One last thing on Keno

JDeMoney

If Iowa does not hire Keno Davis this time around, I feel strongly he will end up as head coach at Iowa State in a year or two.

Frankly, the idea of that bothers the crap out of me.

And with that, I'm going to try to go back into my hole and let this process play itself out. It's not as if anyone on this board has any real influence on Barta's decision anyway.

Go Hawks

I dont think we worry about if Iowa state gets him in a few years. We get the best fit for the job right now. I dont think we are regretting Iowa state getting Mcdermott and alot of people said the same thing when Iowa state got him instead of Iowa getting him.

Iowa State didn't hire someone with strong ties to their program as their head coach once when their job opened up. That coached went on to lead Iowa to about a billion National Championships and is now a broadcaster for IPTV.

I don't like that idea, but it also doesn't seem very plausible to me. Moreover, if Keno succeeds out there as I think he will, he will be getting interest from programs much more appealing than ISU. By that time, if Iowa has made a good hire, it ought to tend to discourage another coach who really knows the market from wanting to compete for the limited pool of instate recruits.

Does it sound a little like I'm trying to convince myself it wouldn't happen? That's because I am. As long as I live I hope I never feel like I need to root for ISU, and if Keno took that job I probably would. :)

If Iowa does not hire Keno Davis this time around, I feel strongly he will end up as head coach at Iowa State in a year or two.

And with that, I'm going to try to go back into my hole and let this process play itself out. It's not as if anyone on this board has any real influence on Barta's decision anyway.

Go Hawks
There is merit in saying ISU would go after Keno in a year or two if he is not hired at Iowa. He would take Iowa job, not sure about ISU.

100% chance he'll take the Iowa job too.

Get him a great assistant coaching staff and this guy will succeed at IOWA.

I don't understand the hate for this hire at all. I think people are blinded by their ignorance that Bruce Pearl or one of the top ten coaches in the country is going to come to rebuild Iowa.

I just put this in another post, and will paste it here as well:

"Keno Davis would be a definite possibility in my eyes, one that seems to meet most of the criteria I think most of us would want to see in our next coach, but I would not want him to accept the position for one reason, and that is that although 90+% of Hawkwyw Nation would accept him openly, there is still a portion of people out there who were not Mr. Davis supporters, and Keno being his offspring, this would automatically start him with a strike against him in some people's eyes. I wouldn't want to see our next coach start with some strikes right off the bat, it wouldn't be fair to them."

The damage of Keno going to Iowa State isn't Keno. It's the in-state connections Mr. Davis can help him with. It could bring some serious competition to Iowa's recruiting efforts.

However, if Iowa gets a strong recruiter in place this year, the "damage" Mr. Davis can do to our recruiting would be significantly less.

When you list out all of Keno's "strengths" most (if not all) are something tied to his dad. On his own merits Keno is not head coaching material for a major conference. Even the success he had at a mid-major was on the coattails of his dad.

I wonder why on earth he would have taken the Providence gig in the first place if he was so anxious to coach in Iowa. Wasn't he already at Drake? Perhaps he doesn't like it out there? I wonder what could have happened in the last two years?

I wonder why on earth he would have taken the Providence gig in the first place if he was so anxious to coach in Iowa. Wasn't he already at Drake? Perhaps he doesn't like it out there? I wonder what could have happened in the last two years?

A losing record.

Here is what I don't get...one of the big reasons people cite for why Keno shouldn't be hired is that his success came with someone else's players:

What exactly are we asking the next coach to do for the next couple of years???

While I admit, the sample is small, but he is showing that he can recruit to very difficult places, Des Moines (sorry Jon) and Providence. I don't buy that TD did the recruiting at Drake, that's why I include Des Moines above.

You might be able to find a better coach, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better FIT.

Agree with this...

