One mock draft has Hockenson and Fant going in the 1st rd

lightning1

Draftnet.com. Sorry. no link. I can't see that happening but it does add evidence to the notion that we lose both players to the NFL draft, this year.

I looked at three mock drafts from some major websites from the past three days, and only one of them even had Fant in the first round. Neither had Hockenson, and Stanley or any other Hawk was nowhere to be found.

If you're a projected 1st rounder you have to go. Especially at the TE spot where you're not likely to go in the top 5.

The last 2 drafts only 1 TE went in the first round, OJ Howard and Hayden Hurst. Each got around a $6M signing bonus and a $11M total contract. They went 19th and 23rd overall. You can't really turn that kind of money down.

If I had to guess, I'd put Fant as an early 2nd rounder and Hock as a 3rd.

Perhaps Kirk can convince Hock to stay another year with a chance to improve the draft status but as I've said in other threads, take the $$ while you can. He can spend more time on crafting his skill in the NFL and not worry about classes. The connections and money you make in the NFL outweigh a degree that you can always go back and get.

Perhaps Kirk can convince Hock to stay another year with a chance to improve the draft status but as I've said in other threads, take the $$ while you can. He can spend more time on crafting his skill in the NFL and not worry about classes. The connections and money you make in the NFL outweigh a degree that you can always go back and get.
I think Fant is a 1st round pick. Every year we see these NFL GMs go nuts over players with crazy combine workouts. Fant is this year's 'crazy combine workout". And then they'll see enough game tape of his catching ability to close the deal. Fant basically has the type of workout numbers to put him in good company at the WR position.
I think Hock is a 3rd round pick.

This is where I'm at as well. The extra hits are not worth it. Look at CJ Fedorowitz.

I think Fant is a 1st round pick. Every year we see these NFL GMs go nuts over players with crazy combine workouts. Fant is this year's 'crazy combine workout". And then they'll see enough game tape of his catching ability to close the deal. Fant basically has the type of workout numbers to put him in good company at the WR position.
Agree. I think there is probably a 60/40 chance Hock comes back for his RS JR year if he grades out at 3rd round. 2nd round he is probably gone. He's probably going to have a tough decision to make but both options are good for him. He's only 21 so a bright future ahead.

Yeah I've said on other threads 3rd round or higher you pretty much want to go get your NFL clock started. I mean the only way you'd maybe think about staying is if you could play yourself into a top 10ish pick overall. The guaranteed $ expedentially gets a lot more at that part of the draft but the difference between say being the 25th and 40th overall pick isn't enough to want to come back to school for. Go so that you can sooner reach your 2nd contract and get paid. That's where they can make the big bucks.

I could be wrong. I thought the TE position might be a little undervalued compared to some others and that it might force him down to a 2nd rounder but I see that 3 TEs got drafted in round 1 last year. I would expect if 1-2 TE come off the board in round 1, Fant will be one of those guys.

The top teams at the end of the first round will sometimes have the luxury of drafting someone like a freak athlete TE or a future pro bowl guard or center, but guys like Hockenson don't usually get drafted really high.

I could be wrong. I thought the TE position might be a little undervalued compared to some others and that it might force him down to a 2nd rounder but I see that 3 TEs got drafted in round 1 last year. I would expect if 1-2 TE come off the board in round 1, Fant will be one of those guys.
Mizzu and Bama both have TEs that are pretty good. The Mizzu one is a bigger guy 260ish and not the downfield threat like Fant is. But good nonetheless. Bamas is a stud weighs closer to 250ish and I could see him being the 1st TE taken if Fant isn't. Where TJH fits in as a do it all TE is anyones guess but for 4 TEs to get taken in the first couple of rounds or so that'd be saying something. But since this draft is short of QBs (maybe even the best one if Oregons doesn't come out) other positions may get more love so I could see it happen

The top teams at the end of the first round will sometimes have the luxury of drafting someone like a freak athlete TE or a future pro bowl guard or center, but guys like Hockenson don't usually get drafted really high.

This year's late first round teams are going to get destroyed in a few years. The Rams have a ton of extra cap space because Goff is still on a rookie contract. Same with the Chiefs and Mahomes. Brees, Brady and Big Ben have to be done soon, too. A lot of years it is good for a guy's career to go later in the first round and wind up with a quality franchise, but with the looming QB issues some of these teams are gonna be tire fires real soon. Best bet is probably to slip to the Browns in the second round.

I could see a fit there in New England with Gronk hurt half the time. Whether Bill B would burn a 1st rounder on Fant I have no idea. Would be interesting stat to see in say last 10 years which teams have drafted a TE in 1st round.

Latest posts