One last thing on Keno

12345-

Why does "fit matter?" For the same reason KF spurns the NFL every time they come calling, and the same reason Hayden Fry stayed at Iowa for 20 years.

The best hire is not one that splashes for 5 years and leaves the fan base wondering, "why did he/she leave?" It IS the one who makes Iowa home.

This is basketball not football. Rarely, in basketball do you get a "lifer". You get the splash, then the splash leaves, then you get the next splash...finding a "lifer" is tough.

Name me 10 relevant basketball programs. I'm talking programs that without a doubt could go out and hire anybody they wanted.

We are no more or less relevant than any names you can come up with, I guarantee it. We pay top salaries for coaches. Sure some coach may not want to come to Iowa and rebuild our program but few are going to shy away because of the paycheck they will receive.

Name me 10 relevant basketball programs. I'm talking programs that without a doubt could go out and hire anybody they wanted.

We are no more or less relevant than any names you can come up with, I guarantee it. We pay top salaries for coaches. Sure some coach may not want to come to Iowa and rebuild our program but few are going to shy away because of the paycheck they will receive.

Duke, North Carolina, Florida, Michigan St., Ohio St., Arizona, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Syracuse, Pitt, Nova, Georgetown, Kentucky, Indiana etc. etc. etc....I would say Iowa basketball is less relevant than these programs right now.

One, I don't think Keno is that good of a coach. Two, I think sleeping dogs should be left to lie in the Davis situation. What if Keno was brought back and sucked, and you had to can another Davis? Oh man that would be tough.

I think there are better options which provide less potential collateral damage.

What if Keno was brought back and sucked? What if any coach was brought in and sucked? Really, to one extent or another it'll be a crap shoot and we'll be taking a chance.

Any hire has a risk of failing, it's a chance our program, or any program will take. That's why I don't blame Barta for Lickliter. It looked like a great hire at the time and I don't blame him at all for hiring him. It didn't work out. He took a chance hiring the national COY and it didn't work out.

Really, anyone outside of Bruce Almighty is going to come with some risk that he'll fail here. In fact, even BA could fail though it's less likely.

Thing is, they all have some kind of wart on their resumes. And, sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, there will be a segment of Hawkeye Nation who will whine about the hire and focus on some negative aspect about his record, no matter how minor.

I'd love to have Keno here, bring an up-tempo style, improve the recruiting connections we have now and undo the curse of letting Mr. Davis go.

There is zero chance that Keno takes the ISU job. That is a fact. He wouldn't come back to Iowa for the 2nd place job. That would be an insult to any Hawkeye, unless they were desperate. Keno being in the Big East conference is not desperate.

What if Keno was brought back and sucked? What if any coach was brought in and sucked? Really, to one extent or another it'll be a crap shoot and we'll be taking a chance.

Any hire has a risk of failing, it's a chance our program, or any program will take. That's why I don't blame Barta for Lickliter. It looked like a great hire at the time and I don't blame him at all for hiring him. It didn't work out. He took a chance hiring the national COY and it didn't work out.

Really, anyone outside of Bruce Almighty is going to come with some risk that he'll fail here. In fact, even BA could fail though it's less likely.

Thing is, they all have some kind of wart on their resumes. And, sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, there will be a segment of Hawkeye Nation who will whine about the hire and focus on some negative aspect about his record, no matter how minor.

I'd love to have Keno here, bring an up-tempo style, improve the recruiting connections we have now and undo the curse of letting Mr. Davis go.

Unless the BA ur talking about is BA Barackus. The A-team never fails. Bring in Hannibal as the head coach/leader, Faceman as the assoc. head/recruiting coordinator, BA as the Strength and conditioning coach and Murdock as your scouting coordinator. Boom. NCAA tourney next year.

There is no such thing, and bringing a coach in to remove a "curse" is a ridiculous reason.

People need to let go of the Mr. Davis era. It's ancient history.

There is no such thing, and bringing a coach in to remove a "curse" is a ridiculous reason.

People need to let go of the Mr. Davis era. It's ancient history.

How in the name of all that is decent and holy can we let go of an era that continues to curse us to this day!?!?!? I'll let go of that era when it lets go of us!!

:D

Duke, North Carolina, Florida, Michigan St., Ohio St., Arizona, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Syracuse, Pitt, Nova, Georgetown, Kentucky, Indiana etc. etc. etc....I would say Iowa basketball is less relevant than these programs right now.

I think a few are a stretch. Florida, Arizona, Oklahoma, Pitt, Nova, Georgetown...really and yet you leave off UCLA.

Coaches salaries of those on your list:

Kentucky: $4 million
Florida: $3.5 million
Kansas: $3 million
Ohio St: $2.5 million
NC: $2.1 million
Texas: $2 million
Mich ST: $1.75 million
Indiana: $1.48 million
Duke: $1.2 million
Syracuse: $1 million

Funny thing is you named 9 teams that are in the top 13 of coaches salaries in the country. Do you remember what we were paying Lick? I sure do.

Coaches salaries of those on your list:

Kentucky: $4 million
Florida: $3.5 million
Kansas: $3 million
Ohio St: $2.5 million
NC: $2.1 million
Texas: $2 million
Mich ST: $1.75 million
Indiana: $1.48 million
Duke: $1.2 million
Syracuse: $1 million

Funny thing is you named 9 teams that are in the top 13 of coaches salaries in the country. Do you remember what we were paying Lick? I sure do.

I'm not sure what your point is. You asked for 10 programs more relevant than Iowa.

I'm not sure what your point is. You asked for 10 programs more relevant than Iowa.

I don't get his point either.

He asked for programs who could hire any coach they wanted. I would say with 100% certainty, that each school you listed would be more attractive to an established coach than Iowa.

Latest posts