One player, who's the key for success next season??

It's Jok and Jok alone.

Uthoff doesn't have to improve that much to be an effective three on a tall front line on a running team.

We know what we have with MG. He is a capable back-up PG, who will not make mistakes, but can't win the game for you. Woody is a T-Rex and that will limit his development.
White needs to be a scrappy energy 4.

With all this, what you don't have is someone who can create their own offense in the half court set. That player isn't on the roster for next year if it isn't Jok.

And those of you who want to remind me of Ogeslby, he is a catch a shoot guy, not a create your own guy.

Agree with this. Someone has to replace Marble's points/minutes.

Dickerson. Fran did not spend a scholly on Trey to have him play some kind of supporting role. He will be the starting PG if not to begin the year, shortly there after. We need him to be the man and dribble drive to finish / dish to open shooters. Clemmons will back him up and Mike G will be moving to the 2 guard to compete for minutes. MG must knock down shots and not get abused on D at the 2. He could be the odd man out if he does not produce.

Jok will play 2 and some 3 when we go to a three guard set. Jok is my #2 key.

White will never be a shooter and should never play the 3. He has a Ryan Bowen type of game and will be back at the four where that type of game can be more effective.

Utoff will play 3 and some 4 when spelling White. We need him to knock down shots from the perimeter. Utoff is my #3 key.
I agree that I can't see a rotation in which TD does not figure prominently. 2 of MG, TD, and Jok will likely be the starting guards. If they aren't, we don't make the top half of the league.

I'll be surprised if White sees a minute at the 3 his senior year. He'll shoot better and that will make him more effective at the 4. But White last year shot better than Ryan Bowen at Iowa. Bowen's strength was his extreme mobility due to his time as a tennis player. He couldn't shoot a lick.

Agree about Uthoff's role but I would be surprised if he's not more effective as a driver as well.

I see Uthoff as a key. He is such a weapon when he is aggressive, but he was timid too often last year. The significant void from last year's team is the leader scorer who controlled the offense and forced defenders to guard him everywhere on the floor. Uthoff looks like the closest guy to replacing that if he can mentally embrace that role and cut out the timid play.

So if I understand everyone correctly, Mike G sits next year for Trey...the Juco transfer who hasn't played Fran's system or in a major conference. MG led the big ten in assist to turnover ratio, and showed glimpses of being a great offensive point guard...driving to the rim, shooting. He was a true sophomore with the ball in his hands a ton for a good team. He slumped at the end of the year and the team tanked...hmmm...was he important? But, the new guy is going to bench him.

Gesell will start and have a great year...he will improve greatly as that is what the kid has done his whole career...every year is he is better. Why would this one be any different.

Iowa is in the dance next year and it's most likely a 4-5 seed...mark my words. The team will be a lot better than last year.

Not ready to buy the hype on next years team. Our defense killed us in the last 3 weeks of the season...who is going to come in and improve our defense? We lose all-league Devyn, 4 yr vets Melsahn and Zach, who were defensive guys. I am more worried about defense...it was abysmal down the stretch, with several teams shooting around 60%...Minny, IU, and NW....wow.

It was bad but the same group played pretty good defense for basically a year and a half prior to that.

All the close losses took a toll on their desire and focus to play D. I think it will be fine next year although Utoff and Jok are going to have to get better.

So if I understand everyone correctly, Mike G sits next year for Trey...the Juco transfer who hasn't played Fran's system or in a major conference. MG led the big ten in assist to turnover ratio, and showed glimpses of being a great offensive point guard...driving to the rim, shooting. He was a true sophomore with the ball in his hands a ton for a good team. He slumped at the end of the year and the team tanked...hmmm...was he important? But, the new guy is going to bench him.

Gesell will start and have a great year...he will improve greatly as that is what the kid has done his whole career...every year is he is better. Why would this one be any different.

Iowa is in the dance next year and it's most likely a 4-5 seed...mark my words. The team will be a lot better than last year.

I agree Mike starts every game but some will be at the 2 like he did for half his freshmen year unless Jok really kills it.

Having two small quick ball handling guards playing together can work very well.

Either way it's going to be Mike, Trey, Jok and Utoff splitting most of the time between 3 spots with JO and Clemons filling in.

"Key for success" is tough to quantify, but I will say this: the player who is going to be asked to do more to contribute to the alchemy that is next season is Gabe Olaseni.

If he can truly pull off the 4/5 combo, we're going to be in a very, very good spot.

If Jok and MG step it up we will be fine. Fortunately, I don't think the B1G will have as many elites. We should move up a spot or two in the league at a minimum.

Whitey, woody, jok, gessel. Oh wait, you said one. I'll go with four. All need to take a step forward with their games. All of them are keys. IF all of them do, we will be as good as last year. If they don't, expect a drop off.

And... If we can successfully play woody and gabe together, having two big guys like that together, very imposing, we would be quite large. Do it...DO IT!

MHA, Well said if everyone works hard this summer and improves we will be fine. If they don't Shame on them

After reading all your guys opinions the consensus is that there is no consensus... I'd love for Jok to be able to step up but there's just no guarantee he'll start yet or play big enough mins to do it. To me the biggest question mark is how he Oglesby and whoever all else tries to play the 2 spot to replace Marble do. I wouldn't rule anything out from happening. I just think Uthoff has the most potential to blow up with his role and mins being what they'll be. It'll be fun to see how it plays out.

