opposition research podcast

iloveyoularrystation

Liked it a lot. Great idea. I'll be tuning in every week, its got some great content. My only critique if I was gonna give one is it could have gone even more in depth, and asked a few more questions about iowa states team. Like who are some players for isu we may not know that will make an impact on Saturday, those types of questions. We know purdy, and lima and those guys, but maybe some of the guys we may see at some positions where dudes graduated or guys that don't get much pub. All in all, really liked it.

I liked it and agree it could have been more in depth. Chris got to rambling about the series and pretty much the entire audience already knows.
It is great that ISU has gotten better and I hope they have a great year (losing Saturday of course).
It will really be a great game for the Hawks to see how good they are. From ol and coach to dl and that new coach. To our oc.
This is a great game to showcase and also a great game to have before Michigan in a couple weeks.

Chris is pretty stoked about a defense that gave up 26 points to an FCS team...

It gave up 6 in regulation.

I posted in another thread that Iowa put up 27 vs Miss. St. and's Iowa's offense is better this year than last year. I mean lSU's defense is nice, but it isn't close to MSU.

MSU #2 scoring D at 13.2 PPG, ISU #37 at 22.9 PPG
MSU #7 vs the pass at 168 YPG, ISU #72 at 234 YPG

I think ISU fans should be much more worried about how they are going to manufacture some points vs Iowa when they could only muster 1 TD vs UNI. ISU fans like to say that if they didn't make mistakes they would have dominated UNI.....well guess what you are going to make mistakes in every game, you will make mistakes vs Iowa as well.

I'm very concerned about ISU's ability to score. I'm not concerned about the defense at all.

I'm not comparing ISU to MSU's defense. I don't think it's terribly relevant either. Iowa only put up 13 points against ISU last year when ISU's offense was truly awful.

Mistakes are correctable. That's what the hope is and it's not absurd to expect improvement there because ISU under Campbell has played clean football. That's part of the identity of the program. The hope is that they improve there. If they don't, then ISU will lose.

Would you care to make a little wager that Iowa only puts up 13 or less again this year?

Why? I think it's certainly possible, but I also thought 2 years ago the game would be very low scoring and both teams put up 40. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Iowa only put up 13. What number you think Iowa gets to?

At least 20+

I also enjoyed this podcast both individually and as a conceptual idea,

I think one topic that got overlooked is how Iowa St. last year had great success last year in crashing the back side of Iowa’s zone read blocking. It’s like Campbell watched a couple of Wisconsin games and the Hawks struggled with it all game long. With Iowa incorporating more heads up blocking, they seemingly have cured a lot of woes from last year (albeit against weaker completion). So is Iowa’s updated blocking scheme the cure the the 3-4 crashing bugaboo? I feel like we will find this out on Saturday.

Some of you guys are putting way too much into the ISU UNI game. Didn’t we barely beat UNI and then end up having an awesome year? It’s one game, c’mon people.

Also bringing up Mississippi State game now? We got outgained in that game 199 to 342, and 75 of our yards were on a busted coverage. Our defense, specifically AJE won that game for us.

Iowa’s offense looks to have some pieces this year which is exciting. ISU has had two weeks to prepare and this is likely their biggest home game in quite some time. They’ll be ready and this should be a dog fight.

I posted in another thread that Iowa put up 27 vs Miss. St. and's Iowa's offense is better this year than last year. I mean lSU's defense is nice, but it isn't close to MSU.

MSU #2 scoring D at 13.2 PPG, ISU #37 at 22.9 PPG
MSU #7 vs the pass at 168 YPG, ISU #72 at 234 YPG

I think ISU fans should be much more worried about how they are going to manufacture some points vs Iowa when they could only muster 1 TD vs UNI. ISU fans like to say that if they didn't make mistakes they would have dominated UNI.....well guess what you are going to make mistakes in every game, you will make mistakes vs Iowa as well.

If you don’t make mistakes you dominate every game. If Iowa played Alabama and made no mistakes they’d win.

Some of you guys are putting way too much into the ISU UNI game. Didn’t we barely beat UNI and then end up having an awesome year? It’s one game, c’mon people.

