Oklahoma State Predictions?

HaydensDad

Wondering if you guys (Tobini, Pin2Win, Fulsaas, AF, etc) wouldn't mind doing a weight by weight breakdown of how we will stack up against OSU next week. A lot of us more casual fans like reading these breakdowns, especially this year with so many new faces. Thanks!

Might as well throw in Penn State also. Here is my thoughts on Penn State

125 McD by Major over Martellotti
133 Toss up, I am assuming Long will be here, depends on who we have
141 Alton by decision over Ballweg
149 Molinaro by dec over Marion by major over Ballweg
157 Taylor by major over St John
165 Janssen by dec over Fischer
174 Ruth by dec over Lofthouse
184 Wright by dec over Gambrall (If Wright wrestles)
197 Lofthouse dec over Ortega
HWT Wade by dec over Rasing or Johnson

Winners, 125, 141. If St.John is ready to go, then his match with White should be a tossup, same as Gambrall vs Perry. I just don't see Iowa winning the other matches. That's only what I think. It sure would be interesting to see Nate Moore wrestle oliver, and to see Ethan beat benefiel. Go Hawks.

Oklahoma State is going to be an uphill battle but they could win if they wrestle really well. Looking at it now 125 is the only weight where I would consider Iowa a clear favorite. Okie St should be heavy favorites at 133, 149, and 197 for sure.

Iowa needs to win at least 4 of the other 6 matchups. I would say that 141 is very winable and I see 157 and 184 as close to toss up matches. Okie State has to be slight favorites at 165, 174, and HWT but they are winable if we wrestle really well.

If I had to predict it all right now I'd probably go something like the following:

125 - McDonough major Morrison 4-0
133 - Oliver dec Ramos 4-3 Could be a major
141 - Ballweg dec Silver 7-3
149 - Parks dec Ballweg 7-6
157 - Erisman dec St John 7-9 Derek is struggling, if he wrestles to his capability he wins
165 - Bailey dec Jannsen 7-12
174 - Benefiel dec Lofthouse 7-15
184 - Gambrall dec Perry 10-15
197 - Foster dec Lofthouse 10-18
HWT - Rosholt dec Rasing 10-21

That is my most realistic prediction with the meet being at OSU. Like I say though I could see a couple of matches going the other way and hopefully the good guys can pull it out.

Ramos and Oliver is an interesting match. All the things I like about Ramos, Oliver does better. Oliver is slick as it gets, a takedown artist. As much as I pull for Ramos, Clark's defense would be nice against Oliver.

Also, tired of hearing about Moore. After Midlands we're trying fix our team between the ears at alot of weights, not necessarily 133. Put Moore in and we're fixing another weight between the ears.

Lets see, your tired of hearing about moore because you obviously think, after reading your post, that he must be a basket case, and it's hurting the team. You like ramos, but, clark would keep it close because of his defense. So, lets put moore in there, and go from a tech fall to a major to a decision. Of the three, who beat oliver? Talk about between the ears.

"Of the three, who beat oliver? Talk about between the ears."

Andy, I honestly don't know if Moore, Clark, or Ramos have ever wrestled him. Last year iirc Oliver was Dennis' first match back in action after his injury and he lost 3-2.

If any of the three would beat him right now it would be considered an upset, but any of them could beat him. Clarks style would give him the most trouble I think. Ramos wins his matches on his feet, as does Oliver.

"Of the three, who beat oliver? Talk about between the ears."

Andy, I honestly don't know if Moore, Clark, or Ramos have ever wrestled him. Last year iirc Oliver was Dennis' first match back in action after his injury and he lost 3-2.

If any of the three would beat him right now it would be considered an upset, but any of them could beat him. Clarks style would give him the most trouble I think. Ramos wins his matches on his feet, as does Oliver.

& oliver stalled like a muther f'er in that match

I predict Okie State will spend lots of time on the edge of the mat stalling like usual. Lots of fake injury time outs and lots of time spent tying shoe laces. I have a feeling we are going to come out on fire. May not be enough to win the meet still, but it should be close.

After watching OSU at the national duals today I think that AJ can beat Bailey at 165. I also think that Lofthouse can hang with and maybe beat Benefiel as well. The problem is that I think that Oliver will get the major at 133. He is an absolute stud! 149 and HWT are going to be very big matches that Iowa can win if they wrestle well...

After watching OSU at the national duals today I think that AJ can beat Bailey at 165. I also think that Lofthouse can hang with and maybe beat Benefiel as well. The problem is that I think that Oliver will get the major at 133. He is an absolute stud! 149 and HWT are going to be very big matches that Iowa can win if they wrestle well...

I agree. Oliver is a good person to remember when we talk about Nate Moore. A year or so ago Jordan Oliver was considered a big time talent who couldn't control his weight and had issues. He got them under control and you see the talent.

After going to national duals on Sunday here are some of my thoughts.

