OT FOR MODS - Site issue on mobile

I gave up using the site on my iPhone 6 over a year ago. I swear that technology is designed solely to frustrate the non-technical people in the world and all the tech guys (and gals) are just laughing at us.

I've forwarded the issue onto our folks. Thanks.

I'm bumping this thread because the previously described issues are still happening when viewing the website using my (Android) phone. Whenever I visit HN's home page or forums, after a few seconds I am automatically redirected to a fake website saying there is a virus on my phone. I don't even need to click/tap on any links anywhere.

It is very annoying when it happens because I can't just hit the back button to go back to where I was. I need to close the browsing session and reopen the webpage. It only happens on my phone and only when viewing the HN website. Everything works fine when using my PC.

Thanks for bumping this, Mikey. I took a break from this site after the Rose Bowl and when I returned about two months ago, I started having the issues described above on my Android phone. Sometimes it happens only occasionally and sometimes the site is downright unusable due to fake virus popups and general poor performance issues.

Also - ironically - when I listen to the podcasts, I like to also surf around on my phone. I can go to ANY site or twitter or FB but if I try to go to hawkeyenation - it immediately stops the playback of the podcast.

I've been having this issue a bunch lately. I believe its an advertisement that is redirecting the browser. I screenshotted one of them. I've seen 2 in total. The one below and another one saying my computer is infected. These redirect your browser and don't let you go back to the site without reloading the URL.

I am using Android & Chrome

RdZH2Rn.jpg

I mentioned this in the game day thread on Saturday. There's so many freaking ads on this site it's hard to use on any mobile device. They are at the top, bottom and even in the middle of the damn threads! Heaven forbid if you unintentionally click one by scrolling through the feed as it will send you off and won't let you use the back button to go back. Why do you have to have ads in the middle of the damn thread?!??! Top and bottom okay I get it but in between people's posts???? I also get the redirects on page load sometimes. They do hijack the browser and probably lead to malware. Thanks for looking into it. Hope it gets fixed soon. Looking into other people's suggestions to remove them entirely.

I've been having this issue a bunch lately. I believe its an advertisement that is redirecting the browser. I screenshotted one of them. I've seen 2 in total. The one below and another one saying my computer is infected. These redirect your browser and don't let you go back to the site without reloading the URL.

I am using Android & Chrome

RdZH2Rn.jpg

Thanks for doing that. The IT folks are looking through this thread as I sent it to them

Just tried the Brave browser and came straight to this thread again. Already blocked 5 ads and it's running great. HN looks nice without ads I must say. Runs great. Thanks for the suggestion.

I use Android. And I DO NOT use Chrome or the built-in Android web browser (which is based on Chrome). I use Firefox and it's AdBlock extension, which is available for desktop and mobile platforms. It takes a bit longer to actually load Firefox but once it's loaded I simply don't see the ads everyone here is talking about. And Firefox offers the same kind of sync that Chrome has. I can sync boookmarks, passwords, tabs, etc., across the browsers on my home desktop computer, my personal laptop, my tablet and my phone.

That being said, the Brave browser looks interesting. It's built on the same engine as Chrome but isn't associated with Chrome at all.

Just tried the Brave browser and came straight to this thread again. Already blocked 5 ads and it's running great. HN looks nice without ads I must say. Runs great. Thanks for the suggestion.
Same here!! I owe u beer!!

It's been happening for a long time. As I even type this up it is just slow and almost unresponsive. Oh yeah when I don't have fake virus, the ads cause just as much of a headache

I use Android. And I DO NOT use Chrome or the built-in Android web browser (which is based on Chrome). I use Firefox and it's AdBlock extension, which is available for desktop and mobile platforms. It takes a bit longer to actually load Firefox but once it's loaded I simply don't see the ads everyone here is talking about. And Firefox offers the same kind of sync that Chrome has. I can sync boookmarks, passwords, tabs, etc., across the browsers on my home desktop computer, my personal laptop, my tablet and my phone.

That being said, the Brave browser looks interesting. It's built on the same engine as Chrome but isn't associated with Chrome at all.

Correct. Both Chrome and Brave are built on the Chomium browser, which is open-source (and still created by Google). Chrome is just Chromium with Google's advertising / tracking stuff built-in.

Latest posts