OT: Iowa High School baseball is back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if there are more people like me that are just craving live sports. Normally I'd go to my sons game and then leave, now I'm staying for the whole thing because I've been craving baseball.

Oh and F the billionaire owners and the millionaire players who are fighting over money in MLB. I figured this was a good excuse to slip that in there.

Do the baseball owners and players actually realize how much they are on thin ice with fans. To me, they have to do everything they can to work out something as a stoppage would be very detrimental to them. Fans are losing interest and patience and it's getting more difficult to watching it on TV. I think more that people's attention spans have lessened over the years.

I wonder if there are more people like me that are just craving live sports.

I'm actually not craving it for some reason and it's kind of weirding me out to be honest. This spring and summer I've found so many other things to mess around with that I've actually forgotten about sports not taking place. That'll probably change once fall gets here, but I've cancelled YouTube TV, and I'm not 100% sure I'll resume it once football does start. Maybe take a year and listen to Dolph and Eddie casually. Who knows...

This COVID related mess is really the only reason to have summer baseball. Fall ball in the north and spring in the south are better time slots in all cases. I played K-college, coached, and umpired for the last 34 years in Iowa so of all people I'm not biased towards summer ball.

Actually I just now realized that this will be the first year since I was 4 years old that I haven't been involved in baseball other than youth practices. My kid is a junior high student (no school ball allowed in Iowa for middle school), and I gave up all my umpiring contracts because of the uncertainty of scheduling once COVID hit.

I honestly don't know if I'll go back. It's fun and very rewarding more often than not, but several times a year the following happens...

Leave straight from work, drive an hour one way, try to find my partner that I've never met, get dressed for the bases because my partner hasn't shown up yet and that way I'm the nice guy by working the varsity plate (which no one wants), Then he gets there 5 minutes before first pitch and says he "thought he brought his cup but must have left it at home," so then you have to change and work two plates in a row. Strip to your underwear again (now there are tons of people around), and put on different pants, shoes, shirt and hat (all different for the plate), bags, mask, hope you remembered your cup and indicator, all of it in 107* heat index. Then Karen (you guys know Karen...it's Brayden or Kayden or Tayden or Hayden's mom...) tells you after her kid goes down looking that the pitch bounced in the dirt and you suck, and then you hear her tell Felicia how the umps last night were way better. By that time the sweat's in your eyes, you've inhaled gnats, and whatever school you're working for allows one free mini Powerade per night from concessions. Then @99topdawg comes out of the dugout and says, "Sir, that pitch was UP HERE! How are my guys supposed to deal with that, sir??" and motioning that the strike you just called was chin level. Yeah, I don't miss that part. Sitting on my deck grilling steaks sounds better every year. :)

Lol. You delivered!

The ump behind the plate yesterday at our boy's 13U game in Waterloo was absolutely great. Sensible strike zone and consistently called to both teams both the games our team played. Both pitchers and hitters knew what to expect. After the whole tournament was over I let him know I thought he called a great game(s). You could tell he appreciated my observation. He was so consistent. He was rather young, in his 30's I would guess and in my eyes could have quite a future if pursued. He was terrific. Never heard one fan or coach bitch at a call which never happens.

You're right. I phrased it wrong. It's fine with the people at the games. I'm not saying I agree with them. I didn't think they should have had the season in the first place, and now 6 teams have cancelled or postponed their seasons. I think the state needed money that they didn't get from state track, soccer, etc to pay their own salaries.
I heard it straight from the mouth of an IAHSAA employee who'll remain nameless that if baseball and football didn't take place they'd be facing layoffs, and I do know that they're bare-bones staff to begin with. If the IAHSAA has to start making cuts you're going to see the quality of HS sports administration/organization/governance nosedive. It will not be a good thing for Iowa kids.

After the whole tournament was over I let him know I thought he called a great game(s).
Keep doing that. Seriously.

Thank yous from the crowd and comments like that erase a lot of the Karens and washed up dads being douches.

Making officiating bearable is the only way to get people to stay in the game.

I keep track of hours from the time I leave for the game to the moment I step in the door at home in a spreadsheet, as well as any expenses such as gas, a couple hundred bucks a year on average for clothing/equipment/registration fees, etc. Last year it came out right around $11.50 an hour. There are a lot of part time jobs I could get for more money and no dickhead parents.

Keep doing that. Seriously.

