like spicy food, probably not. They'd get diluted with the bread/meat/fixins enough I think that they wouldnt be too bad. I can say though that I've only done the latter :)
My mind is going in the direction of maybe a teaspoon of that pickle juice in a bottle of Cookies Western Smokehouse BBQ sauce...

You guys have probably gathered that I'm not a picky eater and that I like trying/cooking a variety of foods.

But there are two flavors I absolutely cannot do. One is horseradish and the other is anise. No horseradish spread, wasabe, black licorice, none of that stuff. I don't know what it is, but I just get flat out replused by it.

Oh, and cilantro. I get shivers when I think of cilantro. Tastes like I just drank a 50/50 mix of PineSol and Dawn dish soap. Good god I'm getting creeped out just thinking about it.
Fun little study about cilantro preferences - https://flavourjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/2044-7248-1-8

Edit: lol just saw you posted the exact same article.

It's funny that to some cilantro tastes like hand soap, I'm definitely a picky eater. Mostly refuse to eat fish, hate mushrooms and olives, I like all tomato products (except tomato soup) but am repulsed by tomatoes on their own. I could eat an onion like an apple though!

My mind is going in the direction of maybe a teaspoon of that pickle juice in a bottle of Cookies Western Smokehouse BBQ sauce...
For BBQ sauce my fav is Famous Dave's Devil's Spit. With pork chops have to add in the pickle chips too :) Great flavor and honestly not too hot IMO

6208153.jpg

45b2dc1f7805d175ca7a98146388c529.png

Last edited:
Fun little study about cilantro preferences - https://flavourjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/2044-7248-1-8

Edit: lol just saw you posted the exact same article.

It's funny that to some cilantro tastes like hand soap, I'm definitely a picky eater. Mostly refuse to eat fish, hate mushrooms and olives, I like all tomato products (except tomato soup) but am repulsed by tomatoes on their own. I could eat an onion like an apple though!
Have your tastes changed as you got older? mine definitely have.

I used to love bologna sandwiches as a kid but they don't appeal to me now.

Hated mushrooms as a kid but I could eat a pound of them fried up in some butter right now.

One thing that most people think is weird is that I don't care for fried chicken. I love chicken and I'll eat it a million different ways but not fried/broasted.

For BBQ sauce my fav is Famous Dave's Devil's Spit. With pork chops have to add in the pickle chips too :) Great flavor and honestly not too hot IMO

6208153.jpg
Devil's Spit is an easy top 5, but when it comes to BBQ sauce I tend to lean to sweet and/or smoky and less to the vinegary side. I do like it though, it's hot enough to stick around for five or ten minutes.

Have your tastes changed as you got older? mine definitely have.

I used to love bologna sandwiches as a kid but they don't appeal to me now.

Hated mushrooms as a kid but I could eat a pound of them fried up in some butter right now.

One thing that most people think is weird is that I don't care for fried chicken. I love chicken and I'll eat it a million different ways but not fried/broasted.
Yeah I don't do fried chicken either. They've changed a little bit, I hated baked beans as a kid but really like them now, that's really the only change I can think of!

where does BWW blazing rank on that list?

Where do you fall on this chart? What is your ranking, either what you enjoy or what you can possibly handle?
Personally, I enjoy a little heat but it has to have a nice taste to the sauce. I'm not one to eat a hot sauce to see if I can handle it or how much pain I can take. No thanks anymore. I like it to taste good and add to the food I'm putting it on, not take it over.

I'm probably in the 30,000-50,000 range where I would classify me. I still enjoy the taste but a little heat is there. I've seen other charts where the Habanero wasn't as high as below and just above the Cayenne a few peppers. I could prob do a Habanero and enjoy what I was eating on a good day. I don't think I've ever tried a Carolina Reaper yet so I know I haven't ventured that high. I don't think I've tried over a 30,000-50,000 yet.

Discuss.

ca6804c2cc90cfba9164bf77cadb6775.gif

Here are the common hot sauces typically found in supermarkets.

f03f1dd6-c126-4519-a071-28337b955b56_1.png

where does BWW blazing rank on that list?

How hot is the Blazin at Buffalo Wild Wings?
Buffalo Wild Wings' “Blazin'” sauce weighs in at around 300,000 Scoville units, making it about 60 times hotter than a jalapeno pepper, or about in line with some of the hottest liquefied habanero peppers available.Apr 25, 2011

They could easily be jalapeños. The ones I grow in my garden are ridiculously hot and they are usually never from the same source. The first year I grew them I thought, “There’s no way these are jalapeños.”

I’ve heard from multiple places that your run of the mill grocery store variety jalapeños have been selectively neutered to be like a fourth of the heat of a “wild” (if there is such a thing) or garden grown variety. My experience with store-bought jalapeños would agree.
I'm with you there. I was looking at the chart at the top of this thread and the Serranos are rated to low for sure. Most charts, and my experience, have them around 50K at the top end. The grocery store variety seem to very more than my home grown and are generally not as pungent. Cross pollination is a factor too. When I grow Habeneros even my Anaheims are pretty hot, to the point where my wife can't eat them. Normally those are "safe for women and children". There are some varieties of Serranos that are "fat" enough to be mistaken for Jalapenos. The way to tell them apart on the bush is that Jalapeno leaves are smooth and shiny and the Serrano leaves have a slight "fuzzy" texture to them.

