Only 5?

LoewDog

Seems we need to win a few to get in.

Should that not happen will it be that the BIG only gets 5 teams in?

Will they take a team that seeded lower than us?

At least 6 get in (top 5 plus the winner of Illinois/Minnesota). I think the loser still probably gets in, too.

At least 6 get in (top 5 plus the winner of Illinois/Minnesota). I think the loser still probably gets in, too.

We beat both Illinois and Minnesota, though. How would one of them get in over us, especially if we beat Northwestern?

Probably be more SEC and ACC teams to get in than the Big Ten....committee looks at the league standings and says only top 5 are worthy in the Big Ten.

We beat both Illinois and Minnesota, though. How would one of them get in over us, especially if we beat Northwestern?

IIRC the ncaa selection committee and process are not beholding to how teams finish in conf. Football bowl games are usually filled by how teams finish in the standings but even that process has the old "lets let Mich jump over Iowa or MSU" to fill a better bowl game spot.

The hard non-conf schedule that sparty plays can really help if they were to finish middle of the pack in a tough B1G bball league.

Probably be more SEC and ACC teams to get in than the Big Ten....committee looks at the league standings and says only top 5 are worthy in the Big Ten.

Unless there are a bunch of weird tourney results letting some conferences get extra teams in I think the B1G gets 7 teams in. It might be Iowa outside looking in but Illini and minny , arent they 2 of top 64 teams in the country? take out the other top teams that get an automatic bid and there is probably room for 7 teams.

Unless there are a bunch of weird tourney results letting some conferences get extra teams in I think the B1G gets 7 teams in. It might be Iowa outside looking in but Illini and minny , arent they 2 of top 64 teams in the country? take out the other top teams that get an automatic bid and there is probably room for 7 teams.

Illinois and Minnesota both got crushed by a Northwestern team that is honestly worse than any product Lickliter rolled out onto the court. To call either of those two teams a top 64 team is a joke.

Illinois and Minnesota both got crushed by a Northwestern team that is honestly worse than any product Lickliter rolled out onto the court. To call either of those two teams a top 64 team is a joke.

Somebody's mad that Fran could do what Alford couldn't, sweep NW.

I've wondered this myself. Iowa finished alone in 6th. The 7th seeded team is Purdue. By all accounts, Illinois and Minnesota did enough on their resume's to make it in. I could see the committee omitting one (either Iowa or Purdue) or including one (Ill/Minny). It doesn't make sense that both Illinois and Minnesota get in and Iowa doesn't. To me that would be a stretch. As TM said, the winner of Illinois/Minnesota gets in. The loser goes to the NIT. Then it becomes a question of whether or not the committee takes Iowa as well.

Just my $.02 .. ..

GO HAWKS!!!

Good gracious! Illinois and Minny are in! IN! I hate it as much as the next guy, but they have signature wins and the necessary RPI. On paper they look worthy....but if I was in that selection room (which by the way would be a dream job) we would have some serious discussion about the eyeball test- which neither currently pass. But I am not in that room, and the spineless selection committee will do what they do: focus on RPI and quality wins.

Good gracious! Illinois and Minny are in! IN! I hate it as much as the next guy, but they have signature wins and the necessary RPI. On paper they look worthy....but if I was in that selection room (which by the way would be a dream job) we would have some serious discussion about the eyeball test- which neither currently pass. But I am not in that room, and the spineless selection committee will do what they do: focus on RPI and quality wins.

You're never going to get on the selection committee if you talk about them like that.

You're never going to get on the selection committee if you talk about them like that.
images

Given my background, there are about 12,000 reasons before that comment that would exclude me from such a position. But thanks for the career advice.

So would we have been better off getting to play either Illinois/Minnesota in the 1st round, then hoping that another win over one of them would look better than beating Northwestern and then losing to MSU?

So would we have been better off getting to play either Illinois/Minnesota in the 1st round, then hoping that another win over one of them would look better than beating Northwestern and then losing to MSU?

We would probably be much better off..if we were to win the game. That way we could get 2 quality wins without having to make the finals.

In case someone didn't already say it, Illinois beat Gonzaga at Gonzaga. With their non-con record they are solidly in according to people who seem to know how things work. They also beat Butler. Couple that with the fact they were just one game behind us in the B10 and that is why they make it before us.

Minnesota? I don't think so, without doing more than us.

I this a serious question? Its been explained to death that the committee could care less about where these teams finished in the conference, it has no bearing. Each team is judged by what it did individually over the whole season.

Minnesota and Illinois have strength of scheudle, RPI, quality wins against the likes Gonzaga, Indiana, and MSU all potential one seeds, road wins, few bad losses and they have a good number of overall wins.

Iowa on the other hand has 4 decent quality wins all at home but none of the other things. a 6th place finsish dosen't mean anything because the played a weaker schedule.

Iowa needs to beat MSU on a neutral court to be in the discussion.

The big ten will get a minimum of 7 and Iowa could be 8.

Latest posts