On-Field Success = Recruiting Success???

CJSHawk

Is anyone else concerned our suprising 8-5 record doesn't seem to be paying dividends in recruiting? Our latest commitment is a JC punter while we've missed on Brian Wallance, Trevon Young, and Adonis Jennings with Young and Jennings having a great chance to play right away. I hoped the addition of Ferentz, Woods, White, and Kennedy as assistant coaches would positively impact recruiting, but recently that doesn't seem to be the case.

2008 and 2009 were two very good years on the field for the Hawks, but we all know how disasterous those two years were in recruiting which led to the 2012 train wreck. I hope we're not repeating history!!!!

We are probably sitting 4th in the West in recruiting behind Wis, Neb, and NW, so not great, but really the 2012 season (4-8), is what we recruited this class on...next year needs to be better. The three teams ahead of us had better seasons in 2012 than Iowa...there is a year lag....same with new coaches...it will always be a struggle to bring kids north to play when they see -45 degree windchills in Jan.

The dividends of a great season are often not seen until the next recruiting class. A lot of players have made most, if not all, of their visits to campuses before the results of a great season are seen. You cite the horrible '08 and '09 recruiting classes, but I would argue that those are primarily a result of the '06 and '07 seasons in which Iowa went 12-13. Iowa had greater success in the '10 and '11 classes, which were more directly impacted by the '08 and '09 seasons. I think that Iowa's on-field success in 2013 will reap recruiting rewards in the '15 class, as has already been seen in the commitment of Jack Beneventi. Should Iowa put together back to back 8+ win seasons (quite likely, I think), the '16 class could be the best in years.

An 8-5 season is an "ok" season, it does not really help you with recruits but does not hurt you either. About the one success I see this year is that Iowa should be closing the gap on Nebraska. By beating them in Lincoln I think Iowa has done a lot to prove that Nebraska is not head and shoulders above Iowa. The legacy and prestige of Nebraska has faded considerably and Iowa could start winning some recruiting battles going head to head against Nebraska.

God damn it. Change your avatar

john-edwards-john-edwards-love-child-uncover-political-poster-1305658268.jpg

An 8-5 season is an "ok" season, it does not really help you with recruits but does not hurt you either. About the one success I see this year is that Iowa should be closing the gap on Nebraska. By beating them in Lincoln I think Iowa has done a lot to prove that Nebraska is not head and shoulders above Iowa. The legacy and prestige of Nebraska has faded considerably and Iowa could start winning some recruiting battles going head to head against Nebraska.

This is true. 8-5 should be an average season for one of the highest paid coaches in college football and not a signature year. In my opinion we should be pretty good next year and KF needs it to be pretty good also. With the weak schedule next year anything under nine wins is underwhelming. Six wins or less is grounds for termination. As one who has supported this coach it is time to wake up to reality. The reality that I and most Americans wake up to every day says that a man has to earn his keep. As always I wish nothing but the best for KF, his coaching staff, his family, and his Hawkeye family which includes most of us. Go HAWKS and kick some serious AZZ next season. Best wishes also to Fran and the gang the rest of the year, especially on Sunday against Ohio State. It's time for the basketball team to win a big game and get the snowball rolling all the way to the final four. If you can't think big then why think at all.

Good winning records, 50-50 win % in bowl games with some January 1 type bowls should equate to good recruiting.

But does KF still want to find diamonds in the rough?

Does KF have a self-fulfilling prophecy that "not a lot of highly rated players will want to come to Iowa, therefore we wont waste much time trying to get those players, even if they might fit it and want to come here, therefore Iowa's recruiting results average around 3 stars, mostly 3s, a few 2s, and a couple of 4 star guys"

Nebraska still gets most of its skill players from the larger talent pool warm weather states. Iowa has been much less successful at doing so.

yes generally speaking greater winning translates into good recruiting. There are some exceptions, think back to 2002-2004. Those players picked Iowa when things were pretty bleak. But I think that's the exception, rather than the rule.

We were a 5-4 team going into Nov. coming off a 3 year downtrend.......not too much to turn recruit's heads at that stage. Things started to look better in closing out the season but by then it's late in the game for many candidates................and I don't think one good year erases all doubts based on our recent past few years.

Different programs emphasize different things.

Aggressive recruiting (despite its importance to D1 football) is not as big a priority (financially, strategically, and philosophically) for some programs...as others. Unfortunately, it's proven to be a critical factor to sustained success.

I just wish this years success would have been enough to keep Ross P's commitment but obviously he flipped early in the year.

Ross P is a loss but we can grow OL and have a lot coming back. I'd like Ross but we don't need him. He may not see playing time in Bama for 2-3 years.

Is anyone else concerned our suprising 8-5 record doesn't seem to be paying dividends in recruiting? Our latest commitment is a JC punter while we've missed on Brian Wallance, Trevon Young, and Adonis Jennings with Young and Jennings having a great chance to play right away. I hoped the addition of Ferentz, Woods, White, and Kennedy as assistant coaches would positively impact recruiting, but recently that doesn't seem to be the case.

2008 and 2009 were two very good years on the field for the Hawks, but we all know how disasterous those two years were in recruiting which led to the 2012 train wreck. I hope we're not repeating history!!!!

Top propects often want to play right away and leave early for the NFL. A "full stable" can be a challenge for recruiting. It is amazing, for example, a QB would come here.

The Bigten as a whole doesn’t recruit well. The SEC gets close to three times as many 4 and 5* players as our conference. We lost out on all our players this year where we went head to head with SEC schools. That said, what I would like to see are just a few highly rated players at the RB, WR, DE and LB spots. Our depth would still be poor and injuries could derail a season, but we would have a much better chance if we had really good players at those positions.

Latest posts