Keno would do well at Iowa... he has already shown he knows the importance of assistant coaches and recruiting.
** A Prophet is Not Without Honor Except in His Own Home Town and His Own House - Matt 13-57....
If Keno had Providence ranked and in the NCAA tournament (which I think he makes next year IF he is still there) Iowa fans might be more up for it.

100% chance he'll take the Iowa job too.

Get him a great assistant coaching staff and this guy will succeed at IOWA.

I don't understand the hate for this hire at all. I think people are blinded by their ignorance that Bruce Pearl or one of the top ten coaches in the country is going to come to rebuild Iowa.

Let me see if I have this right.

After what we just went through we are again hoping to hire a mid-major coach that in their previous three years has an overall record of 59-38, 1 NCAA appearance, 1 NIT appearance, and has won the Coach of the Year award?

Am I on Candid Camera?

Why is everyone hung up on the FIT thing? I don't get it, I really don't.

Bruce Pearl = no ties to Tenn
Calipari = no ties to Kentucky
Krzyzewski = no ties to Duke

Why in the world does someone need to be tied to Iowa in order for them to be a good hire? Tradition? Location? Fan Base? All of these things will come around when you WIN.

The next coach must be able to come in and recruit talented players. The current players on our roster ARE NOT top shelf D1 talent. Sure you have guys like Fuller and Gatens that would play for most D1 teams but they wouldn't start for the majority of teams that are in the dance this year. I'm not trying to slight these guys at all, just pointing out that the next coach needs to IMMEDIATELY make an impact in recruiting in order to compete in year 2 and 3.

So please, enough with this Keno character. One year does not make a career. If he truly wants to be a hawkeye aka alford and IU, then let him cut his teeth in the coaching world for the next 5-7 years and prove that he can do it. He is 38 or 39 right now. Realistically our next coach isn't going to be here for 20 years, probably more like 5-10.

Why is everyone hung up on the FIT thing? I don't get it, I really don't.

Bruce Pearl = no ties to Tenn
Calipari = no ties to Kentucky
Krzyzewski = no ties to Duke

Why in the world does someone need to be tied to Iowa in order for them to be a good hire? Tradition? Location? Fan Base? All of these things will come around when you WIN.

The next coach must be able to come in and recruit talented players. The current players on our roster ARE NOT top shelf D1 talent. Sure you have guys like Fuller and Gatens that would play for most D1 teams but they wouldn't start for the majority of teams that are in the dance this year. I'm not trying to slight these guys at all, just pointing out that the next coach needs to IMMEDIATELY make an impact in recruiting in order to compete in year 2 and 3.

So please, enough with this Keno character. One year does not make a career. If he truly wants to be a hawkeye aka alford and IU, then let him cut his teeth in the coaching world for the next 5-7 years and prove that he can do it. He is 38 or 39 right now. Realistically our next coach isn't going to be here for 20 years, probably more like 5-10.

"Fit" matters in 2 instances:

1. The institution isn't a top tier institution (i.e. Kentucky, Kansas, etc).
2. The coach isn't a "big name" (i.e. Calipari, Roy Williams, etc).

Iowa is not a top tier basketball insitution nor is it going to get a "big name" coach (sorry, but Pearl ain't coming). So this makes "fit", in my opinion, of paramount importance.

12345-

Why does "fit matter?" For the same reason KF spurns the NFL every time they come calling, and the same reason Hayden Fry stayed at Iowa for 20 years.

The best hire is not one that splashes for 5 years and leaves the fan base wondering, "why did he/she leave?" It IS the one who makes Iowa home.

One, I don't think Keno is that good of a coach. Two, I think sleeping dogs should be left to lie in the Davis situation. What if Keno was brought back and sucked, and you had to can another Davis? Oh man that would be tough.

I think there are better options which provide less potential collateral damage.

Go Hawks

This is ridiculous. One reason McDermott was hired at ISU was because Pollard wanted to beat Iowa to the punch. How did that work out for the clones?

I could care less who ISU wants to hire. I sure as heck don't want to hire someone just because ISU might come calling next season.

Latest posts