OT: Derecho!

tweeterhawk

Getting reports from fam of bad damage in the Ames and Cedar Rapids areas. Widespread losses of power, gas leaks, trees down, damage to houses.

Seeing the radar and the path of the front it looks like this extends into Illinois and even Wisconsin. Hope everyone is safe!

Got a report from one of my Fed Ex drivers that every main road out of Savanna Illinois was blocked by downed trees and/or power lines at 2:30 pm.

I would have been in nearby Mount Carroll at that time but had a doctor appointment this morning.

I missed the 90 mph winds, but got plenty wet, and had several deliveries detoured by trees down across roads.

Got a report from one of my Fed Ex drivers that every main road out of Savanna Illinois was blocked by downed trees and/or power lines at 2:30 pm.

I would have been in nearby Mount Carroll at that time but had a doctor appointment this morning.

I missed the 90 mph winds, but got plenty wet, and had several deliveries detoured by trees down across roads.

Glad you are safe. Scary report!

Iowa City was hit hard. More than 20K without power. We are fortunate to live Far East side and have power. No internet. Neighbor’s tree snapped in half and is sitting in our backyard.

Glad you are safe. Scary report!
I was 20 miles north of Mount Carroll, in Stockton, when the sky turned greenish and got awfully low. I recognized it, from prior storm spotter experience, as a shelf cloud (a rushing flow of cool air in front of a thunderstorm), but that cell may have produced at least two tornadoes in Rockford. It's very possible that the storm I saw in Stockton got ahead of the main squall line and developed it's own inflow, which can cause the tornadic precursor called the rotating supercell.

Once again the hour delay I had to my day because of my medical appointment may have been the best delay ever. Delivery driving and downed power lines are not a good combination. I would have arrived in Mount Carroll in the middle of a doozy storm

We are near Mercer park in Iowa City. We are without power. If you drive around Iowa City you get the idea it could be days before power is restored.

Iowa City was hit hard. More than 20K without power. We are fortunate to live Far East side and have power. No internet. Neighbor’s tree snapped in half and is sitting in our backyard.
The humidity in the air Sunday and today was palpable. If everything came together properly, or improperly for some, there were going to be some explosive hellacious storms.

We live in Marion. It's a disaster here. Virtually all of the mature trees in the area are either uprooted or sustained major damage. Our house just has some missing soffit and a few missing shingles, but my neighbors less than 10 feet to the North and South lost half of their roofs and have significant parts of their houses exposed.

I heard it will be a few days before we have power. All of the utility poles between Hwy 151 and County Home Rd along Hwy 13 North of Marion are snapped off about 12 ft or so off the ground and laying down. :(

We live in Marion. It's a disaster here. Virtually all of the mature trees in the area are either uprooted or sustained major damage. Our house just has some missing soffit and a few missing shingles, but my neighbors less than 10 feet to the North and South lost half of their roofs and have significant parts of their houses exposed.

I heard it will be a few days before we have power. All of the utility poles between Hwy 151 and County Home Rd along Hwy 13 North of Marion are snapped off about 12 ft or so off the ground and laying down. :(

That’s the report from my brother on the west side of CR. He lost all the trees in their yard as did all his neighbors. A falling tree behind their house broke a gas line, causing a huge leak. The neighborhood had to evacuate. Brother took family for a drive. Said a lot of damage throughout CR. Likely going to be without power for days. Major problem is the beer In his fridge is getting warm.

My brother in North Liberty has a lot of downed trees.

My nephew in Cedar Rapids got lucky as no trees hit his house, though every house around him had trees on them or through them.

I lived near Virginia Beach from '01 - '08 and rode out Hurricane Isabel there in '03.

During the most intense part of the Derecho today we had sustained 80+ mph winds in Gilbert for about 30 min. Extend that over the course of several hours and that is exactly what a hurricane is like. Now you know.

I grew up in Belle Plaine and was texting back and forth with my family that still lives there. At the very same time Brian Williams was live on MSNBC on his show “The Eleventh Hour” and he started out talking about the storm and showed a social network video from ........... yep............ Belle Plaine, Iowa. Population around 2000 people. That will make the hairs on your neck stand up! Weird coincidence.

My girlfriend lives east of Coe/St. Luke's area, total disaster.....she's doing well, got her animals out and living with friends west of CR. Glad everyone is doing ok.

Derecho could be someone's nickname if we ever see football again. :)

It thrashed my mom's 'hood in the U. Lost her old tree. Two neighbors in her cul de sac are missing portions of their roofs. People in Chicago said it was pretty bad by the time it got there. Heck, I saw some pictures this morning of Best Buy on Clyborn, Nordstrom off Michigan Ave and Portillo's and those places all looked a freaking bomb went off by them. That must have been one helluva storm.

It thrashed my mom's 'hood in the U. Lost her old tree. Two neighbors in her cul de sac are missing portions of their roofs. People in Chicago said it was pretty bad by the time it got there. Heck, I saw some pictures this morning of Best Buy on Clyborn, Nordstrom off Michigan Ave and Portillo's and those places all looked a freaking bomb went off by them. That must have been one helluva storm.

Well-played, sir!

See what you did there....

I work for an R.E.C. in eastern Iowa, been working 12-17 a day this week. We had around 7300 people out right after the storm and down to about 2000 now. North of I-80 in the Tipton, Stanwood, Clarence, Mechanicsville area is a F'ing mess, Any grain bin that was not half full is gone, and most of them bins took out poles and lines with them. Our broken pole number is getting in the 250-300 range and counting. I have not even started on the trees, it take an hour or so at each place clearing trees just to get to our things. We have places that will be out at least another 48-60 hours, and we have had 25-30 guys and 8-10 trucks come in from down South somewhere. I work in dispatch when shit hits the fan, was in at 4:30 and hope to be out of here by 10 tonight. Livin on redbull and pizza at this point, but I do think the worst of it will be over after today for us

Latest posts