On-Field Success = Recruiting Success???

I personally think that our conservative style offense hurts us on getting some of them big time recruites. A lot of kids want to go where they got a spread pass happy offense where they score a lot of points. That's just my opinion what does everybody else think?

What Iowa needs is a full-time staffer dedicated to recruiting. To not have that this day and age is unforgivable in big time football. For all the built-in disadvantages Iowa has; low population, lack of quality depth it simply does not make sense for this team to not have that. For a coach like Ferentz who's made their mark finding the diamonds in the rough it just makes one shake their head.

What Iowa needs is a full-time staffer dedicated to recruiting. To not have that this day and age is unforgivable in big time football. For all the built-in disadvantages Iowa has; low population, lack of quality depth it simply does not make sense for this team to not have that. For a coach like Ferentz who's made their mark finding the diamonds in the rough it just makes one shake their head.

Eric Johnson Bio - Iowa Official Athletic Site

If you want an excellent take on college football read The System by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian. One interesting chapter mentions the organization that Nick Sabin has developed over the years. For special teams they would have three or four staff break down film and then report the the special teams coach! Say what you want about Nick Sabin but your not going to outwork him. Our Hawkeyes are only mentioned once....Kirk's salary.

If you want an excellent take on college football read The System by Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian. One interesting chapter mentions the organization that Nick Sabin has developed over the years. For special teams they would have three or four staff break down film and then report the the special teams coach! Say what you want about Nick Sabin but your not going to outwork him. Our Hawkeyes are only mentioned once....Kirk's salary.

<<Say what you want about Nick Sabin but your not going to outwork him>>

Or outspend him...

I honestly don't see our recruiting changing much for as long as Kirk is here. We are known for bringing in 2-3 star players, with the exception of year we brought in Moeki and Co ... The philospohy of this staff has been pretty consistent with trying to find those guys with a chip on their shoulders - those who might have a little fire under their belly to prove something to the instate schools who may have passed them up ... It's been pretty much the same recruiting philosophy since Kirk has been here ... I don't see us starting to pull in a roster of 4-5 stars ... Not gonna happen ... We will always get 3-5 4-star guys (most years) and then sprinkle in 2s and 3s ...

We know how Ferentz adapts to change. Maybe Chris White might open his eyes in some respects. First year coach comes aboard and is the lead recruiter with 1/3 of Iowa's verbals and a participant on a couple others. Half of those made a verbal prior to making a visit to IC and they've held up thus far. That approach is quite contrary to what I've read about Iowa's approach of the past..........sell the visit first.

People make the difference. The Iowa coaches are all selling the same program so why do some seem to be more successful than others? We need a variety of skill sets with our coaching staff.......recruiting skills are only becoming more important as recruiting becomes increasingly competitive and ever changing.

I personally think that our conservative style offense hurts us on getting some of them big time recruites. A lot of kids want to go where they got a spread pass happy offense where they score a lot of points. That's just my opinion what does everybody else think?

the worst thing to hurt iowa football is the fact that it is in iowa.

the flip side of your argument is that there are still plenty of running backs and OL who want to run the ball. plenty of pro-style QBs who want to throw the ball out of a pocket. the whole other side of the line of scrimmage i would assume could care less about what style of offense they run, as long as it is successful i.e. wins.

so your argument drills down to a few receivers. iowa still throws the ball, and, in fact, there are three receivers who lead the receiver all time stat category that come from the KF era - so it's not like they have nothing to sell re: hey, we don't throw here.

We are probably sitting 4th in the West in recruiting behind Wis, Neb, and NW, so not great, but really the 2012 season (4-8), is what we recruited this class on...next year needs to be better. The three teams ahead of us had better seasons in 2012 than Iowa...there is a year lag....same with new coaches...it will always be a struggle to bring kids north to play when they see -45 degree windchills in Jan.

I wouldn't use the weather as an excuse when Wis, Neb and NW have better classes. :confused:

What do you guys think of our recruiting performance vis a vis Ferentz's salary? I'm given to believe he is quite well paid - it would be tremendously insightful if someone would go through a recruiting database, add up our total "stars" and then divide Ferentz's salary by that number.

That someone could then post their findings on here as though they are reporting some hard hitting sports investigative journalism. I am 60% sure I would read that post.

We should be able to recruit 4 star athletes to Iowa. If that dumpster fire in Ames can get 1 or 2 4 stars we should be able to get a half dozen.

Recruits don't go for a coach who tells them the truth and is straightforward. They want a coach who will blow smoke up their a** or offers to pay for their services with cash, skanks or whatever the kid wants.

Some of the responses in this thread are funny. The only recruiting class that was ever on par with our relative top seasons was the 05' recruiting class ranked 8th, following the 03' (10-3) season. The 04' class was ranked 41st on Scout and according to some people, that class should have been a result of our 02' season. the 06' class was ranked 40th and was the result of our 04' season (10-2).
In short, our typical recruiting class rank under KF is in the 40-50 range, win or lose. Our 14' class is ranked.....wait for it, 41st.

Latest posts