On KCRG News they mentioned UNI is looking seriously to move up to Division 1

If UNI beats Iowa at Kinnick and does it impressively, I think that gives them legitimate bragging rights in the state. One could make the argument they are probably the best team in the state this year.

They hung with Wisconsin, which who may not be as good as we thought they would be, would probably still beat both ISU and Iowa this year if they played them.

I'm curious to see how it will play out on Saturday. However, I'm very afraid Iowa is the 3rd best team behind, ISU, and UNI.

UNI has beat ISU in the past, so it is not like they could not do it again. And, if I think what is going to happen Saturday, I don't see an ISU team beating them in Cedar Falls hypothetically speaking. In Ames, probably a toss up slightly favoring ISU.

And ISU is not a good football team this year and neither is Iowa (at least right now for both teams). Not so far fetched the panthers could do it.

Last edited:
If UNI beats Iowa at Kinnick and does it impressively, I think that gives them legitimate bragging rights in the state. One could make the argument they are probably the best team in the state this year.

They hung with Wisconsin, which who may not be as good as we thought they would be, would probably still beat both ISU and Iowa this year if they played them.

I'm curious to see how it will play out on Saturday. However, I'm very afraid Iowa is the 3rd best team behind, ISU, and UNI.

UNI has beat ISU in the past, so it is not like they could not do it again. And, if I think what is going to happen Saturday, I don't see an ISU team beating them in Cedar Falls hypothetically speaking. In Ames, probably a toss up slightly favoring ISU.

And ISU is not a good football team this year and neither is Iowa (at least right now for both teams). Not so far fetched the panthers could do it.

Just do youself a favor and change your name to FarleyPanther56, jeez can you toot the horn any louder.

If I'm not mistaken, ISU lost to UNI in 2006? Not sure why Clone fans find it so entertaining Iowa losing to UNI. You've experienced losing to them. Big deal if Iowa loses. Won't be that surprising. This Iowa team is as bad as that 2006 ISU team.

They were a last second missed field goal away from losing to them two years in a row.

LOL OK, you should feel lucky you don't play the schedule we do coming up..
way to hit the excuse treasury. I call it sandbagging or pre-ordering excuses for what we will witness as this season unfolds. With that in mind you should be concerned for your team as they couldn't find the end-zone for nearly an entire game against a very poor Iowa team. Coming into the Iowa game I was expecting for ISU to hang 35-42 points against Iowa and win with ease....this all because I listened to clowns talking up their team like it was the second coming. I find it odd but I did find some satisfaction out of this Iowa loss in the fact that it was such a lousy game and revealed that ISU isn't very good. They are better than Iowa but taint sayin much. ZERO points the entire second half against Iowa reveals to me that the entire state of Iowa will be planning our holidays around watching basketball. I guess as this season rolls on there will be some differences. As ISU continues to lose that dinky little stadium in the middle of a alfalfa field will be empty by the 5th loss. As Iowa continues to lose Kinnick will have some empty seats but still have 10-15K more butts in the seats than half price's capacity. I do wish Iowa had the same policy ISU did with children at that game...kids under 3 get in free.

UNI is considering the move up strictly for financial reasons. Living in CF I kind of like the idea. However I don't think a 15,000 seat stadium will cut it in FBS circles.

I always thought UNI could make it in the FBS.

Undergrads at UNI: 11,294
Undergrads at Northwestern: 9,914
Undergrads at Notre Dame: 8,372

I know that's not everything, but it could be done, if a lot of dominoes fall the right way (the right conference, a TV deal for $$, the right coach, etc.).

This is the same garbage dumb fans throw out every year... "Since Iowa beat Michigan, and Michigan beat Ohio State, and OSU beat Alabama, and Bama won the NC..... that means Iowa is the best team in the nation!!"

The great thing about college football is they actual play the game to see who the better team is, not dictate W/L by who should win.