I think you will see a completely different Hawkeye team on the court in terms of better shooters, and, I think a little quicker. Fran has a nice problem again, with the # of kids he's putting on the floor. We will see a guard who can penetrate & dish, who can find the open player, and you have a whole host of kids that have had another year under their belt, more experience, and a great understanding of how the B1G operates. I'm anxious to see how Trey handles the physicality of this conference, along with seeing Woody and Gabe out there together, and seeing what Uthoff can do more of....he will hit the weights (hopefully), and gain a lot more strength...And we will see how the new kids can blend in...exciting to be a Hawk fan...

And... If we can successfully play woody and gabe together, having two big guys like that together, very imposing, we would be quite large. Do it...DO IT!

White would be better than Gabe at power forward. I think Uthoff would probably be better that White at small forward. Gabe might be better than anyone else backing up White at power forward. It could be I don't really know what I'm talking about too.

You are understanding many of us as we think Trey barring a total disappointment in his ability to play will be the starter very quickly if not right away. Just think about it. You do not recruit a JUCO all American when you have two others already at that spot to come in and play spot duty. Fran knows correctly we need an upgrade in play at that position.

No one is bagging on MG. Many of us like him a lot but feel his game is more suited for the 2 guard than the point. You can throw out all of the stats you want but we need a PG who finishes drives and dishes to open shooters. MG is more of a shot taker than a creator for others and his finishing at the rim is so-so. The issue will be if he gets abused on D against bigger 2 guards? If yes, then he becomes a 10-15 min role player; shooter / instant offense type. AC will back up Trey at the point.

Last edited:
You are understanding many of us as we think Trey barring a total disappointment in his ability to play will be the starter very quickly if not right away. Just think about it. You do not recruit a JUCO all American when you have two others already at that spot to come in and play spot duty. Fran knows correctly we need an upgrade in play at that position.

No one is bagging on MG. Many of us like him a lot but feel his game is more suited for the 2 guard than the point. You can throw out all of the stats you want but we need a PG who finishes drives and dishes to open shooters. MG is more of a shot taker than a creator for others and his finishing at the rim is so-so. The issue will be if he gets abused on D against bigger 2 guards? If yes, then he becomes a 10-15 min role player; shooter / instant offense type. AC will back up Trey at the point.

I'll agree to disagree here...as I think Trey recruitment was more directed at Clemmon's issues rather than Gesell's. Plus it addressed depth at the PG position as Marble leaving certainly created a void there. It's also a getting the best player available get as he's got a skill set (speed / quickness) that is an upgrade and can create more shots for others.

Trey has to show he can play defense in a complex scheme, commit to it, and guard B10 skill players...and then there is the physical nature of the B10 that may be a step up in the push and shove department for him. Obviously, it's a major step up from where he's been.

IMO, Gesell is a consistent outside shot (from 3) away from being a star in the league. He's got the handles, assist to turnover ratio, and he's committed. He's got a decent stroke, but I think they have worked on him releasing the ball quicker and it flattened out his shot. My guess is that with his work ethic...he's going to improve greatly from 3 this year. I'll be shocked if Trey beats him out. If he does, we are going to be better, so it's all good.

I'll agree to disagree here...as I think Trey recruitment was more directed at Clemmon's issues rather than Gesell's. Plus it addressed depth at the PG position as Marble leaving certainly created a void there. It's also a getting the best player available get as he's got a skill set (speed / quickness) that is an upgrade and can create more shots for others.

Trey has to show he can play defense in a complex scheme, commit to it, and guard B10 skill players...and then there is the physical nature of the B10 that may be a step up in the push and shove department for him. Obviously, it's a major step up from where he's been.

IMO, Gesell is a consistent outside shot (from 3) away from being a star in the league. He's got the handles, assist to turnover ratio, and he's committed. He's got a decent stroke, but I think they have worked on him releasing the ball quicker and it flattened out his shot. My guess is that with his work ethic...he's going to improve greatly from 3 this year. I'll be shocked if Trey beats him out. If he does, we are going to be better, so it's all good.

Agree we are are speculating and this is going to be fun to see how this plays out. There is a big IF in my prediction. Trey's ability to come in and make the adjustment to the next level. I believe he will and within a short period of time it will be so obvious that his game is exactly what we have been missing at the point. The stat I want to know is games won and lost down the stretch because we did not have a PG that could break down a half court defense to either finish at the rim or dish to an open shooter due to a collapse by the defense due to the penetration. If MG did in one of these close games let me know because I have forgotten.

I like MG very much and am not disappointed with his play but strongly disagree that his game is a difference maker at the point. He plays like a 2 guard without 2 guard size. I think Trey will take the point and the interesting thing will be the 2 and 3 spots between Jok, MG & JO and Utoff (at 3). AC will back up Trey and occasionally so will MG but I see his minutes coming from the 2 unless AC cannot improve his play.

Bottom line is to improve as a program it may require recruiting better players that can come in and win a job even from a solid starter.

Last edited:
I think this thread shows just how uncertain we are with how we'll perform next season. We have a lot of question marks, but we also have a lot of potential answers. We really don't have "proof" that any one player will be able to perform, next season, the way they need to perform. By that I mean, every player on the team must make a specific improvement or two, or they haven't played at this level, yet. I see the potential in all of the players, with the exception of TD (hasn't played D1 yet), to make those strides. If they do, we will challenge WUs. If not, we'll be in the 5-7 slots.

Latest posts