125: McDonough by major 4-0 Hawks
133: Oliver by tech over Ramos or Major over Clark. so we'll say 5-4 osu
141: Ballweg by dec. over Kingdig huge swing match in my mind that I think we will get the win. 7-5 Hawks take the lead back.
149: This is tossup match. Ballweg needs to stay on Parks and keep it close till the end and sneek a takedown late to win this match. I'll say Parks for now but wouldn't be suprised if we win this one also. 8-7 osu
157: DSJ needs to step up and I am pretty sure he will and win by dec. here and make it 10-8 Hawks
165: This is another match that could go either way but I think if Jans stay crisp and doesn't roll around with him he wins. 13-8 Hawks
174: Another pivitol match for the outcome of the dual. Lofthouse is a goer and the possibilty is there for him to get it done but I think he will lose on riding time. 13-11 Hawks
184: Another very close match that could go either way but I really think Gambrall is a little further ahead of Perry right now and I will take Gambrall for now but this could easily go the other way. 16-11 Hawks
197: Depends on who they throw out there but I'll take Luke for now and its 19-11
Hwt: Suprise move by the Hawks here and they throw Johnson out there and he beats Rosholt and seals it for the Hawks 22-11 good guys keep the streak going but there are a lot of matches that could go either way and we could easily lose this.

Whoa, I like your optimism Tobini but I'll take that bet at 197. I just don't see any way that Luke beats Foster. I hope that he proves me wrong but is a big stretch to give that one to the Hawks.

After going to national duals on Sunday here are some of my thoughts.

125: McDonough by major 4-0 Hawks
133: Oliver by tech over Ramos or Major over Clark. so we'll say 5-4 osu
141: Ballweg by dec. over Kingdig huge swing match in my mind that I think we will get the win. 7-5 Hawks take the lead back.
149: This is tossup match. Ballweg needs to stay on Parks and keep it close till the end and sneek a takedown late to win this match. I'll say Parks for now but wouldn't be suprised if we win this one also. 8-7 osu
157: DSJ needs to step up and I am pretty sure he will and win by dec. here and make it 10-8 Hawks
165: This is another match that could go either way but I think if Jans stay crisp and doesn't roll around with him he wins. 13-8 Hawks
174: Another pivitol match for the outcome of the dual. Lofthouse is a goer and the possibilty is there for him to get it done but I think he will lose on riding time. 13-11 Hawks
184: Another very close match that could go either way but I really think Gambrall is a little further ahead of Perry right now and I will take Gambrall for now but this could easily go the other way. 16-11 Hawks
197: Depends on who they throw out there but I'll take Luke for now and its 19-11
Hwt: Suprise move by the Hawks here and they throw Johnson out there and he beats Rosholt and seals it for the Hawks 22-11 good guys keep the streak going but there are a lot of matches that could go either way and we could easily lose this.

This meet is not going to be the time, but when Ramos starts to rolling on people, I hope you keep up the hate. It's obvious that you don't like him, but get over the Moore thing.

Neither of Iowa's 133 will beat Oliver. The smart move is Clark just because he keeps everyone to a decision it seems.

Neither of Iowa's 133 will beat Oliver. The smart move is Clark just because he keeps everyone to a decision it seems.

You may be right, but Ramos' losses haven't been more than a decision either. My thinking is neither one is going to be able to stop Oliver's offense, but Ramos at least has the arsenal to attempt shots. If Clark does, he hasn't shown it yet.

125: Steele can't be too happy with his midlands outcome and his drive its like no others! I think he comes out firing on all cylinders and i hope the meet starts at 125 for iowa's sake. MCD wins by major 4-0

133: Oliver is a stud and whoever he wrestles here will be a win for oky state. i think ramos is liked by most of hawkeye fans but clark is a good wrestler against strong competition and is hard to take down. i think the smart move here to avoid the major is to put clark in there but oliver wins by decision over clark 4-3

141: Kindig is a smooth wrestler with lots of tricks up his sleeve. this match could go either way because i think ballweg can control him with his strength. being as kindig has been spotty this year i'll give ballweg a win in a crazy close match. ballweg over kindig 7-3

149: Parks is a scary opponent for someone like ballweg i think especially on his feet. again i see this match going either way but parks is wrestling just a bit better than ballweg right now and after midlands my faith in ballweg is lower than normal. parks over ballweg 7-6

157: i think this will be a match for dsj to get his mojo back. hopefully his sickness or mental problems are long gone. dsj knows whats on the line for the hawks if they win this dual and pull a great win for him and his team off. dsj over erisman 10-6

165: Janns is back on my favorites list on this team and i have total confidence he will revenge the 1 point loss to bailey. janns wins a great match and puts the hawks up 13-6!

174: benefiel is another oky wrestler that i think has had his ups and downs but don't see ethan winning this one. benefiel will wrestle good at home and get the cowboys back in this dual. benefiel wins 13-9

184: this match is scary for the hawks because he could be bonus points for the cowboys. grant doesn't wrestle perry very well and has been dominated in the past. grant just can't get it together but holds off the major for a critical team points 13-12

197: luke lofthouse isn't one to beat the guys we need him too and foster will be no difference. foster is a great wrestler and the streak is close to being over. foster beats luke to put the cowboys up 13-15

HWT: which rasing will show up that is the question??? if he wrestles like he did at midlands the streak is over but if he wrestles his match WHICH i think he will the streak will continue. boys this one is up to the heavyweights and i hope HOPE they start at 125 to have it come down to this match. rasing wins keeping the streak alive 16-15 :eek::eek::eek:

Latest posts