Hate to say this, but it feels like some ISU and Iowa fans have a step brother syndrome. Afraid that the step brother might show them up when they think that have no right to. ISU has lost to UNI and played other close games while Iowa should have lost to UNI in 2009 and Iowa won the Orange Bowl. I'm not saying UNI would have went 11-2 with Iowa's schedule in 2009, but as of late UNI is closer to Iowa and ISU than most want to admit. We all know that if Iowa plays like they have the first two weeks then they'll most likely lose. However, I believe the Iowa offense will finally show up. The real difference is depth of the rosters right now between the 3 schools.

if you actually take the time to look into the situation, you realize that UNI is CONSIDERING a jump to FBS because of the impending changes in college football as a whole. Dannen believes that with the new playoffs that lower-tier FBS schools will essentially become what is now FCS, and the current FCS might go away or move to drake's non-scholarship level.

there is no reason for UNI to not be prepared for such changes. they have been very competitive despite having 22 fewer scholarships and even in their current state they are pretty much in line with MAC demographics. UNI has fewer students but averages more fans than some MAC teams.

The added payouts from the new playoff setup plus higher payday games would nearly offset the added scholarship costs, the issue is coming up with the money to fund the equivalent women's sports to remain Title IX compliant.

also, this would be a football-only move and they would stay in the MVC for everything else.

Comparing a small regional university to two prestigious national universities is misleading at best.

UNI would be the smallest school by almost half, but competitive in attendance

497footballattendance.jpg

if you actually take the time to look into the situation, you realize that UNI is CONSIDERING a jump to FBS because of the impending changes in college football as a whole. Dannen believes that with the new playoffs that lower-tier FBS schools will essentially become what is now FCS, and the current FCS might go away or move to drake's non-scholarship level.

there is no reason for UNI to not be prepared for such changes. they have been very competitive despite having 22 fewer scholarships and even in their current state they are pretty much in line with MAC demographics. UNI has fewer students but averages more fans than some MAC teams.

The added payouts from the new playoff setup plus higher payday games would nearly offset the added scholarship costs, the issue is coming up with the money to fund the equivalent women's sports to remain Title IX compliant.

also, this would be a football-only move and they would stay in the MVC for everything else.

I understand this but I'm also confused by it. Is he thinking the playoffs are going to expand? Because right now the lower FBS conferences will be getting no benefit from the four game playoff because the money will be distributed to the conferences from the participating teams.

Also, FCS schools do have 22 fewer scholarships - but they can split those scholarships so it's often that a school like UNI has close to 75-80 players on scholarship in some capacity.

At this point, before this coming Saturday, my vote is for UNI as the best team in the state. Definitely. If we did not play them, they would have my vote for sure.... But Saturday will tell a little more on that, we might pull our heads out of our asrse.

Last edited:
UNI would be the smallest school by almost half, but competitive in attendance

497footballattendance.jpg

UNI averaged 13,189 in home attendance last year.

The UNI-Dome holds up to 16,324, but record attendance is over 17,000.

The smallest MAC stadium is at Kent State, which holds 20,500. Most of the other MAC stadiums hold 22K-35K.

The MAC also just brought in Massachusetts for football only, so the MAC has 13 teams now and might be considering expansion to 14.

I'm not sure if UNI would be considered or not.

UNI is thinking that the trickle-down revenue produced by a growing FBS playoff will offset the cost. i think they are right. remember, we are looking 8-10 years down the road.

When UNI moved to D-1 in the 1980's, it was a calculated gamble that really paid off in terms of exposure for the university.

I can see the benefits of them moving up. But I really think they will drop off at first. Remember that they do get some very talented players that either couldn't hack D-1 or got kicked off of teams, that can play right away and not sit out a year. Very beneficial for them.

Plus, currently I believe most of the top FCS schools could probably hang with if not win a smaller FBS conference given a whole year to play. There are some bad non BCS FBS conferences.

That said... I would really think UNI would need a different stadium that could hold 20-25000. The dome is a great home field advantage, but you are probably leaving revenue on the table in a dome that small and thoughts of moving up.

Money at Notre Dame: a kajillion dollars
Money at Northwestern: .75 kajillion dollars
Money at UNI: 37 cents

I can see the benefits of them moving up. But I really think they will drop off at first. Remember that they do get some very talented players that either couldn't hack D-1 or got kicked off of teams, that can play right away and not sit out a year. Very beneficial for them.

Plus, currently I believe most of the top FCS schools could probably hang with if not win a smaller FBS conference given a whole year to play. There are some bad non BCS FBS conferences.

That said... I would really think UNI would need a different stadium that could hold 20-25000. The dome is a great home field advantage, but you are probably leaving revenue on the table in a dome that small and thoughts of moving up.

Like the B1G?

Latest posts