One player, who's the key for success next season??

The Woodbury that we saw in the NCAA tournament.

Iowa has to put him on the block and feed him, he can carry Iowa and be the most dependable player on the roster, the tools are there. He has developed the 10 ft. jumper as well, so the pick and roll is there as well.

Invisible Woodbury? I kept tuning in and looking online the first Thursday and Friday of the tournament but those sources just kept saying Tennessee was the 11 seed in that region?

We have a lot of similar players....but no one that can create a shot for themselves or others. That makes Dickerson the best chance of someone providing something the team lacks...perimeter quickness. Penatrate and dish...that kind of guy. Our season probably rests on Trey's shoulders.

The Woodbury that we saw in the NCAA tournament.

Iowa has to put him on the block and feed him, he can carry Iowa and be the most dependable player on the roster, the tools are there. He has developed the 10 ft. jumper as well, so the pick and roll is there as well.

Totally agree. Its Woodbury. I think hes ready to start being the man on the block.

His first year he rushed everything, his second year he had much better patience but still lacked confidence to be the aggressor physically on offense.

But in the play in game he took it to those big boys right in the chest and if he does that he can get his buckets all day.

The One player is Mike Gesell. The PG position is the most important position on the floor, and we need him to step up and have a solid year. He doesn't need to average 15ppg, I am confident that Jok will step up the most in that category. The player who may be 2nd in terms of "key for success" is Utoff. He needs to pick up on some of the scoring and be able to create a shot.

The person who is not the answer to this question is Aaron White. Sure, he will bring intensity and be one of the leaders of the team, but he is NOT going to develop a jump shot and be all-NBA like some of you are hoping.

Im not sure Mike is going to be the primary pg. My hope with Mike is that he really starts to knock down his outisde shot, his form is perfect so I think hes capable of playing the combo guard role well.

Agree on White. Hes just not a shooter...but I hope he can develop just a decent mid range shot to help with spacing the way Jaryd Cole did as a senior That guy was certainly no shooter but he developed a fairly reliable 10-12 footer his last year. If White can just do that it will be a big improvement.

We have a lot of similar players....but no one that can create a shot for themselves or others. That makes Dickerson the best chance of someone providing something the team lacks...perimeter quickness. Penatrate and dish...that kind of guy. Our season probably rests on Trey's shoulders.

I think Trey can be the setup man this team was missing but I also think Uthoff and Jok both displayed some flashes of being really talented. I think they both have allot more to offer in the shot creating department than what they did last year.

Put aside the obvious that Marble was the problem at the end of the season (yes, that is sarcasm) and that five guys will easily make up his stats (again, more sarcasm) the one guy that is absolutely necessary to improve is Aaron White. If he doesn't develop an outside shot (even if he plays the 4 most of the time), then Jok-for-Ogs and Ogs-for-Marble isn't going to matter.

I think there is easily 3 guys that could make a noticeable jump. If I had to say one player though, I think it's easily Woody. He has the potential of opening up a lot if he becomes a problem in the paint.

Put aside the obvious that Marble was the problem at the end of the season (yes, that is sarcasm) and that five guys will easily make up his stats (again, more sarcasm) the one guy that is absolutely necessary to improve is Aaron White. If he doesn't develop an outside shot (even if he plays the 4 most of the time), then Jok-for-Ogs and Ogs-for-Marble isn't going to matter.

Iowa has scored allot ever since Fran got here with different in different roles. They'll be fine.

Marble scored allot, he also had the ball in his hands all the time.

I'm pretty sure I could find this same argument going two years back just insert Gatens for Marble.

Invisible Woodbury? I kept tuning in and looking online the first Thursday and Friday of the tournament but those sources just kept saying Tennessee was the 11 seed in that region?

Either this is some weird personal vendetta or you are the worst information searchist on the planet.

My comments on White are probably more wishful thinking than anything. Scorers are definitely what we need. And that could come from a number of guys.

I share the same sentiment...If our guard play is better from last years, scoring will be better IMO...you win with good guards....and guards make you a better scorer...Trey will have a good season and so will everyone else...can't wait, hoping everyone stays healthy over the summer, learn from last years collapse, move on, and show some Senior leadership...Big year out of White and et al...

