OT: TV Streaming (Hulu)

EstronHawkKing

For those of you you stream Hulu on your smart tv's, I have a few questions. I see the $5.99 & $11.99 plans are the same thing except the $11.99 has no commercials. What exactly do you get with those plans being that they are the same exact plan, is it just a library of old movies and past tv shows like Cheers & MASH? Do you get any networks like NBC, ESPN, TBS, FOX News, TNT, BIG 10 Network, CNN ect? I'd like to have current shows and tv sitcoms like Young Sheldon and Last Man Standing along with live sporting events if I turn on Hulu.

The Hulu web site only shows you what you get if you buy their largest plan at like $55 something dollars. I'm not buying the $11.99 plan unless I know what comes with it.

At least the Sling TV web site has their three plans and it shows you every channel you will get. with each plan and cost. But, for some reason I get the feeling Hulu is only a library of old tv shows and movies, no real networks that you would get with a cable provider.

Thanks for any info on this

Hulu is basically Netflix. You get movies, tv series, and original shows. Hulu Live is the cable streaming service where you get live tv.

Hulu is basically Netflix. You get movies, tv series, and original shows. Hulu Live is the cable streaming service where you get live tv.
Thanks, that's what I thought, and the Hulu Live is like $50 a month. I can go with the Blue & Orange plans with Sling and get live tv shows for $20 the first month but goes up to $45 per month, but it has what I want except the Big 10 Network

This streaming tv thing is confusing.

Last edited:
I don’t have Hulu, but recently cut the cord myself. After doing a lot of research I went with YouTubetv and am glad I did. $49 per month with no contract. I use a smart tv in family room and firestick in other rooms. Can use it on up to 3 TVs and has great live tv including BTN, ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 plus any other sports channel Iowa games would be on. Plus it has an easy and great interface. Sorry it wasn’t about Hulu but worth looking into in my opinion.

I don’t have Hulu, but recently cut the cord myself. After doing a lot of research I went with YouTubetv and am glad I did. $49 per month with no contract. I use a smart tv in family room and firestick in other rooms. Can use it on up to 3 TVs and has great live tv including BTN, ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 plus any other sports channel Iowa games would be on. Plus it has an easy and great interface. Sorry it wasn’t about Hulu but worth looking into in my opinion.
My internet and cable combined is $135 a month. Once I get rid of cable, I will be saving about $35 - $40 a month (most of the channels I get with my cable provider, I don't even watch) I may go Youtube, sounds the same as the Sling plan I am looking at, but Youtube has the Big 10 Network. Only thing about the Big 10 Network is that I only watch it from September - March for football/basketball. You get a lot of Iowa hoops games with them and would be hard not to have next year.

Last edited:
Also, does anyone know if internet with 30Mb download speed and 3Mb upload speed will be strong enough to stream Sling or Youtube on a smart tv?

Mediacom has internet for $19.99 for one year, then goes up to $30 after that. Also you have to pay a $100 install fee. I just wonder if this $19.99 is strong enough to stream tv? It says it can download speeds 60 Mbps up to 1GIG

Last edited:
Yeah same. Directv raised my bill and wouldn’t budge so I told them to pound sand. My internet and YouTubetv costs less combined than Directv did by itself. It has all the tv channels I actually watched on Directv anyways plus has descent movies, win win in my opinion.

We have Youtube as well and love it, but it doesn't have the History Channel. I wish there was some way I could just pay for that channel instead of switching to Hulu. Like you said, Youtube has a very user friendly interface.

We have Youtube as well and love it, but it doesn't have the History Channel. I wish there was some way I could just pay for that channel instead of switching to Hulu. Like you said, Youtube has a very user friendly interface.
You know, the local library has books about history:p

A lot of people get Philo to get a few extra channels that YoutubeTV doesn't offer. It has the History Channel, BET, Comedy Channel, Hallmark, Game Show Network, 3 Nickelodeon Channels, Lifetime, BBC America, 3 MTV channels, BET, Sundance, and VH1. I don't think any of those are one Youtube TV, and it only costs $20 a month, and streams on devices just like YouTubeTV or Hulu, etc. https://try.philo.com/?utm_source=g...MI0uSAz7nJ5wIVGpSzCh0gYQ-AEAAYASAAEgK3s_D_BwE

For my wife and I the little that we would watch those channels, that isn't worth the $20 a month, but if you would watch of a couple of those channel, it would be worth it getting those for $20 a month.

A lot of people get Philo to get a few extra channels that YoutubeTV doesn't offer. It has the History Channel, BET, Comedy Channel, Hallmark, Game Show Network, 3 Nickelodeon Channels, Lifetime, BBC America, 3 MTV channels, BET, Sundance, and VH1. I don't think any of those are one Youtube TV, and it only costs $20 a month, and streams on devices just like YouTubeTV or Hulu, etc. https://try.philo.com/?utm_source=g...MI0uSAz7nJ5wIVGpSzCh0gYQ-AEAAYASAAEgK3s_D_BwE

For my wife and I the little that we would watch those channels, that isn't worth the $20 a month, but if you would watch of a couple of those channel, it would be worth it getting those for $20 a month.
Never heard of Philo until now, I just looked at their web site. Most of those channels they have I wouldn't be interested in, plus no live channels.

Never heard of Philo until now, I just looked at their web site. Most of those channels they have I wouldn't be interested in, plus no live channels.

I wasn't really responding to you, as YoutubeTV is the way to go. @tksirius mentioned he wanted the History Channel, and I told him some people add on Philo to their YoutubeTV to get some more channels they may want.

Anyone know if Philo has the option to watch shows on demand after they come out? We rarely watch stuff live.

Also, with streaming, is it a pain in the ass to flip back and forth between 2 different games? Like with the previous channel button you can use with dish? I messed with it a bit during a free trial and it took forever having to back out of one game, find the other, then wait for it to load. Seems like it's at least 15 seconds as opposed to less than 1 second with dish.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. :)

Anyone know if Philo has the option to watch shows on demand after they come out? We rarely watch stuff live.

Also, with streaming, is it a pain in the ass to flip back and forth between 2 different games? Like with the previous channel button you can use with dish? I messed with it a bit during a free trial and it took forever having to back out of one game, find the other, then wait for it to load. Seems like it's at least 15 seconds as opposed to less than 1 second with dish.

YoutubeTV switching is easy. You just take your remote and push the down button, that pulls up the last like 8 channels that you watched. You can then select the one you want and hit enter. So it isn't as convenient as just pushing a last channel button (requires a couple button pushes), but it is nice that you can flip between 3 games easier.

YoutubeTV switching is easy. You just take your remote and push the down button, that pulls up the last like 8 channels that you watched. You can then select the one you want and hit enter. So it isn't as convenient as just pushing a last channel button (requires a couple button pushes), but it is nice that you can flip between 3 games easier.
Is there a max amount of tvs you can have going at once?