OT: Monson's press conf talks about Alford

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
Watching this running NCAA coverage on ESPNU, Dan Monson was on.

He was talking about the relationship with Alford - both were at mid-majors before leaping to Power 6 schools then both leaving to go back to mid-majors. Their families are close and they are good friends. What caught be surprise is talked about how the two talked all the time when Monson was at MN and Alford was at Iowa - how they talked about the troubles they were having and that misery loves company.

After the presser, ESPN went back to the studio and they too picked up the misery loves company and talk about how both coaches did not get it done at their previous schools.

For me, I find it odd that national media see Alford at Iowa in such different light - some (i.e. - Seth Davis) think that Alford did a terrific job, while some (i.e. - ESPN) think he did not do a good job at Iowa. I know how Iowa fans feel about him. Just interesting to hear the side from Monson.

Makes interesting conversation for some. But for me, I've put that whole era to bed. Lickliter era as well. I mean how long are we gonna look in the rearview mirror? What's next? Why was Raveling treated so poorly and who's to blame for it?

We've got a real gem of a coach who is turning heads around the conference. He's got a fantastic group of recruits coming in. People all around the state are excited about Hawkeye basketball. I want to talk about the future.

The past is in the past.

Alford came in with a lot of bravado and most/all ate it up. After a while his substantial ego/bravado without matching success wore on people. I knew Seth is/was a huge Alford supporter, but I never heard or gave much thought to how others viewed his time here.

Do you think lute would have stayed if carver was designed differently or we kept games in the field house?

Watching this running NCAA coverage on ESPNU, Dan Monson was on.

He was talking about the relationship with Alford - both were at mid-majors before leaping to Power 6 schools then both leaving to go back to mid-majors. Their families are close and they are good friends. What caught be surprise is talked about how the two talked all the time when Monson was at MN and Alford was at Iowa - how they talked about the troubles they were having and that misery loves company.

After the presser, ESPN went back to the studio and they too picked up the misery loves company and talk about how both coaches did not get it done at their previous schools.

For me, I find it odd that national media see Alford at Iowa in such different light - some (i.e. - Seth Davis) think that Alford did a terrific job, while some (i.e. - ESPN) think he did not do a good job at Iowa. I know how Iowa fans feel about him. Just interesting to hear the side from Monson.

lol wut? :D

So basically Alford and Monson were victims of the Peter Principle.

Have to say I liked watching Dan's Zag teams - esp. the one that made it to the elite 8.

Do you think lute would have stayed if carver was designed differently or we kept games in the field house?

It's my understanding that Lute's wife really didn't like the cold, Lute either. I don't think he had any particular problem with the University, but I just don't know about that. I didn't even remember that he was associated with Carver/Hawkeye, he didn't like the design of it? News to me.

Latest posts