Also bringing up Mississippi State game now? We got outgained in that game 199 to 342, and 75 of our yards were on a busted coverage. Our defense, specifically AJE won that game for us.

Iowa’s offense looks to have some pieces this year which is exciting. ISU has had two weeks to prepare and this is likely their biggest home game in quite some time. They’ll be ready and this should be a dog fight.

I was also saying the game vs UNI means nothing in the scheme of things. I will say my optimism of Iowa's chances to win stem more from what Iowa is doing offensively and the questions marks ISU has offensively than anything. I felt that ISU MIGHT have some issues replacing Montgomery and Butler and that the Oline might still be weak. All 3 of those things played out vs UNI. ISU only ran for 4 YPC, and they didn't have any explosive running plays. Purdy didn't push the ball downfield at all, and the passing game didn't look nearly as dangerous without Butler.

I still would only give Iowa a 50/50 shot of winning. If this were at Iowa, I'd be pretty confident that Iowa was gonna win by 7 or more, but it is in Ames, and that place is gonna be Lit like Jack Trice has never been Lit before.

Mistakes are correctable. That's what the hope is and it's not absurd to expect improvement there because ISU under Campbell has played clean football. That's part of the identity of the program. The hope is that they improve there. If they don't, then ISU will lose.

That is really true if you look at their national rank in areas like penalties and turnovers. He seems like a heck of a coach.

It is interesting that after a start in which these 2 staffs seemed to throw a lot of shade each other's way, there seems to be a fair amount of mutual respect right now. Then again, maybe that is just coach speak, and they truly hate one another behind the scenes.

38-17 Hawks win.

I don't agree that the time off helps ISU. They needed to work on stuff and correct stuff to have a successful year and not just spend the extra time preparing for Iowa. The big picture is more important.
It will be a defensive struggle but I think we get 2-3 turnovers and that along with our other opportunities yields 38. I think we play clean focused ball on D and prove that we are a top 5 defense. They are held to 10, but KF subs in for experience in the last 8 minutes and they get another td to make it 17.

I kind of feel that ISU is similar to Nebraska. They had a lot of preseason hype because they have a hot young coach and finished last year fairly strong, but in the end, they do not have the horses to be a Top 25 team. I think Iowa is simply more talented on paper than ISU.

If Iowa plays a clean game, it wins 8 games out of 10. If Stanley throws to the wrong jersey a time or two, all bets are off.

Also remember Iowa has had pretty good success with a few moving parts on that O-line. This shows their quality depth. Wait until they get consistency there!!

I feel that it will be an enormous challenge for ISU to overcome all of the hype from the offseason, have 2 weeks to think about this game on top of having gameday. That's a lot of pressure on a team and coach that hasn't had a lot of historical success under that kind of spotlight. You could see them folding under that pressure in the UNI game. I also feel like the groupings matchup favors to Iowa by quite a bit. I think the Hawks will run away with this one.

I feel that it will be an enormous challenge for ISU to overcome all of the hype from the offseason, have 2 weeks to think about this game on top of having gameday. That's a lot of pressure on a team and coach that hasn't had a lot of historical success under that kind of spotlight. You could see them folding under that pressure in the UNI game. I also feel like the groupings matchup favors to Iowa by quite a bit. I think the Hawks will run away with this one.

That is what I was thinking.

Until our secondary got really thin.

Just don't see how the Clowns can be as good as last year though. A lot of this is preseason hype imo. They are set up to fail on the big stage.

We will see what Phil schemes for our depleted secondary. It might be close for a half. And part of that is KF and his tendencies. His sphincter gets a little tight during this game as well. We shall see if he allows Jr to be uber aggressive. You know that is what he wants. Especially against these guys.

I'm very concerned about ISU's ability to score. I'm not concerned about the defense at all.

I'm not comparing ISU to MSU's defense. I don't think it's terribly relevant either. Iowa only put up 13 points against ISU last year when ISU's offense was truly awful.

Everyone is predicting a grider, low scoring game. I think this game will be more like 2017. Call me crazy. Lots of respect for ISU. I follow them.

Latest posts