Thank yous from the crowd and comments like that erase a lot of the Karens and washed up dads being douches.

Making officiating bearable is the only way to get people to stay in the game.

I keep track of hours from the time I leave for the game to the moment I step in the door at home in a spreadsheet, as well as any expenses such as gas, a couple hundred bucks a year on average for clothing/equipment/registration fees, etc. Last year it came out right around $11.50 an hour. There are a lot of part time jobs I could get for more money and no dickhead parents.

Yes! Keep praising the refs whenever possible. I yelled a "good job blue" when they walked by at the end of the game and they both looked appreciative and said "thanks". Even when I don't think they did a great job I still, at least, try to say "thanks". I've officiated many games at the youth level and there were times I walked off feeling like crap because I felt I missed a call or 2, so those "thanks" and "good job" were always appreciated.

This COVID related mess is really the only reason to have summer baseball. Fall ball in the north and spring in the south are better time slots in all cases. I played K-college, coached, and umpired for the last 34 years in Iowa so of all people I'm not biased towards summer ball.

Actually I just now realized that this will be the first year since I was 4 years old that I haven't been involved in baseball other than youth practices. My kid is a junior high student (no school ball allowed in Iowa for middle school), and I gave up all my umpiring contracts because of the uncertainty of scheduling once COVID hit.

I honestly don't know if I'll go back. It's fun and very rewarding more often than not, but several times a year the following happens...

Leave straight from work, drive an hour one way, try to find my partner that I've never met, get dressed for the bases because my partner hasn't shown up yet and that way I'm the nice guy by working the varsity plate (which no one wants), Then he gets there 5 minutes before first pitch and says he "thought he brought his cup but must have left it at home," so then you have to change and work two plates in a row. Strip to your underwear again (now there are tons of people around), and put on different pants, shoes, shirt and hat (all different for the plate), bags, mask, hope you remembered your cup and indicator, all of it in 107* heat index. Then Karen (you guys know Karen...it's Brayden or Kayden or Tayden or Hayden's mom...) tells you after her kid goes down looking that the pitch bounced in the dirt and you suck, and then you hear her tell Felicia how the umps last night were way better. By that time the sweat's in your eyes, you're inhaling gnats right around every 3 minutes, and whatever school you're working for allows one free mini Powerade per night from concessions. Then @99topdawg comes out of the dugout and says, "Sir, that pitch was UP HERE! How are my guys supposed to deal with that, sir??" and motioning that the strike you just called was chin level. Yeah, I don't miss that part. Sitting on my deck grilling steaks sounds better every year. :)
Unless there's an insurance or medical related rule that prohibits it, I think next time your partner can work the plate without a cup.

One incident and I guarantee he will never forget it again. But back to back plate jobs is beyond grueling.

As for concessions, umpires and any other game officials should get carte blanche. I have worked many a concession stand the past twenty years and have always let officials slide on concessions. Our athletic director always provides football officials with bottled water at halftime and at the end of the game.

This reminds me of an unrelated concession story. When my oldest was a sophomore on the football team we had to travel all the way to Whitehall, Wisconsin for a first round playoff game. Whitehall is fifty miles north of LaCrosse and about three hours north of Cuba City.

Well, if you have to travel that far you better make it worth your while by winning. Which we did convincingly. Best part of it for the players was when Whitehall loaded up the players bus with all their unused concessions. Our players may have come home tired but not hungry. They were feasting on burgers, hot dogs, brats and pizza all the way home.

Last edited:
Unless there's an insurance or medical related rule that prohibits it, I think next time your partner can work the plate without a cup.

One incident and I guarantee he will never forget it again. But back to back plate jobs is beyond grueling.

As for concessions, umpires and any other game officials should get carte blanche. I have worked many a concession stand the past twenty years and have always let officials slide on concessions. Our athletic director always provides football officials with bottled water at halftime and at the end of the game.

This reminds me of an unrelated concession story. When my oldest was a sophomore on the football team we had to travel all the way to Whitehall, Wisconsin for a first round playoff game. Whitehall is fifty miles north of LaCrosse and about three hours north of Cuba City.

