Online Contacts and Eyeglasses

MelroseHawkins

I was wondering where you all order contacts from and/or eyeglasses. I recently went to the eye Dr. to get my eye situation straightened out as I turned 52. I've had glasses and/or contacts pretty much my entire life. I wore contacts until I started to have difficulty seeing up close late 40's turning over to 50. I stopped wearing them as my previous eye doc tried to change each eyes prescription (dominant eye) to help correct the issue of not seeing close up. Anyway, that didn't work.

Years ago I ordered my contacts from Lens.com so I figured I'd order again from them after my recent appt. I completed my order online and went to the check out only to realize the cost was about $200 something more than what they quoted on the site. Ordering 8 boxes was supposed to drop the price down to $48 a box. I contacted them and found out they include a ridiculous $229.00 for a processing and handling fee. I told them to F off and take me out of their system.

So, where do you order your contacts from as far as getting a decent price and service?

Also, in the past I have ordered glasses from EyeBuyDirect.com and have had good luck. I wasn't too thrilled the optical shop at the optometrist quoted me about $650 for a pair of glasses. When I ordered in the past, I only ordered a straight prescription so it wasn't a big deal. This time I need to order progressive lenses so wondering if anybody has had experience ordering progressives online like at EyeBuy, Zenni, Warby Parker, etc.? I am mostly wearing the contacts on a daily basis but would like a pair of glasses for certain times or as a backup. So, if I was going to primarily wear glasses, I'd fork down the $650 from the optician, but just using as a backup, I'd rather spend less, which is why I'm considering ordering online.

Anybody have luck ordering progressive lenses online and from who if you have?

Last edited:
I've done EyeBuyDirect before as well, but only for the kids' prescriptions and not for my own progressives. I'll probably be getting new progressives myself soon as well. I'll be interested in hearing your experience from whatever option you choose.

Anybody have luck ordering progressive lenses online and from who if you have?

No, I buy local. I try to buy everything local because if we don't we will wake up in 20 years and wonder why there are no businesses left.

The dirty secret of that particular industry is that a company called Luxottica has emerged and bought up almost everything, at least on the eyeglass side. They have used their market power to, in my opinion, extract revenue out of the business that would not be possible but for their tremendous scale. I dislike them so much that I have been on the same two pairs of frames for over 10 years. Look into it. Good luck on finding a deal.

No, I buy local. I try to buy everything local because if we don't we will wake up in 20 years and wonder why there are no businesses left.

The dirty secret of that particular industry is that a company called Luxottica has emerged and bought up almost everything, at least on the eyeglass side. They have used their market power to, in my opinion, extract revenue out of the business that would not be possible but for their tremendous scale. I dislike them so much that I have been on the same two pairs of frames for over 10 years. Look into it. Good luck on finding a deal.

Yea, one can tell when searching glasses from multiple sites they pretty much all look the same. I can buy that Luxottica pretty much is a monopoly over the entire industry.

FWIW, I did end up pulling the trigger and ordering again from EyeBuyDirect. Just taking the chance on the progressives as it was too good of deal not to try. I could not, not try it. I got the pair of glasses with premium progressive lens for like $117.00 to the door. I then thought to look up a promo code and there were many out there for EyeBuy. I got a 30% off so I ended up paying something around $82. Again, this is not my primary eyecare and only plan to use them in spot duty. I thought It's worth a try. If they suck, Oh well I'll toss em. Can't not try that saving $565 bucks.

I've had luck with them in the past with 3 other pairs (Two regular and prescription sunglasses). They now have a buy one get one free deal. I did this in the past and is how I got my prescription sunglasses. I should have done it again but forgot about the BOGO deal until after I placed the order.

Here they are.

Last edited:

I get that, and normally I try to buy everything local if possible. However I'm not paying 300% more for frames & lenses just to shop locally. If they were 50-75% more, I would support local. But the price at eye doctors is insane. I would be interested to know how much of a markup they apply. How much of that price is the manufacturer vs the eye doctor.

I get that, and normally I try to buy everything local if possible. However I'm not paying 300% more for frames & lenses just to shop locally. If they were 50-75% more, I would support local. But the price at eye doctors is insane. I would be interested to know how much of a markup they apply. How much of that price is the manufacturer vs the eye doctor.

This is where I am at. It is was reasonable I would get local at the clinic, for the advantage of the service. But, the gap between the two is so severe it drives me to go online. Most frames can be manufactured for around $5-10 bucks. the eye doc prob pays $30-40 for the frame than sells for $200 without lenses. Lenses are a another mark-up. It prob ends up being around 1,000% markup when all said and done from what I have read.

I get that selling glasses and contacts is about 62% of the optometrists revenue and they have to cover their overhead and pay for their brick and mortar store, but again, the difference is too much to overlook, IMO.

I have purchased several pairs of glasses from both Zenni and GlassesShop. Very happy with service, price and quality.
Family members have used 1800Contacts with equal satisfaction.
Costco is also good for both.

I've done EyeBuyDirect before as well, but only for the kids' prescriptions and not for my own progressives. I'll probably be getting new progressives myself soon as well. I'll be interested in hearing your experience from whatever option you choose.
Well Chicken, I got my progressives yesterday and they seem to be fine of good quality. The distance is clear and the close up seems accurate. I have nothing bad to say and I don't think the vision would be anymore accurate from a local optical shop, TBH.

I have purchased several pairs of glasses from both Zenni and GlassesShop. Very happy with service, price and quality.
Family members have used 1800Contacts with equal satisfaction.
Costco is also good for both.

My brother-in-law recommended 1800Contacts who I will prob use next to get contacts. I might just stick with ACLens as had good experience with them when used a % off for a first time purchase.

Definitely never going back to Lens.com.

Latest posts