I'm with you there. I was looking at the chart at the top of this thread and the Serranos are rated to low for sure. Most charts, and my experience, have them around 50K at the top end. The grocery store variety seem to very more than my home grown and are generally not as pungent. Cross pollination is a factor too. When I grow Habeneros even my Anaheims are pretty hot, to the point where my wife can't eat them. Normally those are "safe for women and children". There are some varieties of Serranos that are "fat" enough to be mistaken for Jalapenos. The way to tell them apart on the bush is that Jalapeno leaves are smooth and shiny and the Serrano leaves have a slight "fuzzy" texture to them.

Maybe that is what I ate when I was younger thinking it was a jalapeno. It was miserable. I can't image eating something with 500,000 or 1,000,000 scoville.

@Ree4 @hawkdrummer1 @MelroseHawkins @bitmap Have you guys seen the video about the guy who bred the Carolina Reaper? It's 11 minutes long but super fascinating.

Basically it's a guy who was into some sketchy business stuff early on in his life, had substance abuse issues, but is clean now. His replacement for the substance abuse was growing and hybridizing hot peppers as a hobby, and now he's turned it into his career.

Interestingly, he actually enjoys eating the peppers straight up. The guy takes Carolina Reapers, hottest peppers in the world, and eats them like candy. Says it replaces the adrenaline rush he used to get from his addictions. Very interesting, I was going to just link a certain part in the video where he eats these things, but the guy's story and the whole 11 minutes are fascinating.

Last edited:
@Ree4 @hawkdrummer1 @MelroseHawkins @bitmap Have you guys seen the video about the guy who bred the Carolina Reaper? It's 11 minutes long but super fascinating.

Basically it's a guy who was into some sketchy business stuff early on in his life, had a bunch of substance abuse issues, but is clean now. His replacement for the substance abuse was growing and hybridizing hot peppers as a hobby, and now he's turned it into his career.

Interestingly, he actually enjoys eating the peppers straight up. The guy takes Carolina Reapers, hottest peppers in the world, and eats them like candy. Says it replaces the adrenaline rush he used to get from his addictions. Very interesting, I was going to just link a certain part in the video where he eats these things, but the guy's story and the whole 11 minutes are fascinating.

That's nuts. I kind of do that now but am toned down on both the substance abuse and the heat. After my aforementioned scarred esophagus I have no interest in trying something like that. Glad he found a replacement though, looks like they aren't dangerous to consume - I had heard of holes in stomachs and ruptured esophaguses as risks of the reaper but it seems most experts say they are safe to consume - if you consider the side effects of shortness of breath, vomiting, and dehydration from excessive sweating to be safe :) Those 600 jalepenos look good, but with a shortage of TP right now, probably not a good idea.

Basically it's a guy who was into some sketchy business stuff early on in his life, had substance abuse issues, but is clean now. His replacement for the substance abuse was growing and hybridizing hot peppers as a hobby, and now he's turned it into his career.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing Fryiowa!

That's nuts. I kind of do that now but am toned down on both the substance abuse and the heat. After my aforementioned scarred esophagus I have no interest in trying something like that. Glad he found a replacement though, looks like they aren't dangerous to consume - I had heard of holes in stomachs and ruptured esophaguses as risks of the reaper but it seems most experts say they are safe to consume - if you consider the side effects of shortness of breath, vomiting, and dehydration from excessive sweating to be safe :) Those 600 jalepenos look good, but with a shortage of TP right now, probably not a good idea.
That guy should donate his body to science so they can study what his digestive tract looks like. Maybe it's no different and he just has a high pain tolerance.

One thing I think of, a lot of times you hear about people who get a pleasure rush from intense pain. I've never understood that; it doesn't have that effect on me. I mean if I stub my toe really bad, or get smacked in the melon really hard there's also a separate adrenaline rush that I can feel is distinctly different. I assume that's my body's reaction trying to get me through the pain spike.

But...I've never got any pleasure from it. And I've had some pretty painful shit happen to me. I had shoulder surgery a few years ago and when the PT was at it's most brutal there were definitely some times where I felt a head rush or buzz like I'd had 4 or 5 beers, but I didn't enjoy it. Everyone's different I guess.

I saw that and was going to watch it but hadn't yet. Thanks. Sounds interesting. Will watch.

That guy should donate his body to science so they can study what his digestive tract looks like. Maybe it's no different and he just has a high pain tolerance.

One thing I think of, a lot of times you hear about people who get a pleasure rush from intense pain. I've never understood that; it doesn't have that effect on me. I mean if I stub my toe really bad, or get smacked in the melon really hard there's also a separate adrenaline rush that I can feel is distinctly different. I assume that's my body's reaction trying to get me through the pain spike.

But...I've never got any pleasure from it. And I've had some pretty painful shit happen to me. I had shoulder surgery a few years ago and when the PT was at it's most brutal there were definitely some times where I felt a head rush or buzz like I'd had 4 or 5 beers, but I didn't enjoy it. Everyone's different I guess.

Some guys on "Hot Ones" report getting a certain rush or high when up in the higher scoville range. I can imagine it is your body trying to protect you.

Yes - I am amazed that capsaicin isn't a controlled substance. I get some mild sense of euphoria after eating hot peppers. I just made up a batch of salsa w/ some Jalapenos I had in my fridge. Powered it all down for lunch on some tortilla chips. I now feel great!

Some guys on "Hot Ones" report getting a certain rush or high when up in the higher scoville range. I can imagine it is your body trying to protect you.
The theory is your body releases endorphins because it "thinks" you are being burned. I subscribe to that theory because I feel pretty good after eating hot peppers. I also think, like some drugs, that you build up a tolerance to capsaicin. If I haven't had any spicy hot food for a while and then get something it seems to hotter than usual. If I am on a pepper binge then I can go hotter than normal.

Latest posts