Only 5?

I this a serious question? Its been explained to death that the committee could care less about where these teams finished in the conference, it has no bearing. Each team is judged by what it did individually over the whole season.

Minnesota and Illinois have strength of scheudle, RPI, quality wins against the likes Gonzaga, Indiana, and MSU all potential one seeds, road wins, few bad losses and they have a good number of overall wins.

Iowa on the other hand has 4 decent quality wins all at home but none of the other things. a 6th place finsish dosen't mean anything because the played a weaker schedule.

Iowa needs to beat MSU on a neutral court to be in the discussion.

The big ten will get a minimum of 7 and Iowa could be 8.

About as good of summary as one needs, not sure why people struggle with the clear points made here.

I this a serious question? Its been explained to death that the committee could care less about where these teams finished in the conference, it has no bearing. Each team is judged by what it did individually over the whole season.

Minnesota and Illinois have strength of scheudle, RPI, quality wins against the likes Gonzaga, Indiana, and MSU all potential one seeds, road wins, few bad losses and they have a good number of overall wins.

Iowa on the other hand has 4 decent quality wins all at home but none of the other things. a 6th place finsish dosen't mean anything because the played a weaker schedule.

I want to belive that the BIG would get 7 or 8. All the talking head in college bball are saying that the Big east is getting in 8. I dont understand how the BIG is the best in the nation and only get in 5 or 6.

And the poor NIT selection committee!...always having to wait until after selection Sunday to put together their brackets, call ADs to secure courts, and of course, receive the "of course we're excited" faux response from the teams outside looking in on the big dance.

I believe Illinois is in. Minnesota, not quite so fast my friend. They suck right now, their last 10 game record is miserable (less that freak IU win), and yes they have some bad losses too (NW, Neb, huh?). If they lose to Illinois, even badly, they will sweat a little on Sunday. I LOVE to see a Gopher sweat.

Iowa could very well win 2 in the big 10 tourney and get left out. There would be a zero percent chance of that happening if they would be the 6th team in instead of the 8th.

I may be going out on a limb here, but if anyone thinks more SEC or ACC teams make it than B10 then they don't really study how this thing works. Neither of those will happen.

History has shown, whether you like it or not or can determine how it happens, the B10 always ends up getting more teams in than people think they deserve, including truthful B10 fans. Most people figure that we will get six. Based upon history, I say it will be seven. I don't know if Iowa is one of them. But if Minnesota loses to Illinois and we win two, we will be in. If we don't win two then maybe it is only six, but Minnesota has sone decent non-con wins on heir schedule.

the tournament is larger now than ever and the B10 was hands sown considered the best conference this year. I say that means seven teams in the NCAA Tournament.

i'm just saying...

I'm not sure if that means you don't understand because of how I worded it, or that you just don't agree with it.
I don't understand what you said either. Iowa finished 6th in the B1G. No ties. What did you mean by "There would be a zero percent chance of that happening if they would be the 6th team in instead of the 8th."?

GO HAWKS!!!

Think he meant sixth team IN.

That is, Iowa would have no problem getting in (as the sixth place team in the big ten), if there weren't two teams with better resumes behind them.

Is this issue that Iowa is a bubble team that would represent the EIGHTH team from the conference in the tournament? I don't know.

This is all true but it doesn't make it right. Why play conference games or keep track of conference records? It seems like a lot of trouble just to seed a 4 day tournament at the end of the year. Iowa went 2-1 against Illinois and Minnesota and finished ahead of them in the standings.

Don't take this as an attack on your post because that's not the case. You have listed the points constantly discussed everywhere and I wanted to contrast these points against a couple common sense issues I have with this way of thinking...by the committee, talking heads, etc.

Think he meant sixth team IN.

That is, Iowa would have no problem getting in (as the sixth place team in the big ten), if there weren't two teams with better resumes behind them.

Is this issue that Iowa is a bubble team that would represent the EIGHTH team from the conference in the tournament? I don't know.

This is pretty much what I meant. It seems that if we get in we will make it 8 teams from the big 10. Will the committee really think we are worth of an 8th bid when there has never been one? Say Illinois and Minnesota would have lost a couple more games playing themselves out of the picture. Would the committee really leave Iowa out knowing that if they do the big 10 will only invite 5 teams?

This is pretty much what I meant. It seems that if we get in we will make it 8 teams from the big 10. Will the committee really think we are worth of an 8th bid when there has never been one? Say Illinois and Minnesota would have lost a couple more games playing themselves out of the picture. Would the committee really leave Iowa out knowing that if they do the big 10 will only invite 5 teams?
My point is that the committee SHOULDN'T leave Iowa out if they take both Minnesota and Illinois. After all, Iowa finished a full game ahead of both of them. My take is that the only way Iowa should be left out is if they (the committee) take only 6. If they take 7, Iowa should be one of the seven.

GO HAWKS!!!

i still think minny could be out if they lose the 8/9 game

one more spanking and those "quality wins" start to look more like aberrations.

wouldn't surprise me at all if it is a 6-team league with the crappy illini getting in

(though they are a mediocre team and would get spanked by wichita state or the dreadfully overrated lobos)

My point is that the committee SHOULDN'T leave Iowa out if they take both Minnesota and Illinois. After all, Iowa finished a full game ahead of both of them. My take is that the only way Iowa should be left out is if they (the committee) take only 6. If they take 7, Iowa should be one of the seven.

GO HAWKS!!!

I definitely agree. Hopefully Minnesota gets a serious beat down to really get the committee thinking.

Yes, MN needs to get beaten badly on Thursday. See a Gopher sweat. They played through January and basically took February and March off. Mark of a crappy team.

Latest posts