OT: General Smoked Meat and Food Thread

MelroseHawkins

Ok. I thought I'd start a thread to get our mind off of the COVID virus. Anybody practicing or trying any tailgating recipes?

I going to do a challenge today. I'm going to smoke a pork butt but attempting to do it on an infra-red grill with a smoke box.

Anybody have any favorite recipe recommendation or technique? Carry on.

I've used a Char-Broil Tru-Infrared grill for years and like it a lot. When I smoke meat I just put chips in the infrared drum and cook at the lowest setting possible on the burners. Depending on the amount of meat may just use one or two burners, other times all three. Not a true smoker but I do get a nice smoky taste, particularly with salmon on a cedar plank.

I've ordered a Traeger to do true smoking and am looking forward to trying it out. Have tasted tri-tips done on Traeger's. Excellent.

I've used a Char-Broil Tru-Infrared grill for years and like it a lot. When I smoke meat I just put chips in the infrared drum and cook at the lowest setting possible on the burners. Depending on the amount of meat may just use one or two burners, other times all three. Not a true smoker but I do get a nice smoky taste, particularly with salmon on a cedar plank.

I've ordered a Traeger to do true smoking and am looking forward to trying it out. Have tasted tri-tips done on Traeger's. Excellent.

That's my grill, the Char-broil. Had for couple years. Hated it at first. There is a true learning curve to cooking with it but used to it now. I have the smaller one with two vertical burners. I just use the one side and have the meat offset. I can get it down to 250-275 no problem with the one burner which is perfect. If under 250 the wood doesn't really smoke so is a good indicator. Right at the time I see smoke is about 250 or bit higher.

Last year I bought the Blackstone outdoor griddle but wish I would have just gotten a Traeger or Green Mountain. I debated and thought cooking on the griddle would be fun. I might try to sell my entire set-up. I only used it a handful of times. I have the two burner griddle, cover, accessories. The entire package. It's a turn key for someone.

That's my grill, the Char-broil. Had for couple years. Hated it at first. There is a true learning curve to cooking with it but used to it now. I have the smaller one with two vertical burners. I just use the one side and have the meat offset. I can get it down to 250-275 no problem with the one burner which is perfect. If under 250 the wood doesn't really smoke so is a good indicator. Right at the time I see smoke is about 250 or bit higher.

Last year I bought the Blackstone outdoor griddle but wish I would have just gotten a Traeger or Green Mountain. I debated and thought cooking on the griddle would be fun. I might try to sell my entire set-up. I only used it a handful of times. I have the two burner griddle, cover, accessories. The entire package. It's a turn key for someone.

There is a learning curve from a charcoal grill or regular propane grill. But I like how the infrared seems to do a better job of cooking the meat thoroughly while keeping it juicy and no flame-ups (well not if you occasionally scrape out the drum to get rid of old drippings, which I've discovered the hard way.) I've gone through three of the infrared drums, pretty soon will need to order a fourth. The wife asked whether we could get rid of the Char-Broil when the Traeger comes. Told her we need to wait to see. I don't know whether the Traeger can be used as a regular grill. Not sure it can.

I bought a Pit Boss a couple years ago, a bit less expensive than a Traeger and really happy with it. Have saved a fortune no longer going out every Friday night when the food at home is now better. I use it for everything and haven't used my gas grill since. No flare ups ever. Highly recommend a pellet smoker.

Here is an awesome Whole Smoked Chicken receipe.

Brine overnight in 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 gallon water. Set smoker at 225. Remove chicken from brine and pat dry. Rub with minced garlic and Traeger Big Game Rub (or spices of choice). Stuff cavity with sliced up lemon, onion, 3 whole garlic cloves, and 4 or 5 sprigs thyme. Tie legs together and place directly on grate. Cook until internal temp of 160 ( 3 - 4 hours). Let rest at least 15 minutes. The best and juiciest chicken you have ever eaten.

