One argument to keep Coach Lick

After all the greatness you have predicted for Tucker, its hard to take your evaluation of others seriously ( Brust included ).

After all the greatness you have predicted for Tucker, its hard to take your evaluation of others seriously ( Brust included ).
I'll stand by my thoughts on Tucker.

When I watched him in high school, he had the prettiest shot I had ever seen at that level. He had some attitude problems in high school, something I mentioned when Iowa got the verbal. Did I think he'd end up getting two alcohol related charges in college? Absolutely not. But when he has played for Iowa, he has shown that he can hit the outside shot. He's had his ups and downs, but overall he had the potential to be a great player for Iowa.

What now? I don't know. Does Lick give him the boot? Maybe, maybe not.

All I know is what I saw at the time, a prep player that shot the ball better than more college players I had seen in recent years.

Fair enough. You seem to have had a lot invested in him, so his failure off court and on must sting some.

As for booting or not, I am of two minds about that. First, I hate to give up on a kid. Yet, he has had at least two foibles and to boot him after a third is hardly giving up. Second, is the " tough love" view, and I think it is most relevant in this situation. To play D I ball, to play at IOWA is a priviledge, and he seems unaware of what it is he has to lose. Perhaps he learns this and learns how hard he will have to work to get it back ( though not at IOWA ). IOWA can boot him, can offer him assistance to find help and to get in elsewhere, and give him hope if he works for it.

Its not fair to the others to tolerate the lack of discipline, the poor light he putting on them, and the distractions over all. To expect excellence, Tucker isnt cutting it, so time to move on.

Last edited:
By the way, did anyone notice how Payne disappeared in the last two minutes when the pressure was on? He couldnt get himself open to get the ball when pressed. Its not a good sign. Hope that is worked on very hard and he can improve very fast, or it will come back to hurt this team.

It will be interesting to see how many steps backward we will take without Tucker, however he hasn't been consistent and plays lazy bb at times... so it may not be as big of a blow as we think.

Lick is a great teacher of the game, when the guys run his offense it looks good... hence the 71 pts Iowa has put up the last two games...

ummmm............ What are you smoking?

1. Tucker is not great, but how in the hell can Iowa be better without him THIS year?
John Lickliter, Devan Bawinkle, and Nick Niri (Sp?) all suck and are worse players than Tucker. So Iowa will not be better with Tucker not playing. Tucker is better than ALL three players I listed, so the more they play the worse off Iowa will be.

2. 71 points against Drake.... Big deal (see teams that scored 71+ points vs. Drake)

IUPUI 82 points
Iowa State 90 points
Austin Peay 72 points
South Dakota 81 points
Binghamton 76 points

Big deal Iowa scored 71 points............

Fair enough. You seem to have had a lot invested in him, so his failure off court and on must sting some.

As for booting or not, I am of two minds about that. First, I hate to give up on a kid. Yet, he has had at least two foibles and to boot him after a third is hardly giving up. Second, is the " tough love" view, and I think it is most relevant in this situation. To play D I ball, to play at IOWA is a priviledge, and he seems unaware of what it is he has to lose. Perhaps he learns this and learns how hard he will have to work to get it back ( though not at IOWA ). IOWA can boot him, can offer him assistance to find help and to get in elsewhere, and give him hope if he works for it.

Its not fair to the others to tolerate the lack of discipline, the poor light he putting on them, and the distractions over all. To expect excellence, Tucker isnt cutting it, so time to move on.

Maybe the best thing for Tucker would be to boot him. If he has to face consequences, in the long run he might learn to stop doing stupid things. Lick is going to have to make the best choice for Tucker and the team and considering the choice might result in even more losses, and maybe his job, this is a very tough choice that I wouldn't want to have to make.

ummmm............ What are you smoking?

1. Tucker is not great, but how in the hell can Iowa be better without him THIS year?
John Lickliter, Devan Bawinkle, and Nick Niri (Sp?) all suck and are worse players than Tucker. So Iowa will not be better with Tucker not playing. Tucker is better than ALL three players I listed, so the more they play the worse off Iowa will be.

2. 71 points against Drake.... Big deal (see teams that scored 71+ points vs. Drake)

IUPUI 82 points
Iowa State 90 points
Austin Peay 72 points
South Dakota 81 points
Binghamton 76 points

Big deal Iowa scored 71 points............

If you watched any of the SC State game last night (i know that they are bad) but Iowa moved the ball a heck of a lot better... it is amazing what ball movement can do when you don't have a selfish player chucking up 3's every time he touches the ball. IMO Iowa will be a better TEAM in the long run without Tucker.

As for Neari, I know nothing about him. However, I said this at the beginning of last year, by the time Lil' Lick is a senior he will be a key contributor to this team... even if it is a role off of the bench to give a pg a rest... he knows his dads offense and he can run it effectively.

Another argument for keeping him would be that his press conferences help those in Iowa with sleeping difficulties fall asleep quickly.

If you watched any of the SC State game last night (i know that they are bad) but Iowa moved the ball a heck of a lot better... it is amazing what ball movement can do when you don't have a selfish player chucking up 3's every time he touches the ball. IMO Iowa will be a better TEAM in the long run without Tucker.

As for Neari, I know nothing about him. However, I said this at the beginning of last year, by the time Lil' Lick is a senior he will be a key contributor to this team... even if it is a role off of the bench to give a pg a rest... he knows his dads offense and he can run it effectively.

Yes, Iowa looked good last night once they into the game. I think their size and strength wore down South Carolina State, which should happen considering Iowa is a Big 10 team.

I don't think Tucker was a good as Stormin predicted, however Tucker is better defensively than Jon Lickliter or Devan Bawinkle. Jon and Devan can not keep anyone in front of them. Iowa will be worse off with Tucker not playing in my opinion. It doesn't really matter because I was expecting Iowa to only win about 4 big ten games with Tucker around.

I am glad Iowa took care of business and did what any BCS conference team should do to a MEAC conference team at home. Iowa eventually just put the hammer down and took care of business.

I guess that's about all I take from the game. I am really nervous to see what happens once Iowa gets into the Big 10 season with less time off and a lot tougher competition down 1 man. With Tucker you lose scoring from your line up. Bawinkle and Lickliter are going to give up just as many or more points on the defensive end as Tucker and score less on the offensive end. I just worry about depth even more so now.

Latest posts