Orange Crush got discounted tickets

bighawkeyedaddy

Per Rob Howe who was just on Matt and Miller, the Orange Crush fans received tickets for the Illini game at a discounted price of $14 (compared to $20) by buying as a group. They claimed they were from Bettendorf and were bringing a group over to support the Hawks. If this is true, Barta should be fired. I can gurantee you I won't buy a ticket for the rest of the season.

Barta should be fired for the ticket office selling a group of tickets to a person with a Bettendorf, Iowa address? Not sure I follow your logic.

We got duped. Good for the Orange Krush, bad for us. Simple as that.

Let me clarify. A buddy of mine was planning on getting a group of us up to go the Northwestern game next week, a Wednesday night game. Was planning on being 35-40 of us. He called the ticket office and was told there was not a group price available, but was also told that they couldn't accomodate a request for that many tickets together. Not sure how they could not fit 40 of us together when they put 160 together in one section for the Illinois game. Unless of course my buddy is full of beans, which could entirely be the case as well.

Probably jumped the gun on the post out of anger and the fact I had to go the chiropractor twice today for a slipped disk in my back and the damn doc won't give me pain pills!

Maybe Northwestern is packing the house compared to CHA? That is sad to think about. No idea though.

There was an article on this two days ago in the PC - Barta and the ticket office really had no way of knowing it was the orange krush. RELAX

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/basketball/4591-story-behind-illini-student-section.html

Except that he was emailed on November 18th that this was going to happen. His response was that the only way for it not to happen was to have Iowa fans buy the tickets. He knew it was going to happen and did nothing. Any large group should have been put up top and divided up into smaller groups. The Krush did the same thing a few years ago and we never learned. Shame on us...especially with warning.

It's pretty bad when 150 people can...

1. Buy tickets in CHA and all sit together...

2. Get so much pub out of it...

3. Outnumber their football traveling party...

Except that he was emailed on November 18th that this was going to happen. His response was that the only way for it not to happen was to have Iowa fans buy the tickets. He knew it was going to happen and did nothing. Any large group should have been put up top and divided up into smaller groups. The Krush did the same thing a few years ago and we never learned. Shame on us...especially with warning.

3 Questions:

1) You have access to Barta's email?

2) If they purchased the tickets early in the season like PC article says what can they do?

3) Who cares? Their bball fans travel well - good for them. If we cant fill the stadium then stuff like this is going to happen. Now we know how Gopher fans feel when November rolls around every other year

3 Questions:

1) You have access to Barta's email?

2) If they purchased the tickets early in the season like PC article says what can they do?

3) Who cares? Their bball fans travel well - good for them. If we cant fill the stadium then stuff like this is going to happen. Now we know how Gopher fans feel when November rolls around every other year

1. Anyone can email Gary. It's public.

2. They can put groups up top and break them up as previously stated.

3. I care. We should always be there en masse as much as we can for away games and we must protect our own house. I don't want to know how Gopher fans feel. Do you? I only want to inflict the feeling.

1. Anyone can email Gary. It's public.

2. They can put groups up top and break them up as previously stated.

3. I care. We should always be there en masse as much as we can for away games and we must protect our own house. I don't want to know how Gopher fans feel. Do you? I only want to inflict the feeling.

So you emailed him about this? Was it before they purchased the tickets? The article made it sound like they purchased the tickets before we had any idea. My point for #2 was that if they already bought the tickets before anyone found out we would be stuck right? We cant cancel their order and send them new tickets because they are illinois fans

I really dont care about #3 - ive talked to several season ticket holders who dont care either. They were just glad (like me) that there was a good game atmosphere. Hard for me to buy into the "we must protect our own house" when the avg attendance is 5k.

So you emailed him about this? Was it before they purchased the tickets? The article made it sound like they purchased the tickets before we had any idea. My point for #2 was that if they already bought the tickets before anyone found out we would be stuck right? We cant cancel their order and send them new tickets because they are illinois fans

I really dont care about #3 - ive talked to several season ticket holders who dont care either. They were just glad (like me) that there was a good game atmosphere. Hard for me to buy into the "we must protect our own house" when the avg attendance is 5k.

He was emailed on November 18th that this was going to happen and that they would attempt to trick the ticket office. I believe the tickets were purchased on the 19th. People tried to prevent it. Didn't happen and we move on.

If we've stopped caring about protecting our house, and don't mind if opposing fan bases chant "This is OUR house" then shame on us. It's sickening.

He was emailed on November 18th that this was going to happen and that they would attempt to trick the ticket office. I believe the tickets were purchased on the 19th. People tried to prevent it. Didn't happen and we move on.

If we've stopped caring about protecting our house, and don't mind if opposing fan bases chant "This is OUR house" then shame on us. It's sickening.

Impossible, since Big Ten tickets didn't go on sale to the general public until November 30. Only season ticket holders could order Big Ten tickets before that date.

If thats true then Barta should be getting some flak for this

were you at the game?

I was - dont scold me about the our house chant!

I don't understand why some of you are making a huge deal out of this. He sold them group tickets, so what? We don't even fill 25 percent of Carver anymore, so they easily could have all sat by each other anyway even if they don't buy group tickets. I don't really know a whole lot about the situation, but if he sold the tickets for a discount, that is kind of "bad". But at least Iowa is getting money for the tickets, and not letting the seats go to waste. If we don't want it to happen again, someone send out petitions to every Iowa resident telling them to go to the Hawk bball games to prevent this from happening again.

Impossible, since Big Ten tickets didn't go on sale to the general public until November 30. Only season ticket holders could order Big Ten tickets before that date.

I thought I read an article here in Illinois where the Krush said they called on the 19th. Doesn't matter if it was the 19th or the 30th though.........Barta DID know on the 18th that they were going to do it. Hopefully we can just beat them next year at their place. That would be nice for a change and I don't care how many Iowa fans are there.

I dont know what the threshold is for group rate buys...we got a group rate two years ago when we wanted to sit together for the Iowa-Okie State wrestling meet...we wound up selling over 300.

+1. You should post here more often THG, you are one of the best.

Latest posts