OMG!

Whats strange is Hutton hasn't played a single minute this year for Northwestern State thru 3 games, but he's still listed on the roster. Not sure if he's suspended or hurt or just isn't good.

Side Note: Thru 2 games, Junior guard Andrew Flemming is averaging 11 minutes for 0-2 Lipscomb o_O
My recollection is that while Hutton was the best defender, he just couldn't grasp the offense or fit into the team offense. You don't have to be a double digit scorer to contribute but you better know what you're doing in the offense. Otherwise it can get discombobulated really fast. I gave Fran a pass on Hutton when I heard that.

My recollection is that while Hutton was the best defender, he just couldn't grasp the offense or fit into the team offense. You don't have to be a double digit scorer to contribute but you better know what you're doing in the offense. Otherwise it can get discombobulated really fast. I gave Fran a pass on Hutton when I heard that.

Looking at that whole recruiting class is depressing as hell. Hutton, Flemming, Christian Williams, Dale Jones, Ahmad Wagner. not to mention Moss was in that class but redshirted. No wonder we suck...Fran swung and missed on every recruit that year.

I'm not sure where you heard this "provisional offer" story. But It's not accurate. Not according to Joe's Twitter timeline during recruiting.
I will say it is a bit of an assumption on my part. Basically Iowa had PG recruits scheduled to visit the following two weeks. If Joe doesn’t commit and those guys (who had “offers”) come to Iowa city and commit, Joe’s offer likely disappears. They staff wasnt going to go from potentially not taking a PG to taking two. That’s where the “conditional offer” comes from.

Now I could be wrong, but nothing on Joe’s twitter would be able to dispute that.

Last edited:
I will say it is a bit of an assumption on my part. Basically Iowa had PG recruits scheduled to visit the following two weeks. If Joe doesn’t commit and those guys (who had “offers”) come to Iowa city and commit, Joe’s offer likely disappears. They staff wasnt going to go from potentially not taking a PG to taking two. That’s where the “conditional offer” comes from.

Now I could be wrong, but nothing on Joe’s twitter would be able to dispute that.
When he reported the Iowa offer vs when he committed. Several weeks in between, IIRC. You are probably correct in the assumption that Fran told him the first PG to commit gets the ride. I think that's pretty standard in recruiting by position. Unless you are Kentucky or Duke. Who will take the #2 and #5 SF in the same class. We don't have that problem.

Sorry for speaking the truth? Look I like Joe and I’m not attempting to knock him or say Iowa shouldn’t have got him. I’m merely pointing out that people that think he’s going to come in and be the game changer “true PG” they’ve longed for are probably going to be let down, at least next year. We are slated to return JBo, Cmac, Moss, Dailey, Weiskamp, and Frederick. It’s going to be a challenge for Joe T to even find floor time.

Joe was a late cycle find by this staff after they missed on their initial targets. It appears he was given a conditional offer to commit while in Iowa City or potentially lose his offer if he left town without committing. Good for him he chose the hawks and happy to have him, I think down the road he will be a nice player for us.

Just trying to maintain some sense of reality around here.

Didn't mean to rag on you too hard and we won't know until next year, but according to Bain's article: "We could see a lot of Touissant right away. Toussaint's high school coach said that was Iowa's message during his recruitment: Come to Iowa and you'll get minutes." I don't think Fran would say that if he didn't think he could make an impact early. Whether or not Fran is a good judge of that is another story though...

[QUOTE="mopkins, post: 1772560, member: 70435"]Whats strange is Hutton hasn't played a single minute this year for Northwestern State thru 3 games, but he's still listed on the roster. Not sure if he's suspended or hurt or just isn't good.

Side Note: Thru 2 games, Junior guard Andrew Flemming is averaging 11 minutes for 0-2 Lipscomb, and Brady Ellingson is shooting 2 for 11 from 3 for Drake....[/QUOTE]

You just deflated the "Just ask Hutton" argument. It might just be he just wasn't any good.

Looking at that whole recruiting class is depressing as hell. Hutton, Flemming, Christian Williams, Dale Jones, Ahmad Wagner. not to mention Moss was in that class but redshirted. No wonder we suck...Fran swung and missed on every recruit that year.

Fran has a six man recruiting class next year too.

Whats strange is Hutton hasn't played a single minute this year for Northwestern State thru 3 games, but he's still listed on the roster. Not sure if he's suspended or hurt or just isn't good.

Side Note: Thru 2 games, Junior guard Andrew Flemming is averaging 11 minutes for 0-2 Lipscomb, and Brady Ellingson is shooting 2 for 11 from 3 for Drake....

So Ellingson is in mid-season form already.

Lorne Bowman is a fringe 4 Star Guard (probably more of a 3*) announcing tomorrow between Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Valpo. Sounds like it will be UW but Iowa is in the mix.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.hawkcentral.com/amp/1978145002

They were recruiting a few other 20’s hard in the summer.

Guess I heard so much about missing out on Carton and Locure that I didn't hear much else in the 2020 class. I'd take fringe 4 star guards all day long, especially if he's athletic and a tenacious defender.

I’m not even sure Joe plays many minutes next year. JBo and Cmac will still be around. Iowa was Joe’s on P5 offer. I think we need to temper expectations a bit here. I’m excited for his perimeter defense down the road but not sure that will be seen much next year.

disagree. Moss will be gone and JW will play the 2 and 3. JBo will play the 2 and CM and JT will share pg. JBo will plays some pg also, but i see him as a full time (almost) 2, next season. we actually don't have anyone else, other than CJF, but he's unproven.

disagree. Moss will be gone and JW will play the 2 and 3. JBo will play the 2 and CM and JT will share pg. JBo will plays some pg also, but i see him as a full time (almost) 2, next season. we actually don't have anyone else, other than CJF, but he's unproven.
Maishe Dailey? You do know that him and Moss are juniors?

Guess I heard so much about missing out on Carton and Locure that I didn't hear much else in the 2020 class. I'd take fringe 4 star guards all day long, especially if he's athletic and a tenacious defender.
Sounds like he can play a couple guard spots. All signs point to Wisconsin at this point though.

Iowa’s top target I think in the backcourt (XF is our top target) is Tyler Beard from Chicago. Right now we have a decent shot with him but if some big players get involved that will diminish.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/tyler-beard-202501

Side Note: Thru 2 games, Junior guard Andrew Flemming is averaging 11 minutes for 0-2 Lipscomb, and Brady Ellingson is shooting 2 for 11 from 3 for Drake....

Not that it really matters but Lipscomb is 2-0 not 0-2. ;)