Traegers website has a ton of receipes.

Last edited:
I bought a Pit Boss a couple years ago, a bit less expensive than a Traeger and really happy with it. Have saved a fortune no longer going out every Friday night when the food at home is now better. I use it for everything and haven't used my gas grill since. No flare ups ever. Highly recommend a pellet smoker.

Here is an awesome Whole Smoked Chicken receipe.

Brine overnight in 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup brown sugar and 1 gallon water. Set smoker at 225. Remove chicken from brine and pat dry. Rub with minced garlic and Traeger Big Game Rub (or spices of choice). Stuff cavity with sliced up lemon, onion, 3 whole garlic cloves, and 4 or 5 sprigs thyme. Tie legs together and place directly on grate. Cook until internal temp of 160 ( 3 - 4 hours). Let rest at least 15 minutes. The best and juiciest chicken you have ever eaten.

Traegers website has a ton of receipes.

Yes, I most likely would end up with something like the Pit Boss, if not that brand. I think our commissioner for our FF league has a Pit Boss and is happy with it. I'm definitely going to get a pellet grill at some point.

Oh, and thanks for the recipe. Sounds good!

I use my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker grill and always get good results. Had a Charbroil smoker but the Weber performs better. I have done brisket, chicken, pork shoulder and butt and ribs-lots of ribs......

For ribs, I generally use a version of the Memphis dry rub and smoke about 4 hrs at about 250 degrees. I use 50% charcoal as a base and put 50% soaked hardwood on top of the charcoal, usually apple or cherry wood. However, instead of putting just water in the water pan, I mix half water and half apple or cherry juice (depending on what wood I use). I think it adds a slightly sweet flavor to the bark, and it sure smells good when its smoking.

Then I finish by slopping on my wet bbg sauce (I have my own version I make, but you can mix a good bbq sauce 75% with about 25% italian dressing) then, wrapping the ribs in foil and cooking on my gas grill, not very long, just enough to slightly caramelize the wet rub.

Lot of work, but my ribs are as good as any ribs I have eaten in restaurants..................

I use my Weber Smokey Mountain smoker grill and always get good results. Had a Charbroil smoker but the Weber performs better. I have done brisket, chicken, pork shoulder and butt and ribs-lots of ribs......

For ribs, I generally use a version of the Memphis dry rub and smoke about 4 hrs at about 250 degrees. I use 50% charcoal as a base and put 50% soaked hardwood on top of the charcoal, usually apple or cherry wood. However, instead of putting just water in the water pan, I mix half water and half apple or cherry juice (depending on what wood I use). I think it adds a slightly sweet flavor to the bark, and it sure smells good when its smoking.

Then I finish by slopping on my wet bbg sauce (I have my own version I make, but you can mix a good bbq sauce 75% with about 25% italian dressing) then, wrapping the ribs in foil and cooking on my gas grill, not very long, just enough to slightly caramelize the wet rub.

Lot of work, but my ribs are as good as any ribs I have eaten in restaurants..................

Now that is what I am talking about. Nice tips.

Bought a Traeger 2 years ago and it's been a great investment. These are a staple in our house:

https://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/3-2-1-baby-back-ribs

I like mine a little spicier so i add some cayenne pepper, additional black pepper, and smoked paprika to the rub
Nice. I'll have to try that!

Haven't received the Traeger yet but any day! Couple thoughts based on my retirement gig in a hardware store where I get to assemble Traegers and other grills:

- The Traeger instrux include a six-pack of beer you need during assembly, and at each step shows how many bottles you should have consumed. Unfortunately at work I'm prevented from following that guidance. :)

- Suspect the Traegers are a lot like HP (or any) printers where a significant ongoing source of revenue is toner, or in this case bags of wood pellets. We sell a TON of pellets. And they ain't cheap!

Might be the one of the few positives of this imposed isolation- breaking out the various grills!

Latest posts