I think there is easily 3 guys that could make a noticeable jump. If I had to say one player though, I think it's easily Woody. He has the potential of opening up a lot if he becomes a problem in the paint.
This is why I chose Woody earlier in the thread. His consistency could help a lot of guys increase their production.

It's Jok and Jok alone.

Uthoff doesn't have to improve that much to be an effective three on a tall front line on a running team.

We know what we have with MG. He is a capable back-up PG, who will not make mistakes, but can't win the game for you. Woody is a T-Rex and that will limit his development.
White needs to be a scrappy energy 4.

With all this, what you don't have is someone who can create their own offense in the half court set. That player isn't on the roster for next year if it isn't Jok.

And those of you who want to remind me of Ogeslby, he is a catch a shoot guy, not a create your own guy.

It's Jok and Jok alone.

Uthoff doesn't have to improve that much to be an effective three on a tall front line on a running team.

We know what we have with MG. He is a capable back-up PG, who will not make mistakes, but can't win the game for you. Woody is a T-Rex and that will limit his development.
White needs to be a scrappy energy 4.

With all this, what you don't have is someone who can create their own offense in the half court set. That player isn't on the roster for next year if it isn't Jok.

And those of you who want to remind me of Ogeslby, he is a catch a shoot guy, not a create your own guy.

I Agee with a lot of this except your thoughts on Uthoff.

I think he was ok at times last year, but I look to him to be the one to help create his own and went with him over Jok because he's an upper classmen with a redshirt year.

If we can get decent to good improvement from a combination of Woodbury, Gessell, Jok, Uthoff then we'll be a very good team next year. I doubt any of them want to repeat what happened at the end of this past season so I imagine they will be working hard to improve and fill in for the holes left by Marble/Basabe.

I Agee with a lot of this except your thoughts on Uthoff.

I think he was ok at times last year, but I look to him to be the one to help create his own and went with him over Jok because he's an upper classmen with a redshirt year.

I don't think Uthoff has a very aggressive personality, but Fran is pushing him to be a take charge guy. Jok probably doesn't need that much encouragement. Both Uthoff and Jok should be a lot better next year. Woodbury and Gesell will finally be upperclassmen so they should be ready to go. Iowa is going to have a lot of experience next year. They are pretty talented too. Its going to take a good team to beat them.

Not ready to buy the hype on next years team. Our defense killed us in the last 3 weeks of the season...who is going to come in and improve our defense? We lose all-league Devyn, 4 yr vets Melsahn and Zach, who were defensive guys. I am more worried about defense...it was abysmal down the stretch, with several teams shooting around 60%...Minny, IU, and NW....wow.

Dickerson. Fran did not spend a scholly on Trey to have him play some kind of supporting role. He will be the starting PG if not to begin the year, shortly there after. We need him to be the man and dribble drive to finish / dish to open shooters. Clemmons will back him up and Mike G will be moving to the 2 guard to compete for minutes. MG must knock down shots and not get abused on D at the 2. He could be the odd man out if he does not produce.

Jok will play 2 and some 3 when we go to a three guard set. Jok is my #2 key.

White will never be a shooter and should never play the 3. He has a Ryan Bowen type of game and will be back at the four where that type of game can be more effective.

Utoff will play 3 and some 4 when spelling White. We need him to knock down shots from the perimeter. Utoff is my #3 key.

Not ready to buy the hype on next years team. Our defense killed us in the last 3 weeks of the season...who is going to come in and improve our defense? We lose all-league Devyn, 4 yr vets Melsahn and Zach, who were defensive guys. I am more worried about defense...it was abysmal down the stretch, with several teams shooting around 60%...Minny, IU, and NW....wow.

Dev is a loss no doubt and who does not appreciate what Mel & Zach brought to the table but both of these guys were undersized 4's with limitations. We were flat out gassed down the stretch after the bench was shortened during conference play and we endured some tough losses like Wisky # 2 at home. That had as much to do with our D falling off and then our shooting as anything.

Defense is important but put the ball in the basket. That is what I want to see.

Latest posts