O'Keefe Says Goodbye

Some of us are smart enough to understand that KOK was actually a pretty imaginative offensive coach before KF got a hold of him and "toned" him down.

Anyone remember 2004? That was all him once we were down to our 28th string running back (Brownlee). KF took the reigns off of KOK and what he was able to do that year with no running game was nothing short of miraculous.

The throwback to Clark to win the Purdue game in 2002 (Kansas State actually copied that play later that year to beat USC).

His great play calling in the last 2 minutes of the PSU game at home in 2008.

I could go on and on.

The biggest problem I had at the end with KOK (which actually may have been more KF) was that he was too married to the gameplan during a game. If something wasn't working, it seemed more often than not that we continued to pound our head against a brickwall that wasn't going to move. Hopefully the next OC can be a bit more imaginative and flexible in-game when it is apparent that something isn't working.

Some of us are smart enough to understand that KOK was actually a pretty imaginative offensive coach before KF got a hold of him and "toned" him down.

Anyone remember 2004? That was all him once we were down to our 28th string running back (Brownlee). KF took the reigns off of KOK and what he was able to do that year with no running game was nothing short of miraculous.

The throwback to Clark to win the Purdue game in 2002 (Kansas State actually copied that play later that year to beat USC).

His great play calling in the last 2 minutes of the PSU game at home in 2008.

I could go on and on.

The biggest problem I had at the end with KOK (which actually may have been more KF) was that he was too married to the gameplan during a game. If something wasn't working, it seemed more often than not that we continued to pound our head against a brickwall that wasn't going to move. Hopefully the next OC can be a bit more imaginative and flexible in-game when it is apparent that something isn't working.

O'Keefe was a victim of his own success. The average fan does not comprehend that Iowa just has not historically had a lot of weapons on offense and O'Keefe set the bar way too high in 2002 with a great o-line, Mackey TE and Heisman runner-up QB. I can't wait to see the meltdown when the next guy flames early due to (a) new wrinkles in system that players and position coaches need to adjust to, (b) loss of 3 very good o-linemen, (c) loss of 90+% of rushing yards, and (d) loss of McNutt. You could bring in Air Coryell himself, but unless JVB settles down, the line gets really good, these freshmen RBs are ready from day 1 and the receiver combination of Staggs, Davis and Martin-Manley all shave .2 off their forty times and catch every ball in sight, the offense is gonna be down from last year's.

O'Keefe was a victim of his own success. The average fan does not comprehend that Iowa just has not historically had a lot of weapons on offense and O'Keefe set the bar way too high in 2002 with a great o-line, Mackey TE and Heisman runner-up QB. I can't wait to see the meltdown when the next guy flames early due to (a) new wrinkles in system that players and position coaches need to adjust to, (b) loss of 3 very good o-linemen, (c) loss of 90+% of rushing yards, and (d) loss of McNutt. You could bring in Air Coryell himself, but unless JVB settles down, the line gets really good, these freshmen RBs are ready from day 1 and the receiver combination of Staggs, Davis and Martin-Manley all shave .2 off their forty times and catch every ball in sight, the offense is gonna be down from last year's.

Shiiiiiiit. Does this mean I should cancel my season tickets?

I believe that KF was calling in several of the plays in this last season's game against Pitt (4th Qtr).

It sure looked like that if you were watching the bench in the 4th quarter.

Just saying.

Latest posts