Well, if you have to travel that far you better make it worth your while by winning. Which we did convincingly. Best part of it for the players was when Whitehall loaded up the players bus with all their unused concessions. Our players may have come home tired but not hungry. They were feasting on burgers, hot dogs, brats and pizza all the way home.
The cup isn’t actually required. I’d never work a plate without a cup, which is why I always have a spare in my vehicle. After seeing what Yadier Molina went through with surgeries etc it’s just not worth it. If I somehow showed up without one and my partner wouldn’t work two plates I’d walk away. That’s how strongly I feel about it, but it’s also why I’m so hardcore about never forgetting it.

And I get it that sometimes people can forget shit, if it was a buddy of mine or a guy I knew well it’d be no big deal at all because I know he’d return the favor at some point. It’s the random umps you’ve never met from some other part of the state who hop out of their car first thing and give you some bullshit story about how they forgot their cup, or “my knee is killing me today,” or some other dumb thing before they even introduce themselves. Those guys just want the money and run and you usually don’t see them more than once.

My record number of plates in one day is five, and it actually happened last year.

I had the day off so I took a 7th/8th middle school double in the morning at George-Little Rock (easy money), and my partner was some idiot high school kid who showed up in shorts and a tank top and had no business being on a ball field.

Later on that night I had a JV/V double header in Rock Valley vs Sioux Center. I got home from the shit show in Little Rock and my assignor called to ask if I could do the freshman game in RV as well. No problem l, had the day off anyway and it was $75. My partner was a guy I know well, a really good veteran ump who’s a great guy, but he had just had a cyst removed on the side of his chin and couldn’t wear a mask. So I did the freshman, JV, and varsity plate. No hard feelings whatsoever because he had long ago earned his stripes. To make it even goofier the varsity game went 12 innings (this is verifiable, it’s on the Iowa stats website). So I did 34 innings behind the plate in one day.

7th - 5
8th - 5
Fresh - 5
JV - 7
V - 12

Side note since you mentioned concessions, BH/RV is amazing how they treat umpires. It was hot as shit out and my partner and I had ice cold bottles of Powerade thrown at us like they were going out of style. Their varsity coach told us flat out to tell the bat boy if we needed anything and sure enough they sent a concessions kid out about every two innings with a couple bottles. It was one of those hot days where you could drink gallons of liquid and never have to take a leak because you’re sweating it out.

MOC/FV is another school that treats officials like kings. Again, unlimited Powerade and between games you get whatever food/drink you want for free.

Trinity Christian in Hull also does a good job, drinks on the house. You have to pay for food, but every time I’ve been there they have something homemade like pulled pork or burgers that you can tell were hand pattied and not some frozen crap. You appreciate that shit because stale pizza and “concession nachos” get old real quick. If somebody’s selling a pulled pork sandwich with fries and a drink for $4 between JV and varsity as the sun goes down, take my friggin money and keep the dollar change. It’s the little things...

Sorry for the novel, I started typing and it just happened.

Last edited:
The cup isn’t actually required. I’d never work a plate without a cup, which is why I always have a spare in my vehicle. After seeing what Yadier Molina went through with surgeries etc it’s just not worth it. If I somehow showed up without one and my partner wouldn’t work two plates I’d walk away. That’s how strongly I feel about it, but it’s also why I’m so hardcore about never forgetting it.

And I get it that sometimes people can forget shit, if it was a buddy of mine or a guy I knew well it’d be no big deal at all because I know he’d return the favor at some point. It’s the random umps you’ve never met from some other part of the state who hop out of their car first thing and give you some bullshit story about how they forgot their cup, or “my knee is killing me today,” or some other dumb thing before they even introduce themselves. Those guys just want the money and run and you usually don’t see them more than once.

My record number of plates in one day is five, and it actually happened last year.

I had the day off so I took a 7th/8th middle school double in the morning at George-Little Rock (easy money), and my partner was some idiot high school kid who showed up in shorts and a tank top and had no business being on a ball field.

Later on that night I had a JV/V double header in Rock Valley vs Sioux Center. I got home from the shit show in Little Rock and my assignor called to ask if I could do the freshman game in RV as well. No problem l, had the day off anyway and it was $75. My partner was a guy I know well, a really good veteran ump who’s a great guy, but he had just had a cyst removed on the side of his chin and couldn’t wear a mask. So I did the freshman, JV, and varsity plate. No hard feelings whatsoever because he had long ago earned his stripes. To make it even goofier the varsity game went 12 innings (this is verifiable, it’s on the Iowa stats website). So I did 34 innings behind the plate in one day.

