Okay QB Geniuses...I Did The Work, Now You Defend Your Point

I am not on team transfer in the slightest but there are two obvious examples which hit close to home:

1) Peyton Ramsey (IU to NW)
2) Will Levis (PSU to UK)

Understand your perspective, but "I think he'd be good" has always been part of recruiting. Most of these guys are in the portal because they don't feel their skills have been used to their potential. So they're not going to have impressive stat lines.

That said, your underlying point is true. A new QB isn't the answer. A better offensive approach and coaching to go with it...IS.
You've got 3 types of guys on the transfer scene.

1) Caleb Williams-type guys who would never come to Iowa in the first place. They wouldn't touch our team with a 10 foot pole because they're looking for a title game and first round spot in the draft.

2) Sub-par performing guys who didn't like being a 2nd or 3rd stringer at a bottom third school. Do not want.

3) Diamonds in the rough like Wilson. Those would be perfect, but the problem is those guys are one in a million and, like coaching changes, you're odds are orders of magnitude greater that you're going to either regress or stay the same. Which is never a good gamble. Add to that the damage it'll do to recruiting and the transfers it'll cause within your own program, and it's a bad proposition all the way around.

I am not on team transfer in the slightest but there are two obvious examples which hit close to home:

1) Peyton Ramsey (IU to NW)
2) Will Levis (PSU to UK)
Levis didn't have squat for stats before transferring and was a dice roll, and there's not a Ramsey type guy in the portal. It's basically two 5* guys and a bunch of derps. That was kind of the point of this thread, is that for all the people wanting a transfer, who would they want?

Levis didn't have squat for stats before transferring and was a dice roll, and there's not a Ramsey type guy in the portal. It's basically two 5* guys and a bunch of derps. That was kind of the point of this thread, is that for all the people wanting a transfer, who would they want?
There were some guys that signed elsewhere from the portal who I think are comparable to Ramsey. You can't just point out who is available right now because obviously guys have already signed with their new schools. Bazelak comes to mind.

NW 2019 and Iowa 2021 were very, very similar situations in terms of poor QB play and disparity between offense and defense.

There were some guys that signed elsewhere from the portal who I think are comparable to Ramsey. You can't just point out who is available right now because obviously guys have already signed with their new schools. Bazelak comes to mind.

NW 2019 and Iowa 2021 were very, very similar situations in terms of poor QB play and disparity between offense and defense.
Ok let’s entertain Bazelak. Say we brought the kid on and Petras & Padilla both left. What then? If Bazelak gets hurt or stinks the joint up in the Big 10 (way different style of play than SEC), what do you do then? Throw Labas in there with no experience when at worst with Petras/Padilla you have a guy who can limp his way to 10 wins?

Throw Labas in there with no experience when at worst with Petras/Padilla you have a guy who can limp his way to 10 wins?
I'm not arguing your overall point, but I don't think either of the double Ps get IA to 10 wins next year without 1 of them getting to a 65% completion rate and a 2:1 TD/Int ratio. I also don't think a transfer gets you to this either.

I'm not arguing your overall point, but I don't think either of the double Ps get IA to 10 wins next year without 1 of them getting to a 65% completion rate and a 2:1 TD/Int ratio. I also don't think a transfer gets you to this either.

Have you seen the schedule for next year? I don't think Aaron Rodgers could lead the Hawks to 10 wins next season.

I think Fry's right outside Williams there isn't a decent QB in the portal which means we need to bring in all of them for a competition.

Out of the top 50 listed QBs in the portal as ranked by 24/7, here are the ones left. Rankings are obviously not perfect, but including 50 guys pretty much eliminates leaving someone out.

Since you guys are so dead set that Iowa has to go out and get the next Wonderboy, tell us who we should get from this list, why we should get them (concrete reasons based on in-game performances and stats, none of this, "I think he'd be really good," bullshit), and why you think they'd come to Iowa.

Here you go, put your money where your mouths are.

View attachment 8575

Let's hear it, Swamis. Show us what you want and some good reasons why...not some stuff about your cousin's wife who works at the Burger King across the street from XYZ University and heard a graduate assistant say how well this particular QB looked on the scout team.

ALSO...tell us what non-blue blood school has brought a transfer QB in and produced markedly better results, and then we can compare that to how many of these incoming transfers happen, and come up with a percentage of times that it actually works.

Put up or shut up.
What about Russell Wilson when he went to Wisconsin?

What about Russell Wilson when he went to Wisconsin?
Out of how many transfers do you think there’s a Russell Wilson or even someone remotely close?

50%? Not even close

30%?

1%?

This thread hit dead horse territory for both sides long ago.

Out of how many transfers do you think there’s a Russell Wilson or even someone remotely close?

50%? Not even close

30%?

1%?

This thread hit dead horse territory for both sides long ago.
Just finished reading through the whole thread and answered your question right away. Russell Wilson immediately came to mind as an example to show it can happen.

Odds of a Wilson falling into your lap....likely low, but almost zero at Iowa because......

One thing is for sure, Kirk won't know if it will work if he does not even entertain the idea. Williams is the best on this list, but there were other QBs that could have been interesting suitors, but got snagged up.

Ok let’s entertain Bazelak. Say we brought the kid on and Petras & Padilla both left. What then? If Bazelak gets hurt or stinks the joint up in the Big 10 (way different style of play than SEC), what do you do then? Throw Labas in there with no experience when at worst with Petras/Padilla you have a guy who can limp his way to 10 wins?
One reason I mention Bazelak is that Iowa recruited him. That's probably the only way I could see them taking in a transfer QB especially if someone leaves the position group from Iowa (like Deuce did this year).

For instance, let's say Ty Thompson starts for Oregon, gets hurt, and his backup lights it up and they win the Rose Bowl. Thompson will probably transfer. Would Iowa be likely to land him? No. But he took a serious enough look at the program (unofficial visit in Iowa City and an at-home one with the coaches in Arizona) that KOK and BF should absolutely reach out to gauge his interest if the QB position at Iowa had not improved markedly.

Latest posts