7th - 5
8th - 5
Fresh - 5
JV - 7
V - 12

Side note since you mentioned concessions, BH/RV is amazing how they treat umpires. It was hot as shit out and my partner and I had ice cold bottles of Powerade thrown at us like they were going out of style. Their varsity coach told us flat out to tell the bat boy if we needed anything and sure enough they sent a concessions kid out about every two innings with a couple bottles. It was one of those hot days where you could drink gallons of liquid and never have to take a leak because you’re sweating it out.

MOC/FV is another school that treats officials like kings. Again, unlimited Powerade and between games you get whatever food/drink you want for free.

Trinity Christian in Hull also does a good job, drinks on the house. You have to pay for food, but every time I’ve been there they have something homemade like pulled pork or burgers that you can tell were hand pattied and not some frozen crap. You appreciate that shit because stale pizza and “concession nachos” get old real quick. If somebody’s selling a pulled pork sandwich with fries and a drink for $4 between JV and varsity as the sun goes down, take my friggin money and keep the dollar change. It’s the little things...

Keep typing away. These stories are all interesting and take many of us who don't umpire to a better understanding. I enjoy these ole' stories.

I have not even heard of Gehlen, in any sport. They don't make state showings too often, huh?
They used to be really good like a lot of the private Catholic schools in Iowa, but they’ve fallen off.

In NW Iowa you had Spaulding Catholic, Remsen St. Mary’s, and Gehlen Catholic who were always good, Spaulding especially.

Now Spaulding doesn’t exist, RSM is just a little above average, and Gehlen sucks. Kind of a shame too because Spaulding had a long baseball history (it was their only sport) and the nicest field in NW Iowa. They used to be feared and now the field just sits there.

Last edited:
They used to be really good like a lot of the private Catholic schools in Iowa, but they’ve fallen off.

In NW Iowa you had Spaulding Catholic, Remsen St. Mary’s, and Gehlen Catholic who we’re always good, Spaulding especially.

Now Spaulding doesn’t exist, RSM is just a little above average, and Gehlen sucks. Kind of a shame too because Spaulding had a long baseball history (it was their only sport) and the nicest field in NW Iowa. They used to be feared and now the field just sits there.

Never heard of Spaulding Catholic. As you can tell, I've always been in eastern Iowa. I have heard of Remsen. When did Spaulding hang it up?

Never heard of Spaulding Catholic. As you can tell, I've always been in eastern Iowa. I have heard of Remsen. When did Spaulding hang it up?
The high school closed in 2013, middle school was a couple years after that, and the only thing open now is K-6th in Alton. Spaulding "officially" merged with Gehlen, but there were a lot of families that went to RSM too. That's part of why Gehlen sucks now is because most of the

Their baseball program was pretty legendary.They won the fall state baseball league three times in the 70s, and they won the regular state title five times from the 70s through early 2000s and had a bunch of runner ups. I believe in '74 or '75 they won both the fall league and regular state tournament in the same year. They were kind of the Lansing Kee of this part of the state.

NW Iowa is kind of funny how it was settled in the 1800s. The LeMars/Granville/Marcus/Remsen area is very heavily Catholic, and within about a 40 mile radius there were at least six different Catholic school districts that I can think of off the top of my head (probably more). Then immediately north of there you get into the Orange City/Hull/Sioux Center/Rock Valley area which is very, very heavily Dutch Reformed and ultra conservative. When you hear news stories about NW Iowa being the most heavily concentrated conservative area in the country, those Dutch Reformers are what they're talking about. Over the years (unlike Catholics) you have several different sects of Reformers who have split off into different churches. There's First Reformed, Reformed Church In America, Christian Reformed Church, Netherlands Reformed, Protestant Reformed, and a whole bunch of others. The splits are all related to doctrine. It ranges from Netherlands reformers who are just a half notch this side of being Amish, all the way to churches that have bands. Accordingly they started their own schools, such as Hull Western Christian, Unity Christian in Orange City, and Trinity Christian also in Hull. Trinity started a few years ago when there was a fight in the church and a whole bunch of millionaire farmers said "F you, we're gonna start our own church and school." NW Iowa farm ground is the most valuable in the country and there is serious, SERIOUS money up here. 640 acres in a section, prices per acre are around $10,500 and even higher in spots...you can do the math. Trinity however does have a soft spot in my heart because their baseball field doesn't have lights. They start their games an hour earlier than everyone else and I'm home by 8:30 if I umpire there.

Basically if you visit this place or move here as an adult it's like being dropped onto Mars. Super culty feel in Hull/OC/Sioux Center, but I do live in a town where the brainwashers aren't quite so heavy. The other thing is that a guy like me who came from a German family that was Lutheran all the way back, I'm kind of like Ray Liotta in Goodfellas. I'm not part of the direct lineage so I can never be "made" as a true member of the family and thus I don't get pressured to toe the Dutch line. I have had multiple people pull in my driveway on Sundays to tell me not to mow my lawn, though. Oh, and the Subway in Hull isn't open on Sunday. Bet you never heard of that, huh?

The high school closed in 2013, middle school was a couple years after that, and the only thing open now is K-6th in Alton. Spaulding "officially" merged with Gehlen, but there were a lot of families that went to RSM too. That's part of why Gehlen sucks now is because most of the

Their baseball program was pretty legendary.They won the fall state baseball league three times in the 70s, and they won the regular state title five times from the 70s through early 2000s and had a bunch of runner ups. I believe in '74 or '75 they won both the fall league and regular state tournament in the same year. They were kind of the Lansing Kee of this part of the state.

NW Iowa is kind of funny how it was settled in the 1800s. The LeMars/Granville/Marcus/Remsen area is very heavily Catholic, and within about a 40 mile radius there were at least six different Catholic school districts that I can think of off the top of my head (probably more). Then immediately north of there you get into the Orange City/Hull/Sioux Center/Rock Valley area which is very, very heavily Dutch Reformed and ultra conservative. When you hear news stories about NW Iowa being the most heavily concentrated conservative area in the country, those Dutch Reformers are what they're talking about. Over the years (unlike Catholics) you have several different sects of Reformers who have split off into different churches. There's First Reformed, Reformed Church In America, Christian Reformed Church, Netherlands Reformed, Protestant Reformed, and a whole bunch of others. The splits are all related to doctrine. It ranges from Netherlands reformers who are just a half notch this side of being Amish, all the way to churches that have bands. Accordingly they started their own schools, such as Hull Western Christian, Unity Christian in Orange City, and Trinity Christian also in Hull. Trinity started a few years ago when there was a fight in the church and a whole bunch of millionaire farmers said "F you, we're gonna start our own church and school." NW Iowa farm ground is the most valuable in the country and there is serious, SERIOUS money up here. 640 acres in a section, prices per acre are around $10,500 and even higher in spots...you can do the math. Trinity however does have a soft spot in my heart because their baseball field doesn't have lights. They start their games an hour earlier than everyone else and I'm home by 8:30 if I umpire there.

Basically if you visit this place or move here as an adult it's like being dropped onto Mars. Super culty feel in Hull/OC/Sioux Center, but I do live in a town where the brainwashers aren't quite so heavy. The other thing is that a guy like me who came from a German family that was Lutheran all the way back, I'm kind of like Ray Liotta in Goodfellas. I'm not part of the direct lineage so I can never be "made" as a true member of the family and thus I don't get pressured to toe the Dutch line. I have had multiple people pull in my driveway on Sundays to tell me not to mow my lawn, though. Oh, and the Subway in Hull isn't open on Sunday. Bet you never heard of that, huh?

My wife's college roommate and probably best friend was from Sioux Center I believe. Yep, her last name starts with a V and she grew up in a pretty strict home and religion. The first part of her last name is Vander........No alcohol in the house. No working on Sunday's, etc..

Ironically after college she ended up working for Sam Adams for years. When she started she was afraid of what her parents were going to say.

Have you done a game with Blaine Harpenau pitching for Remsen St. Mary's? That kids is one of the best I've seen in person at a 1A school since I saw Wordekemper for Storm Lake St. Mary's in 2002. Kid's unreal.
No but I did a couple with Dekkers last year. That kid's terrifying because he bumps into the 90s without total control of it. I don't get nervous very often but I did with him. I could tell his catcher was pretty stressed.

From what I've heard of Harpenau he's got stuff though, whereas Dekkers just has a fastball that 99.99% of high school kids can't get around on and that's about it. Harpenau sounds like a guy that can actually work good batters. He's not very big either, is he?

7th - 5
8th - 5
Fresh - 5
JV - 7
V - 12

I was a catcher for 15 yrs, umpired for 7, NEVER a game without a cup lol

Status
Not open for further replies.